derelict club houses / halls

derelict club houses / halls

Postby clublands » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi all
I was hoping I could pick your architectural brains for a project I'm researching.
I making a film and am scouting for locations so need to find derelict clubhouses / community halls / dance halls or places where people used to gather, the film being a sort of a lament to the decline of particular forms of social interaction.
Would you have any suggestions of interesting buildings, preferably around the Northwest, I could use as locations? I think I have a dance hall which I've yet to go see in Mantua Co. Roscommon but I'm open to suggestions.
This quote by Jin Jianbo was kind of a starting point:
“Within the long process of history, People and Things shuttle through, and as time passes they gradually disappear and are lost, leaving only buildings and spaces as witnesses to history”

Any help would be much appreciated!
clublands

Re: derelict club houses / halls

Postby cajual » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Recently came across news of a gig being put on in one of the original 'Ballroom of Romance' halls in North Leitrim:

Music:
Skazz ( Ska music, Co. Clare)
Fuzzrock soundsystem (thats me) and Mc littletree (Leitrim/Dublin, Dub/Reggae)
This Side up (Hip Hop, Sligo Town)
Dem Fools (Waterford, Folk)

8pm - 3am
Full Bar
Food provided
CAMPING PROVIDED!!!!!!!!!!!
There are B&B 's in the Glenfarne, Manorhamiliton and Blacklion area and the KiltyClogher youth hostel is closeby.
€10 charge and all profits go to a local charity.

The Ballroom of Romance is situated at Glenfarne, in North Leitrim.
cajual

Postby Nugget » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

This guy has been running a site about Irish showbands for a number of years and I'm sure I saw lists of lots of dancehalls on his website before.

http://www.irish-showbands.com

Sounds like a great project, it also sounds like some Dennis Mc Nulty would be interested in: http://www.dennismcnulty.com

good luck
Nugget

Postby henno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 pm

portarlington cinema... now a storage area for tyres.... :( :( :(
henno

Postby clublands » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks for the responses!
Yeah, I'd found that show band website alright and there's loads in it, including an art deco dance hall in the middle of Belfast Zoo which looks amazing. I seem to have plenty of options for dancehalls but am having problems tracking down a community hall or clubhouse or building in the middle of a town where people USED to meet and that is now redundant. The origins of clubhouses in the UK were coffee clubhouses from the early 1700's but can't seem to find an equivalent here.... apart from the pub that is!
clublands

Return to Ireland