The new Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2009 are out- and OH DEARÂ….

The new Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2009 are out- and OH DEAR….

Postby Meow » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 am

The new Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2009 are out- and OH DEAR….

They are starting on 1st October, 2009.:eek:

If you have an existing building that should have a fire cert but doesn’t and you want a fire cert on it now- after the 1st October you will have to pay 4 times the fee to your local authority (11.60 per sq.m as opposed to 2.90 per sq.m).

It doesn’t affect buildings that haven’t been built yet. The process remains as before and the fee remains as before, so don’t sweat it on the stuff your clients are doing the right way around.

This was announced on 11th September in “Iris Oifigiuil” but there has been no other big formal announcements. It seems to be very- “on the Q-T”, and coming into effect VERY soon.

I was talking to some architects in Dublin and have found that a number of them did not know that this document was yet released and were VERY surprised to see that it comes into effect on the 1st. So surprised that they have sprung into immediate action to get some Fire Certs on existing buildings in before the deadline!

I think this is being kept a secret by the County Councils so that they are not bombarded by Fire Cert Applications this week, and so that they can claim bigger fees from the 1st October.

And I think that is an utter disgrace and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

I do however understand that people have broken the law by not doing things by the correct process anyway and that it’s not out of the question to punish them but- come on- this is the real world- there’s a recession on- it’s not fair to give such short “notice”.

Get your Fire Certs on existing buildings in NOW before 1st Oct!

Here’s the link to the document:
http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/RHLegislation/FileDownLoad,21091,en.pdf
Meow

Return to Ireland