Old entertainment sites in Limerick City

Old entertainment sites in Limerick City

Postby gambra » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Does anyone have a list of old sites that contained cinemas, ballrooms, music venues and any other entertainment sites in the city. I have a feeling there's a book or two on the subject around and any titles of them would be appreciated.
gambra

Re: Old entertainment sites in Limerick City

Postby CologneMike » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:52 am

gambra wrote:Does anyone have a list of old sites that contained cinemas, ballrooms, music venues and any other entertainment sites in the city.

I had a quick flick through the photograph books of Sean Curtin (Limerick ~ A Stroll Down Memory Lane), which reveal many old such establishments. He himself might have compiled such a list.

See Sean’s contact link

gambra wrote:I have a feeling there's a book or two on the subject around and any titles of them would be appreciated.

The people working in the “local interest” section of O’Mahony’s Book Shop should be able to assist you.

See O'Mahony's contact link
CologneMike
Old Master

Re: Old entertainment sites in Limerick City

Postby Junior » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:30 pm

gambra wrote:Does anyone have a list of old sites that contained cinemas, ballrooms, music venues and any other entertainment sites in the city. I have a feeling there's a book or two on the subject around and any titles of them would be appreciated.

A woman working as a researcher for the Limerick Civic Trust did some pretty detailed work on all of the old cinemas/theatres of Limerick, a lot of the information came from microfilm of local papers and business directories in the refererce section of the city library. I think her project will be published in volume III of 'Made in Limerick' which should be out soon enough.
Junior

Return to Ireland