The Cornmarket Centre

The Cornmarket Centre

Postby round1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 am

I like the courtyard side entrance on Paul Street to the Cornmarket Centre. Does any one have information on what this space was previously. Up until now you could only get glimpses of it through the closed gates. The tree there is amazingly high. I'ts a lovely new quiet space in the city.
round1

Re: The Cornmarket Centre

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:13 am

Originally St. Paul's Church (and Churchyard), the building has been dis-used for as long as I remember. The Church itself has been refurbished inside although not fitted out and no lease has been signed (in common with much of the space in the development).
City Council is said not to approve of restaurant use for the church, which at first glance may sound ideal. Retail use though, would present problems with fixtures and fittings. The crypt underneath the church still contains bodies and has not been touched. The idea of shopping for clothes over dead people may put some people off!!

With regard to the development as a whole, the lack of any movement of the smaller units is disappointing. Although, the presence of TKMaxx must ease the burden somewhat. I wonder whether OCP at Faulkner's Lane and Half Moon Street have been hovering up any potential retailers.
A spokesperson for Saville and OCP were quoted in yesterday's Examiner as saying they have all but one of the new units practically signed up. They expect 65% open by Christmas and 100% by St. Patrick's Day. Personally, I think this is all bluster. They haven't announced anything since H&M and Topshop. They are, however, very big fish to catch.
Radioactiveman

Postby rofbp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:25 pm

its unfortunate for the developers that they only have one tenant so far. it can't help matters that the city council are so slow in getting around to refurbishing the street on cornmarket street/coal quay.

i assume some of the developer's levy should have been earmarked for this refurbishment, but it is now lost in the black hole of local government finances

the space in the courtyard is nice, particularly to sit in at lunchtime. the tree was especially striking at christmas, when it was lit up.

on a separate issue, the back entrance to waterstones, which is opposite the courtyard is very poorly maintained, and the front entrance isnt much better. They really should take more care of their property, both for themselves, and other shops nearby
rofbp

Postby Yossarian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:13 am

mate it beggars belief to me that after ten ears of blushing excess our country hasn't manages to get it's city centres in order. you look at Cork; 1995; what needs obviously to be done? Cornmarket, Parnell Place, Grand Parade, Patrick's, Oliver's, South Mall. those 6, you're set, they're the main big wide thoroughfares that people will realistically linger on and rate the city on. what did we do? 3 of six, where 6 of 6 could have been done in a sixth of the time when we were plush. I mean i don't even know what to say, i've not even mentioned Limerick or Galway, and if you come at it with some 'Dublin is our greatest city' shit, there's no-one visits Dublin 'cept stag nights and descendants. to invest in your country you invest in all of your country, not the bits you live in. Green country, we're becoming a land of suburbs of Dublin, and Dublin is the city of excess-without-the-glamour go-there-to-wreck-the-place of Europe. whatever, the rant came from the fact that cornmarket st isn't developed yet. mate i just feel like the country is run out of dublin, for dublin, and anyone who cribs is cause for ridicule.
Yossarian

Postby Angry Rebel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 am

Yossarian wrote:mate it beggars belief to me that after ten ears of blushing excess our country hasn't manages to get it's city centres in order. you look at Cork; 1995; what needs obviously to be done? Cornmarket, Parnell Place, Grand Parade, Patrick's, Oliver's, South Mall. those 6, you're set, they're the main big wide thoroughfares that people will realistically linger on and rate the city on. what did we do? 3 of six, where 6 of 6 could have been done in a sixth of the time when we were plush. I mean i don't even know what to say, i've not even mentioned Limerick or Galway, and if you come at it with some 'Dublin is our greatest city' shit, there's no-one visits Dublin 'cept stag nights and descendants. to invest in your country you invest in all of your country, not the bits you live in. Green country, we're becoming a land of suburbs of Dublin, and Dublin is the city of excess-without-the-glamour go-there-to-wreck-the-place of Europe. whatever, the rant came from the fact that cornmarket st isn't developed yet. mate i just feel like the country is run out of dublin, for dublin, and anyone who cribs is cause for ridicule.

Here here.
Angry Rebel

Return to Ireland