Dissertation on atmosphere in architectural space

Dissertation on atmosphere in architectural space

Postby von06 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi guys, I quite new to the forum and have never posted before. Please take it easy on me!

I'm in my 4td year of Interior Architecture in Edinburgh and am trying to settle on a topic for my dissertation (which is stressing me out big time!). I’m thinking about looking into the idea of how atmosphere is created in architectural space and how one can be completely overwhelmed in one space and not in another. I’m thinking I might set up an interview of some sorts in various buildings to find out what is it that draws an emotional response from the viewer and allows them to connect with the building and in some cases what is it that causes them to dislike an interior intensely. What is it that makes a ‘good building’ as opposed to an ‘interesting building’?

I’ve never tackled something like this before and would love to get some feedback from you guys on whether this is something worth pursuing for a dissertation?

Cheers y
von06

Re: Dissertation on atmosphere in architectural space

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I assume you have read Peter Zumthor's "Atmospheres", if not, you should.

I think your proposal sounds like it has good potential, keep going, be careful about building it around such interviews, they may not yield as much useful info as you expect.

Perhaps another source is in literature, in a book you find the author might have already described their emotional response to a space. Perhaps an exercise in how architectureal space and interiors are represented in literature or even film and photography might help.
spoil_sport

Postby von06 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:48 pm

hi spoil_sport. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm reading Zumthor's "Thinking Architecture" at the moment and waiting for "Atmospheres" to come back into our library!

I was thinknig about maybe including something on Turner's work. His painting are just so beautiful (and atmospheric!) It's a really good idea though on looking into film,photography and literature. I hadn't thought of that. I'll post some of my findings!
Thanks
von06

Postby Uglydwarf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi von06, i see this thread is more then a year old but i stumbled upon it when looking for information about atmosphere and interior architecture.
I too am a student in the 4th year (1st master) of interior architecture in Antwerp, Belgium.
I have to write a thesis this year, and as you can guess, my topic is "Atmosphere in Interior Architecture: the sensory perception of space"

I've been busy with environmental psychology since the 2nd year, so at first i wanted to focus on that bit but I got more and more interested in how we, as interior architects create an atmosphere, what do we use, what senses do we try to influence.
Of course it's quite a difficult subject because of the non-objective part (mainly our own background, culture,...) of it, but trying to define atmosphere, sensory perception, the elements of atmosphere, the elements of perception, could be useful for interior architects to know what and how they can influence an atmosphere.

To much buildings at this moment are purely made for the visual impression of it, there's no connection, they have the 'wow'effect, but thats about it, thats why i would like to add the extra dimension of atmosphere!

Ok, now the question, how did your research end up, did you get any useful information you would like to share, or something that I can maybe build on, a list of literature or
It would be great to continue your research, we can keep in touch and maybe exchange ideas...

You can always contact me on d3us_world (AT) hotmail.com
Or by replying this post,

I hope that even after a year you still get this message =D and hope to hear of you soon,

Sincerely Yours,
Ward D.
Uglydwarf

Return to Ireland