Geary's Biscuit Factory Limerick

Geary's Biscuit Factory Limerick

Postby kierano » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi,

I am seeking internal or external photographs (or any information) of Geary's Biscuit factory which was located at Merchant's Quay Limerick. Both my parents worked there in the 50's.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Kieran
kierano

Re: Geary's Biscuit Factory Limerick

Postby Tuborg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

I found the following item on the Limerick City Archives website.

Geary's Biscuit Factory, 1908-1982 ([url=http://la.cslhost.com/archon/findingaid.php?id=160&nostyle=1"]Link[/url])

Reference Code: IE LA P11

Scope & Content:
The series of photographs, provides a clear insight into the physical layout of the building in its former role- as a jail, with some shots also of the manufacturing enterprise that occupied the building for the majority of the twentieth century- large scale machinery. The photographic survey also includes some interesting wall sketches- probably drawn by the Geary children in the 1920's.

The collection also holds a series of letter books which provide a clear insight into the daily management of the business as well as the general climate in which industry operated in Ireland, notably the difficulty of receiving supplies from England during the First World War, the fear of arson and attack during the War of Independence as well as the challenge of delivering supplies throughout the war of independence when ambushes and requisitioning were commonplace. The collection also includes a large volume of account books that illustrate the daily transactions, purchasing of equipment, raw material and the changing financial climate. The collection includes a large number of wages books listing the large number of people that found employment in Limerick with Geary's.

According to the City Council site, viewing is "by appointment", so you'll have to get in touch with them if you want to see the hard copy.
Tuborg

Postby dc3 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

Tuborg has unearthed a mine of useful stuff for you.

I also think you might find some aerial photos of this location, not as the prime target but as an element in the background, in the Morgan photo collection at the National Library Photo Archive in Temple Bar. It has been a while since I looked at them and this area was not my focus then.

When I was a child visiting Limerick, the huge Geary biscuits were always on my shopping list - they were huge, sold individually, and as large as an American cookie. (A product completely unknown to us then, in an era before television).
dc3

Postby kierano » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Tuborg,

I must arrange an appointment next time I am heading in the Limerick direction. Thank you for the excellent advice and if by change you come accross more information, please let me know.

Kindest regards, Kierano
kierano

Postby kierano » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi DC3,

I'll be in Dublin in December so I'll arrange to visit the National Library Photo Archive in Temple Bar. Thanks for the excellent advice. Kindest regards, Kierano

PS - I recall the biscuits well. My father us to bring home the broken ones each evening. They were delicious.
kierano

Postby erinamac » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi, I would be very interested in any memories that you have of Geary's Biscuits and Sweets as my grandfather (Gus Geary) was the owner of the company. It would be fun to share these memories with my mom as well. She has the same memories of her father coming home each night with his pockets filled with broken cookies for her and her sister. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards, Erina
erinamac

Postby dc3 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Regarding the biscuits and sweets of Gearys

I have very warm memories of the biscuits in particular. When visiting relatives in Limerick in the late 1950's they were always on the list of items to be bought, as they seemed not to circulate beyond Munster. My mother, in particular who was from Limerick was much taken with them. A vaguely lemonish flavour, if the years do not distort memory. If I recall correctly they became harder to find each year.

Gearys slab toffee was also on the list, I was less keen on this, as it was nigh impossible to break it. It must have been dear to the hearts of Limerick dentists, as you invaribly tried to bite through an over large piece of it. The Macintosh brand slab toffee, which was easier to find, was much softer.
dc3

Return to Ireland