Limerick City Boundary Extension

Limerick City Boundary Extension

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:36 pm

The Limerick Leader are reporting that a decision on the long awaited boundary extension could be made later this year.

Im not sure how reliable this information is, considering it came from Willie O'Dea:o but hopefully some positive news is on the way.

Limerick city set to get new boundary extension

By Mike Dwane

LIMERICK could have its long-awaited boundary extension by Christmas.
This follows confirmation that Environment Minister John Gormley is set to make a decision on the matter following new approaches from Mayor Kevin Kiely and Defence Minister Willie O'Dea.

If Minister Gormley sets the wheels in motion by appointing an independent committee to adjudicate on the controversial proposals, the boundary could be changed by the end of the year, according to Minister O'Dea.

The Defence Minister confirmed to the Limerick Chronicle that he had spoken to his Cabinet colleague on the matter on "a number of occasions of late" and was hopeful that the matter of a boundary committee would be resolved "relatively shortly".

If a committee was set up, it would take no more than "a couple of months" to make a decision. Minister Gormley grew up in Limerick, went to school here, and is very aware of all the issues involved.

Tuborg

Re: Limerick City Boundary Extension

Postby D-A-V-E » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm

good to hear some more news on this issue, i was going to make a thread specifically for the boundary but its already done. it will be funny if the boundary actually goes ahead, next years census will see over 100% growth for limerick city!
D-A-V-E

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 pm

It'll be somewhat ironic if the city council end up with the Parkway Valley doomsday site on their hands and the extension yet again ignores Raheen and doesn't even move to include the Crescent Shopping Centre.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby dave123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 pm

The city council and country council need to be working together. I think they are now forced to realise they are both going to suffer from this division centripetal nonsense.

I have always said the Limerick county council should focus on its county town. NCW.

Now they will soon realise they have no choice. But if they had listened a few years ago:rolleyes: They didn't listen they decided to make as much of a mess they could around Limerick city so they could drain the city out. For the money!

Corruption at its best.
dave123

Postby CologneMike » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:33 pm

City Boundary Extension ~ Limerick City Council

Here link to proposals from October 2004 and amended proposal October 2005.

Here a list of areas concerned (electoral divisions / townlands). The OSI map used by the city coucuncil below was already a bit dated.

The Limerick North Rural ED has since been included into city in order to accommodate the start of the regeneration of the northside.
Attachments
ED_Townlands.jpg
ED_Townlands.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
MapOfProposal.jpg
MapOfProposal.jpg (137.49 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby D-A-V-E » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

looking at the proposed map im guessing its going to be the exact same except not in county clare?
D-A-V-E

Postby Tuborg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18 pm

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:It'll be somewhat ironic if the city council end up with the Parkway Valley doomsday site on their hands and the extension yet again ignores Raheen and doesn't even move to include the Crescent Shopping Centre.

It dosen't ignore Raheen & Dooradoyle, the proposed extension covers all the suburban areas currently lying in County Limerick. However both the suburban and rural areas of South East Clare have been dropped from the application. This is probably a wise call, as removing this highly contentious aspect surely gives the extension a much greater chance of going ahead. It's just a pity that the University's northern campus will remain in County Clare!:p

I believe the City Manager is to meet with Minister Gormley this week to discuss the appointment of a boundary committee, which hopefully will be finalised reasonably swiftly.
Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:58 am

The bogland and University of Limerick lands should be in The boundary

I think Clare county council should allow this
dave123

Postby Griff » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

dave123 wrote:The bogland and University of Limerick lands should be in The boundary

I think Clare county council should allow this

On the contrary I think having a section of UL within Co. Clare is a good thing and the expansion of the college onto the other side of the river was possibly a planned act to create a university of the mid-west argument when looking for future funding. I bet there a loads of American billionaires with ancestors from Co. Clare
Griff

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Tuborg wrote:However both the suburban and rural areas of South East Clare have been dropped from the application.

Tuborg, this is news to me. Has the Department of Environment already rejected this or has the City Council backed down? :confused:

This is probably a wise call, as removing this highly contentious aspect surely gives the extension a much greater chance of going ahead.

I’m surprised that there seems to be a general shying away from confronting the problems that has bedevilled the city been run by three local authorities.

The contentious issues facing the city should be put on the table and especially here on the Clare side, the residents living in Meelick, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Shannon Banks and Westbury should discuss their rural / suburban relationship with the city.

Its close proximity to the city centre is best illustrated by the fact that Shannon Banks is only a 2.5 km walk into the town! The reality that over the last 40 years the Clare County Council has rezoned rural farm land here to meet the housing (private only) demands of a growing city. Boundary extension or not, the city will continue to spill over and along both banks of the Shannon.

One urban administrative authority, one potential strong city.

Attachments still trouble shooting: Upload of image file failed.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm

So you want one college in two counties.

ROFL.

I guess the councilors are not only the problem, some of the locals are whacked up too.
It would be delirious and nuts to rin a college in two different councils

This means we still have this division issues. Limerick city needs to have its boundary extended into Clare. I don't see what the fuss is with people ffs. Let Limerick run the Clare Suburbs that technically the Limerick urban area..
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 pm

CologneMike wrote:Tuborg, this is news to me. Has the Department of Environment already rejected this or has the City Council backed down? :confused:

It hasn't been officially announced yet but from what I've heard, Willie O'Dea advised the City Council that he would only lobby the Environment Minister on the condition that the lands in Clare were dropped from the proposal! It seems ridiculous that a man of such little political talent could have this much influence but maybe he had gotten some feedback on the issue from John Gormley?

I’m surprised that there seems to be a general shying away from confronting the problems that has bedevilled the city been run by three local authorities.

The contentious issues facing the city should be put on the table and especially here on the Clare side, the residents living in Meelick, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Shannon Banks and Westbury should discuss their rural / suburban relationship with the city.

Its close proximity to the city centre is best illustrated by the fact that Shannon Banks is only a 2.5 km walk into the town! The reality that over the last 40 years the Clare County Council has rezoned rural farm land here to meet the housing (private only) demands of a growing city. Boundary extension or not, the city will continue to spill over and along both banks of the Shannon.

One urban administrative authority, one potential strong city.

You shouldn't be too surprised by this Mike. Afterall gombeenism and county jersey politics rule the roost here unfortunately!

Obviously if one was to look at this objectively, its a no-brainer that these areas should be subsumed into the city. They only developed in the first place due to their proximity to the city and although they wont admit it, local residents rely almost completely on the services available in Limerick City.

Its well known that over the years Clare County Council almost totally neglected this portion of their administrative area, no doubt due to its isolation from the rest of the county. They provided no facilities whatsoever for the relatively large population in Shannon Banks, Westbury etc. Predictably it was only after the proposed boundary extension was mooted that Clare County Council finally opened an area office in Westbury.

I completely agree with you that in order for the city to reach its potential, a full boundary extension is needed. However that dosent bother the natives in SE Clare who's biggest concern it seems is the potential impact on local GAA clubs!:rolleyes:
Tuborg

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:48 am

Couldn't they just take some more land from County Limerick and give it to County Clare in exchange? :)
rumpelstiltskin

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 am

Tuborg wrote:It hasn't been officially announced yet but from what I've heard, Willie O'Dea advised the City Council that he would only lobby the Environment Minister on the condition that the lands in Clare were dropped from the proposal! It seems ridiculous that a man of such little political talent could have this much influence but maybe he had gotten some feedback on the issue from John Gormley?

Maybe it was an unusual bit of pragmatism on his part in terms of actually having a chance of something going ahead?

I certainly would be of the opinion that one can worry about Clare later and the priority is Raheen/Castletroy.

The sooner Limerick Co. Co. are paying rates for their audacious headquarters just outside the current city boundary, the better.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby Andy O » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 am

New boundary looks good. Cork city could use an extension too.
Andy O

Postby Griff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Maybe as part of the boundary extension Athlunkard bridge could be removed !... that would help reduce the amount of future development in Co. Clare due to Limerick city and also ensure the rights of the kids on the Clare side of the bridge to wear the Clare GAA jersey !..
Griff

Postby dave123 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Grifff I get the feeling you are whacko.
dave123

Postby CologneMike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 pm

The Clare GAA jersey is a good point in question.

Firstly we are talking about a Limerick City Boundary extension into County Limerick and County Clare. Not a County Limerick move into County Clare!

The dilemma facing what were once idyllic country villages (e.g. Parteen, Annacotty or Mungret) in that they have now become engulfed by the growth of the city.

Their local GAA clubs seem to have an important social function in that it preserves their “local identity” in the face of enormous changes around them.

In fairness to the Parteen GAA club, they offer the “city kids” of Westbury / Shannon Banks a great sporting facility and so what if they only hurl in the Clare leagues. In my opinion here lies the way forward, one city with a Clare side and a Limerick side.

I personally have numerous relatives living on the Clare side of the city and have always used the following postal address to write to them.

Example:
Shannon Banks
Limerick City
Co. Clare

Griff, you may be joking by talking about removing Athlunkard bridge. However contentious issues need to be bridged by constructive discussion.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby jimg » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:29 am

CologneMike wrote:The Clare GAA jersey is a good point in question.

Indeed it's a classic example of externality or the "free rider" problem in economics. Both Clare and Limerick counties get lots of development levies and rates for allowing inappropriate development outside the city boundary but shoulder very little of the burden/cost of the poor planning. The city indirectly picks up much of the tab.
jimg

Postby Griff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 am

jimg wrote:Indeed it's a classic example of externality or the "free rider" problem in economics. Both Clare and Limerick counties get lots of development levies and rates for allowing inappropriate development outside the city boundary but shoulder very little of the burden/cost of the poor planning. The city indirectly picks up much of the tab.

This is the point really - of course I dont want Athlunkard bridge removed , but you all remember the screams of horror from Clare politicians... well one in particular when the idea of extending the city into Co. Clare was originally proposed. I think that the new extension format - Limerick county only, is a more pragmatic approach that might actually be achieved this time - its nearly 60 years since the last boundary extension.
Griff

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:04 am

All of this is a bit of a moot point if govt. go with the Bord Snip Nua (urgh) recommendation to merge all the regional city councils with the county councils.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby dave123 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I think the urban area of Limerick should be extended into Clare.

It HAS nothing to do with the GAA, or anything cultural. It is purely an economic common sense perspective to the benefit of the region as a whole.

STOP the divide.

It has gone on to long now.
dave123

Postby Griff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:04 pm

dave123 wrote:I think the urban area of Limerick should be extended into Clare.

It HAS nothing to do with the GAA, or anything cultural. It is purely an economic common sense perspective to the benefit of the region as a whole.

STOP the divide.

It has gone on to long now.

Seriously - its not going to happen - no matter how its packaged you will never sell it .. the best that might be achieved is bringing in the estates close to Corbally - and that would be very difficult I think... I wonder what the results of a poll of the residents would reveal..if they were asked if they wanted to be part of the city ?.. or has this already been done ?
Griff

Postby CologneMike » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 pm

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:I certainly would be of the opinion that one can worry about Clare later and the priority is Raheen/Castletroy.

Waiting another 20-30 years for the next application to address the city suburbs issue on the Clare side would represent a missed opportunity to plan the city’s future properly.

It’s on the table now since 2004 and the city council should see it through in 2009!

Take for example the banks of the river Shannon from say the Corbally Falls right up to the Plassey Falls. I think we can all agree that this fine stretch of the river is a natural asset for the people of the city for recreation, walking, jogging, fishing, picnicking, rowing etc, etc.

I can’t see this stretch of the river ever being a top priority at a Clare County Council meeting in Ennis. Simply because they don’t use it.

In my opinion there needs to be a planning moratorium to be put in place for recreational park land / residential use along the river from Corbally to Plassey. This can be only achieved through one authority and not three. Future generations of our city folk will thank us!

Best example is the former Burlington synthetic fibre (chemical) factory at Gillogue (between Westbury and a UL Students Village). This white elephant or the “Sins of our Fathers” for locating it here, should had been located at a more suitable heavy industrial site say the docklands.

Now after 25 years Clare County Council will decide if Zinc Properties should have their 28-acre site zoned for heavy industrial use or not.

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:All of this is a bit of a moot point if govt. go with the Bord Snip Nua (urgh) recommendation to merge all the regional city councils with the county councils.

Only an cost accountant would propose an amalgamation between a city and a rural district. They remain two different entities. If they need to rationalise local government jobs then amalgamate the three county councils of Clare, Limerick and Tipperary-North-Riding into a Shannon Regional Council and throw in the health board for good measure.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby mitchell » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Just to make sure I got this straight, if the government go through with merging all county and city councils will this get rid of the problem (on the Limerick side at least, clare is another story)
mitchell

Next

Return to Ireland