grangegorman allocated 262 million

Re: grangegorman allocated 262 million

Postby cgcsb » Sat May 09, 2009 12:56 pm

I was at a consultation of DIT societies yesterday in Aungier Street regarding the new campus. The debate now is focusing on what goes where in the student hub, and what the old listed buildings should be used for. It seems the larger societies will each have their own office.

The Issue of installing a cinema and a broadcasting centre for radio and television was also discussed.

There was a moment of controversy when the talk turned to the location of the student bar and the 4 people representing the Islam soc. up and walked out.
cgcsb

Postby johnglas » Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm

All the way back to Thingmystan?
johnglas

Postby ihateawake » Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 pm

johnglas wrote:All the way back to Thingmystan?

Beautiful country! I stay there every summer. Though it is full of catholics and they can be very preachy and over sensitive. Under thingmystani law condoms are illegal, as is homosexuality and denial of creationism. These details are of little consequence however, you can drink yourself to death over there and its totally cewl :cool:
ihateawake

Postby johnglas » Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 pm

So PC! If you can cite anywhere in the West where any of the above are illegal, then I'll defer.
(And is it OK in PCland to caricature a whole Western belief-system, ostensibly as a defence of Islam?)

PS It was a joke, already.
johnglas

Postby ihateawake » Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Aha! Defer then! :D

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/corbett-religion-court-2387684-farnan-selna

In terms of legality its more a case show me where it is legal for gays to marry, this is active legal discrimination based on something as immaterial as interracial marriage. Something illustrated really well by a reddit parody ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicYaAsc1V4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coy7KAnY2_U ... and fod :p

As for condoms, not illegal, but hey why should they be when the head of the church tells it like it is... http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0318/pope.html

And as for the laws of PCland (where I also holiday), it borders Jordan, so its totally ok.

That wasnt my point at all however :D Did kind of jump at that one, sorry, but I found it distasteful, reeked of "ye dont like it?? fck off back to your own country then". I played on the extremes to illustrate the fact that we have a stupid religion too (stupid is relative I guess). I am not trying to defend Islam at all, Im agnostic, and have equal distaste for many institutionalised religions, I was merely trying to attack your comment about those people for engaging in a process which many in this country do, regardless of nationality. Having friends from xxxxxxstan who are "muslim" like I am "christian" I didnt appreciate the implication. You'd get looks for that one irl (in real life ;))

PS It was a joke, already.

A bad one. The big C one on the other thread, that was funny :p

edit: wow, rant :D sorry for the OT.
ihateawake

Postby johnglas » Sun May 10, 2009 6:51 pm

This is getting tedious: if you object to people having a discussion (sic) about a bar, to the extent of walking out, then you really have to ask yourself what you are doing in a western democracy. And yes, one option is for you to 'go home' wherever that is. If you stop discussing things because people might 'walk out', then you really are in trouble.
You may dislike my humour, but I reserve my right to make bad jokes. You certainly have not made me defer - your logic is all over the place. By the way, I am in a civil partnership; it gives me all the legal rights of a marriage without the bad taste and the exorbitant rip-offs. I don't feel my rights have been in any way diminished.
johnglas

Postby ihateawake » Sun May 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Hheh, I wasnt trying to construct a logical argument to get you renounce your dissident ways :rolleyes: Just highlighting the ridiculous aspects of the local religion, just as those people did theirs. Im not trying to be the PCpolice, "defend to the death", etc, as such, fire away with the jokes, if someone doesnt like em, they might say so in a western democracy.
ihateawake

Postby johnglas » Mon May 11, 2009 7:24 pm

OK; points taken - let's hope the bar proposals are worth it after all!
johnglas

Postby lostexpectation » Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 am

lostexpectation

Postby Frank Taylor » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm

Today's bord snip report recommends merging DIT and Blanchardstown and Tallaght IT in a supercampus in Tallaght. It also recommends selling grangegorman. But who would buy it?
Frank Taylor

Postby cgcsb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:06 pm

That's a bit of a mental suggestion.
cgcsb

Postby layo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 pm

yeah, i mean surely abandoning the grangegorman site and masterplan altogether is a wasteful suggestion? i mean how much has already been spent on architects fees to design the new dit campus?
layo

Postby PTB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 pm

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/aug/02/grangegorman-residents-call-for-15bn-dit-campus-pl/

Grangegorman residents call for €1.5bn DIT campus plan to go ahead
John Downes, News Investigations Correspondent

Any decision not to proceed with Dublin Institute of Technology's €1bn-plus move to Grangegorman in north inner-city Dublin risks condemning the area to "further neglect" and should be resisted, local residents have warned.

In a recent letter to Taois*each Brian Cowen, they note that the Bord Snip Nua report advocated the withdrawal of all current funding to the Grangegorman Development Agency (GDA) – about €1.5m – and the amalgamation of Tallaght IT and Blanchardstown IT with DIT.

The report also stated that the withdrawal of funding for the agency would avoid further expenditure on the "planned €1.5bn capital development programme associated with Grangegorman".

It suggested the state should dispose of the land to generate revenue for the exchequer, and that consideration be given to consolidating DIT on alternative lands, such as those at Tallaght IT.

But writing to Brian Cowen on behalf of local residents, elected GDA board member Pirooz Dáneshmandi said that it is "difficult to see how DIT could fit on the campus of IT Tallaght".

"This idea is flawed even from a monetary point of view. Apart from the difficulty of finding a buyer, the sale price would be the lowest possible in today's market. It would be nothing short of giving away a valuable public resource at a bargain basement price."

"Furthermore, the report does not contain any cost-benefit analysis of not moving DIT to Grangegorman even in economic terms, not to mention the social consequences.

"Our community remains committed to the regeneration of the area and we urge you not to condemn our neighbourhood to further neglect."

Asked for its views on Bord Snip's recommendations, the GDA said: "We will await the outcome of this consideration, but remain committed to meeting our current project deadlines."

However, the Sunday Tribune understands that the board has still not received sanction from the Department of Education to proceed with its draft strategic plan, which was sent to government eight months ago.

According to the GDA's most recent figures, the overall cost of providing DIT's core educational facilities on the Grangegorman site is currently estimated at €493m, 60% of which it says will be provided through DIT funds from disposal of property, savings and philanthropy, and DIT's sports fund.

"All complementary facilities such as student's accommodation, retail outlets science and industry park facilities will be self-funding and will not require exchequer contributions," it adds.
PTB

Postby Devin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 am

[IMG]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4646/32297301.jpg[/IMG
Devin
Old Master

Postby kceire » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Devin wrote:[IMG]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4646/32297301.jpg[/IMG

fixed your post :)
kceire

Postby PVC King » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

KC - nice one!!

Devin; why are you being so cryptic?
PVC King

Postby Devin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Sorry, yeh, incomplete posting.

The Grangegorman Strategic Plan proposes dumping blocks in front of the pedimented wings of Francis Johnson's monumental early 19th century former Richmond Asylum :O :O :O

The Grangegorman plan is open for submissions until 7th of December.
Devin
Old Master

Postby kefu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Set them back another fifty yards and I'd have no problem with this.
Considering it's virtually impossible to get a view of this currently derelict building as it stands, reopening the vista in this format seems a welcome development to me.
We've already seen historic buildings in Trinity and DCU (to a minor degree) very well integrated with their modern elements.
kefu

Postby Devin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:05 pm

I think the front of it should be kept free of development. It's a really great severe monumental elevation that needs a proper setting.

We've been so browbeaten that Dublin is insufficiently dense and needs to densify that we are prepared to accept development almost anywhere.
Devin
Old Master

Postby Bago » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm

Horrendous. Would it not be logical to put 2 taller blocks flanking the square, creating a... square. Is this random placement of buildings a current trend? Looking at plans of redevelopment of mountjoy and mater appear very similar, wonky angles all over the place, no attempt at a logical streetscape. liebskind street.
Bago

Postby kefu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm

If you look at the site's footprint in the above picture, it appears to have been shaped to fit precisely into the land available.
If they were to go with a traditional square, then the view of the original building would be even further obsccured.
I personally think it would work if as I said above, the buildings to front and back were stepped back another 20 metres and perhaps had a storey or two added to make up what has been lost.
Maybe I am acting as if browbeaten, but the alternative to this project is the continued dereliction of this particular part of disappeared Dublin, and the inevitable situation where this building can no longer be salvaged in any form.
kefu

Postby Bago » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

The central building demands symmetry in front of it, anything else is just sloppy ignorant uninformed design. I'm sure a case could be made for a storey or 2 extra on some L shaped buildings to the front in order to create a coherent design.
Bago

Postby onq » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Its not the easiest site, but use of erratics needs to be controlled for best effect, some of McGarry Ní Eanaigh's schools work showing this to best effect.
I'm not sure a modernist block treatment with a twist of erratic is an adeauate response here - raising the whole building á la Steve Holl might be.
However, to give credit where its due, the height refers strongly and does not compete, while the scale of the bays attemtps to refer.

Butm given that you're workign with a stronly axial existing compositino, the design seems to have have learnt nothing from Capability Brown.
It seems a poor response in terms of massing, materials, reference and playing with the main axis and tangential views and approaches.

And of course, there is no use of pitched roofs but we still see the ubiquitous massive overhangs - why, sun screening?
Expect leaks á la Fosters School and disappearing canopies á la Carrickmines Apartments.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby Bago » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:20 am

onq wrote:Its not the easiest site, ........canopies á la Carrickmines Apartments.

ONQ.
and it's shiny.
Bago

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:02 pm

dead duck. it's been IMF'd
wearnicehats

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland