New Dublin Opera company in 2010

New Dublin Opera company in 2010

Postby Yixian » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 pm

THE THREE galleries – National Gallery, Imma and Crawford – will now not be amalgamated, the Minister for Arts, Martin Cullen, has decided, but the National Gallery and Crawford will merge, while Imma remains a stand-alone institution. The Abbey looks very likely to be relocated to the GPO by 2016, and the current feasibility study sounds like a formality. Lastly, the decision on how a new national opera company in Dublin will be established in 2010 will be taken within three months.

He is emphatic that a national opera company based in Dublin will be set up in 2010. “I always had this idea about a national company, but I never saw Wexford as the home for it, albeit it has a fabulous theatre. Wexford Opera has created an international brand, and it could and should do more with that brand.” But, he says, “I don’t think a national opera company in any country would work outside its capital”, and he feels the Wexford festival would get lost in the larger opera company. Parallel with Wexford, a new opera company will emerge from Opera Ireland and Opera Touring Company, and he wants to finalise details and structures on how this will work within three months. “This would be driven from the Department, working with the Arts Council and the two opera companies.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/1212/1224260567100.html

Sounds good to me! Couldn't agree more that, whilst Wexford has a stunning opera house, Dublin is where such a company should be based.

Hopefully we'll see a new opera house to go with it? Something in the docklands? Something tailored to opera, with subtitle screens?
Yixian

Re: New Dublin Opera company in 2010

Postby notjim » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:54 am

Its always opera this and opera that, we need opera, we need an opera house, a real capital is one with opera. I don't get it: why opera and not ballet.
notjim

Postby teak » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:44 am

Absolutely, Notjim.

Not only is the country starved of a place to perform ballets but a proper academy of dance (both classical and modern) would pay its own way to a large degree -- young ones doing paid-for classes, older people using the stretches for physiotherapeutic benefit, light weight boxers/soccer players/etc using it for improving footwork, film scenes, TV adverts, etc.

But let it come to the provinces, not Dublin.
Christ, how we need something other than making money and roaring at sportsmatches here . . .
teak

Postby Yixian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I've always thought Dublin is missing a trick not having a large, dedicated venue for irish music and dance - maybe launch it alongside a yearly competition of some kind?

Say what you will but there's no denying that would draw a LOT of tourism, particularly from the US/Argentina.
Yixian

Postby lostexpectation » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm

what would one specifically need in a irish dance venue?

where are our national dance and national irish dance orgs?
lostexpectation

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Yixian wrote:I've always thought Dublin is missing a trick not having a large, dedicated venue for irish music and dance - maybe launch it alongside a yearly competition of some kind?

Say what you will but there's no denying that would draw a LOT of tourism, particularly from the US/Argentina.

i tend to agree with you..... there's a great site going down on the docks (u2 site)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Ireland