CIE's €100 million Tara Street Station construction

Re: CIE's €100 million Tara Street Station construction

Postby missarchi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

It's a very detailed application but there are still some bits.
DCC normally request landscaping drawings with paving/crossing details.
We had 50 bike spaces for a few apartments go figure...
It would be good it the road was level.
+26.03 that hurts slevin

Additional Information - Softworks Specification
Additional Information - Street Furniture Schedule
Additional Information - Streetscape Masterplan
Additional Information - Landscape Images
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Frankie Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Really interesting project, really hope this gets the go ahead as it would be an important step in elevating this station into a transport hub
Frankie Boy

Postby marmajam » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Cannot understand DCC appealing it on grounds that it is a big slab overlooking the Customs house.

And what in the name of Allah is Liberty Hall, Hawkins Hse and that other lego set on top of the Ulster bank. Compared to that unholy trio this is quite elegant.
marmajam

Postby Keen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm

marmajam wrote:Cannot understand DCC appealing it on grounds that it is a big slab overlooking the Customs house.

And what in the name of Allah is Liberty Hall, Hawkins Hse and that other lego set on top of the Ulster bank. Compared to that unholy trio this is quite elegant.

lol i agree how can a strcuture with a glazed exterior be a slab? i think they meant 'bulky' :rolleyes:
Keen

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Well on the right of those pictures you can see a rectilinear portion of the building which could be described as a slab. I still think it looks pretty good though.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby hutton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:56 am

marmajam wrote:My understnading is that IE will pay nothing for this building.
The developer who builds it will rebuild the 2nd busiest station in the country for free.

the toilets issue might not be unrelated to the large congregation of drug addicts and dealers who infest this area.

all the same I think it's wonderful that you know so much that you can sort everything out just by having a quick think without any need to check annoying facts.

Okay; show me your developer who's:

A) Got the €100m to put down on the table now and build this

B) Is going to build this while vast chunks of office space in the city are lying idle

One or or two other "annoying facts" to add for your conundrum -

1) You can't suggest a developer with a four letter name that begins with "N", ends with "A" and has "AM" in the middle

2) Also barred regrettably are any out-of-control semi-state bodies whose core businesses are in other areas.

As gunter might say, best of luck with that :)
hutton

Postby darkman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:39 am

hutton wrote:Okay; show me your developer who's:

A) Got the €100m to put down on the table now and build this

B) Is going to build this while vast chunks of office space in the city are lying idle

:)

Eh Treasury holdings? Currently developing Montevetro which is bigger then this, about to unveil Aqua Vetro and developing a Hadid designed office block on the Northside.:rolleyes:
darkman

Postby hutton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 pm

marmajam wrote:I refer my learned friend to the reply I gave before.

(all the same I think it's wonderful that you know so much that you can sort everything out just by having a quick think without any need to check annoying facts)

:D

darkman, quote referred to wrote:Eh Treasury holdings? Currently developing Montevetro which is bigger then this, about to unveil Aqua Vetro and developing a Hadid designed office block on the Northside.:rolleyes:

Really mamajam? Just a quick glance at the Hadid vs Foster thread throws up this, including I note a-not-so-optimistic comment by your "learned friend"...

Yixian wrote:Are any of these projects actually going ahead?

darkman wrote:They said a planning application for North Wall Quay would be lodged before the end of the year. Fingers crossed but im not overly hopeful.

Rory W wrote:About as much chance as satan's snowball collection

marmajam, your debate have relied on silly speculative conjecture rather than providing facts. To suggest such as "fact" is irritating, but I'm still happy to watch you fumble with some more rope :)
hutton

Postby dave123 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 am

It's lovely

But makes the pimple that is the Loop line bridge now look like a Cyst.

Those pillars are disgusting and the advertisements agrrrrrrrragh its so ugh.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:38 am

marmajam wrote:Cannot understand DCC appealing it on grounds that it is a big slab overlooking the Customs house.

I agree the Tara street development actually brings balance to the Tara street side. All the building's on that side are over 6 stories. The buildings behind Custom house opposite liberty hall is 10 storys. The Tara street building doesn't look tall at all.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:39 am

This is good news
dave123

Postby gunter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:22 am

dave123 wrote:It's lovely

The simple curved form (the ''grain of rise'' I believe they're calling it !) facing the Custom House, is perhaps borderline elegant, if of questionable massing and orientation at this location, but the jumble of competing, scaleless, forms on the Tara Street side would make the dismal streetscape here even more forelorn, imo.

If ABP had any inclinations to grant this, they should just give them permission for the curved block, and condition out the rest.

If this means IE end up with a ten storey building and no stairs, . . . . well they'll learn the next time won't they ;)
gunter
Old Master

Postby marmajam » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:57 pm

hutton wrote:CIE are planning on spending €100m on this office spec development scheme - while acres of office space is empty, and An Bord Snip proposes saving €55m by closing 240km of railways around the country? Fuckwits :mad:

Somebody please abolish Irish Rail and CIE - this is clearly a public sector body that has got out of control, and is more interested in wasteful distractions as opposed to its core business. Get rid of then.

Save Irish railways + public transport: Abolish CIE now.

Who's CIE?

IE will not spend a penny on this building but will get a very necessary upgrade of the 2nd busiest station in the country done for free.

That's their job. Well done by them.

You're paranoid.
marmajam

Postby hutton » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:21 pm

marmajam wrote:Who's CIE?

IE will not spend a penny on this building but will get a very necessary upgrade of the 2nd busiest station in the country done for free.

That's their job. Well done by them.

You're paranoid.

par⋅a⋅noi⋅a
  /ˌpærəˈnɔɪə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-noi-uh]

–noun
1. Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

Hmmm - that's an interesting interpretation of paranoia you are projecting on to my development critique of (C)IE's proposed scheme. Last time I checked, I was not aware of CIE/IE "out to get me" :)

Meanwhile back in the real world I am interested in the notion this is "a very necessary upgrade of the 2nd busiest station in the country"; given that no toilets are provided, I find the term "upgrade" novel. Somebody's taking the piss - or maybe not if CIE get their way.

I also dispute your interpretation that this will be "done for free"; show me the money as it were, as to who is backing them - and please don't provide any more conjecture masquerading as "fact".

What is happening here is the public transport company CIE, is attempting to develop what is primarily a speculative office scheme through their subsidiary company, Irish Rail, claiming it to be an "upgrade" of a railway station. I don't consider a new railway station without toilets to be an upgrade. What I also note is that a cost of €100m has been put on developing the scheme, without declaring who is going to foot the bill - other than suggesting it'll be done by some mythical developer. Maybe I am being unreasonable, but at a time of unprecedented vacancies of existing office and corporate space, this to my mind is based on fantasy of a bygone age.

Worse than that, CIE are advancing a €100m scheme at a time when An Bord Snip is recommending saving €55m by closing 240km of railway around the country.

marmajam wrote:That's their job. Well done by them.

Developing spec office blocks amidst unprecedented vacancy - rather than defending what should be their core business interests of keeping railways open and providing public transport? Well if you say so, but I would have to differ :)

marmajam, you are so gung-ho about this project - to a point of unnecessarily insulting critics - are there any interests that you would like to declare, just for sake of clarity?
hutton

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:16 pm

I agree with you marmajam. Some people on this site bitch and moan about EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPMENT undertaken in Dublin and elsewhere. It's soooooooooooo boring. It's pretty obvious that this building will improve the centre of Dublin generally and clean up a pretty grotty block opposite the Customs House. You'd think people would be happy about it.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby Yixian » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:01 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:I agree with you marmajam. Some people on this site bitch and moan about EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPMENT undertaken in Dublin and elsewhere. It's soooooooooooo boring. It's pretty obvious that this building will improve the centre of Dublin generally and clean up a pretty grotty block opposite the Customs House. You'd think people would be happy about it.

Signed.
Yixian

Postby Global Citizen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm with Hutton on this one.
At a time when railways are under threat from Bord Snip, I would have thought CIE would be doing their best to promote rail travel.
I thought that was their function.
Silly me.
Global Citizen

Postby darkman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:44 pm

It is the moaning, unfortunately, that has the city the way it is. The Irish Times set are out against Metro North now because of their beloved Stephens Green. For decades people have moaned and "Georgian" this and that...etc etc. We are not the city we should be because of the small minded mentality. It is very well illustrated on this site. It's no supprise to me. How many projects have been shot down that would have been good for this city? The same people go on and bitch and moan about Dublin of course:rolleyes:
darkman

Postby ihateawake » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:05 am

IÉ are doing their job in a capitalist environment. Improving the city vista while allowing this improvement to enhance the public transport network. I dont see the problem.

darkman, I agree nimbyism is beyond reason here, but for all their complaining they have failed to stop the destruction of many parts of historic Dublin, yet focus their efforts on trying to disrupt the sustainable development of new Dublin even if the impact is minor and even aligns with their goals in the long term. These people are entirely counter-productive.
ihateawake

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 am

I don't see the problem with IE making the most of their property - if the resultant profits can be ploughed back into improving the passenger experience.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Global Citizen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:I don't see the problem with IE making the most of their property - if the resultant profits can be ploughed back into improving the passenger experience.

Thats a big if.
Global Citizen

Postby markpb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

dave123 wrote:Those pillars are disgusting and the advertisements agrrrrrrrragh its so ugh.

Those adverts were removed two years ago. Welcome to the future :-)
markpb

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:50 pm

markpb wrote:Those adverts were removed two years ago. Welcome to the future :-)

It's really a very minor improvement. The whole thing is a black scar of psychological depression on the face of the city. It's a hammerblow of ugliness on the city centre. Isn't it possible they could remove the black metal at the sides and make it a little more aerodynamic, elegant and modern looking ... this would include getting rid of those orange max headroom signs which make it look like a throwback to the 60s.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby markpb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 am

rumpelstiltskin wrote:this would include getting rid of those orange max headroom signs which make it look like a throwback to the 60s.

And have trucks crashing into it and suspending all train services in the city?
markpb

Postby green_jesus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 am

I think the loop line bridge would be a lot better if it was painted white.
green_jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland