galway harbour open ideas comp

galway harbour open ideas comp

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: galway harbour open ideas comp

Postby rob mc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:21 pm

So what happens now? I mean will they actualy go ahead with this thing?
rob mc

Postby missarchi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 pm

If they do build it I hopes its not noisy inside.
Does Galway really need this?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby reddy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am

Just an ideas competition.

Interesting find there Paul. Still liked the winner - the exhibition was great - really good turn out.
reddy

Postby mcadesigns » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:22 pm

great find Paul, the similarities are uncanny. I enjoyed the exhibition greatly. From a personally point of view, i found allot of the ideas were far to big and overpowering, there seem to be very little minimalist ideas on show. But two exhibits really stood out for me, one was where there was no building above ground level, it was all underground at water level and the other was by an english architect, where it seemed the building was rising up from the water, very simple ideas but very powering aswell. Just curious to find out what everyone else thinks of the exhibition and would a building here be justifiable or just turn out the millimium dome in london
mcadesigns

Postby spoil_sport » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm

I knew I saw it before somewhere! I could count at least 2 more in the shortlist alone that were pretty similar, even the winner of the student category was not a million miles away in overall form.
I think one of the spekers made a quip about making it an annual event, my impression was that they were not really serious about building it?
I think the burried one mentioned above was also in the student category, I think the students were free to take a few more liberties with the brief. Some were better for it, others... wern't.
spoil_sport

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:57 pm

hmmm - I wonder if anyone has shown this to Gigon and Guyer........I smell a court case
wearnicehats

Return to Ireland