Doors....

Doors....

Postby djasmith » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Ok im in a bit of a debate with the family. We're doing up the grannys house, with a new kitchen etc. part of the deal is that we're having some cheap 1970's doors replaced. One of them is from the hall into the living room - half glazed and half panled. The other is from the living room into the kitchen, and is the same door as the above, but with a panel to the side (originally this was a window ope, so not quite wide enough for 2 doors).

Now everyone except me wants to replace the doors with lovely modern mdf doors with oak veneer to look like the catalogues. I think they will look awful. I have so far got my way in preserving the 1929 doors in the rest of the house, and am about half way through stripping them back (2 finished and look really well painted up!).

I want to try and get reclaimed doors to match the originals (any idea of price??). The problem there is that they won't let in enough light, as the 1970's kitchen extension has blocked it all off, and the glazed doors let some light through. Then I suggested getting some reclaimed doors and having the top 2 panels replaced with glass.

the original doors are basically 4 panels, with square edges and no mouldings or anything. the same as every other council house of the age I suppose, though very few survive.

Im not winning this battle. Has anybody got any suggestions as to what I could do - how expensive are reclaimed doors? would it be awful to go and take out the top 2 panels and glaze them? Or should I just give up and allow the house to become what every other council house has become - a mass of pvc and oak veneer?

any advice would be a great help!

regards,

d.
djasmith

Re: Doors....

Postby GrahamH » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Hey djasmith,

I know the family quandry - you're battling against the tide there! A sea of blank faces confronts you. Nonetheless, it sounds to me that the best option would be to have two doors made up new by a joiner. Not only would these be tailor-made, the glazed panel solution - which is definitely the best one - would also be much neater and better detailed in a non-adapted door. Furthermore, a salvaged door would still have to be adapted to fit by a joiner, so either way you'd still be paying roughly the same in the end. I'd imagine that a new door of this kind, which is of extremely simple composition, would be cheaper than a 1920s door bought at a salvage yard, which tend to be quite expensive in Ireland. It'd also look lovely and clean and sharp and make for a fitting, sympathetic addition to the house. And heck, it might even appeal to the new-is-best orthodoxy of most 50-something sibling brigades.

Best of luck! :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Return to Ireland