Pay Cuts???

Pay Cuts???

Postby kieran0426 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:24 pm

What sort of pay cuts is everyone having to deal with in these current times of resession!!

Our firm took a 10% cut last Novemeber

The they reduced the staff from 20 down to 5 in January

Now they table another 30% cut for the remaining staff this week.

Thats 37% acculative plus the goverments 2% income levy so 39% inthe past 9 months

Just wondering is anyone else been faced with these massive cuts.
kieran0426

Re: Pay Cuts???

Postby henno » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:48 pm

kieran0426 wrote:What sort of pay cuts is everyone having to deal with in these current times of resession!!

Our firm took a 10% cut last Novemeber

The they reduced the staff from 20 down to 5 in January

Now they table another 30% cut for the remaining staff this week.

Thats 37% acculative plus the goverments 2% income levy so 39% inthe past 9 months

Just wondering is anyone else been faced with these massive cuts.

are they reducing your working hours in tandem?
henno

Postby kieran0426 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:36 pm

nope still working a 37.5 week !!!
kieran0426

Postby henno » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:09 pm

if they consider wage reduction as their main outlet for spending cuts, it means they cannot increase their work load to compensate. Therefore, they are forecasting a very minimal workload for the immediate future.
A 30% rash cut now on top of a 10% cut in nov is nowhere near in line with acceptable restructuring.

You should sit down with them and discuss a more dynamic solution which would include probably a larger cut per hour ratio but go on 3 day weeks, which allows you to seek social benefits.... otherwise less pay = less work...

This is what we have done and we are still surviving since going to a 3 day week last feb.
Wages bills are pretty much half of what the were on a 5 day week last year....
henno

Postby janmc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Archipocalypse has a survey on this. 78% of architects have had a paycut in the last 15 months.
janmc

Postby kieran0426 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 pm

henno wrote:if they consider wage reduction as their main outlet for spending cuts, it means they cannot increase their work load to compensate. Therefore, they are forecasting a very minimal workload for the immediate future.
A 30% rash cut now on top of a 10% cut in nov is nowhere near in line with acceptable restructuring.

You should sit down with them and discuss a more dynamic solution which would include probably a larger cut per hour ratio but go on 3 day weeks, which allows you to seek social benefits.... otherwise less pay = less work...

This is what we have done and we are still surviving since going to a 3 day week last feb.
Wages bills are pretty much half of what the were on a 5 day week last year....

That seems like a good idea that way both sides get something out of the deal.

Althought in my case i think the the Managment are just taking advantage of the the staff and the hopeless position we 're in......As we're not in a postion to negotiate with them and they KNOW IT
kieran0426

Postby parka » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

kieran0426 wrote:Althought in my case i think the the Managment are just taking advantage of the the staff and the hopeless position we 're in......As we're not in a postion to negotiate with them and they KNOW IT

I have heard a lot of similar stories. People getting paid for three days but expected to work five full days. In some cases the Work load hasn't changed just the attitude.
parka

Postby Rourke » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

only 37% pay cut....hmm cmon u can take a bit more pain than that?

ask Mrs 2nd in command, dont you know our country needs the money for a 4.5% pay rise for all those very important electricians. After all its the people that put the wires in buildings who are really indispensable. Those Architects just draw the pictures, sure my 3 yr old could do that.

We have ways and means of making your vocation ...eh hem i mean profession unviable.. eh hem i mean more competitive - we dont protect your function, you are happy with a title or 2, and a few nice paths for your bicycle ride home at 11pm after all that unpaid overtime

Architects pay cut 40%
Electricians pay rise +4%

Architects negotiating power 11 times lower
Rourke

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm

if a socket fails on an abandoned building site and no-one is around to test it is an electrician still a c**t?
wearnicehats

Postby missarchi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:50 pm

The RIAI are proud there is no minimum wage/conditions...
The only way the system will become transparent if time sheets go to the RIAI and you are paid via the RIAI and client fees are paid to the RIAI. Obama is hiding everything is grey;)

I've got loads of stories... But electricians are smarter than architects for being organised.
On a house had to dig a tunnel under it because electrician forget the cable for lights.
He also put 7 large holes into the plasterboard looking for it!
missarchi
Old Master

Postby parka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:52 am

[quote="missarchi"]But electricians are smarter than architects for being organised.![/QUOTE

I would have to agree with this comment.
parka

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:35 pm

They're not organised - they're in a Union - ever watch "One Man and his Dog"?

If they're so bloody organised how come the last one I rang arrived three days late and didn't have a screwdriver?
wearnicehats

Postby tommyt » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Rourke wrote:only 37% pay cut....hmm cmon u can take a bit more pain than that?

ask Mrs 2nd in command, dont you know our country needs the money for a 4.5% pay rise for all those very important electricians. After all its the people that put the wires in buildings who are really indispensable. Those Architects just draw the pictures, sure my 3 yr old could do that.

We have ways and means of making your vocation ...eh hem i mean profession unviable.. eh hem i mean more competitive - we dont protect your function, you are happy with a title or 2, and a few nice paths for your bicycle ride home at 11pm after all that unpaid overtime

Architects pay cut 40%
Electricians pay rise +4%

Why be bitter? Plenty of architects must be eligible for FAS courses at this stage if they want to upskill to a more steady profession:confused:
tommyt

Postby parka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:26 pm

wearnicehats wrote:They're not organised - they're in a Union - ever watch "One Man and his Dog"?

If they're so bloody organised how come the last one I rang arrived three days late and didn't have a screwdriver?

Love that program. You seem to be very unlucky with tradesmen.
parka

Return to Ireland