Irish Cottages

Irish Cottages

Postby Siofra » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:15 am

Hi all,

I am setting up a website promoting the renovation and protection of Irish Cottages and I am looking for peoples experiences with their own renovations. I would love to hear from anyone who is currently renovating or has renovated a cottage so their experiences can help future renovators.

I'd also love to hear from people who are currently living in traditional cottages to hear their experiences - good or bad and any issues they have to deal with.

My email is cottageology@gmail.com

Thanks everyone,
Orla
Siofra

Re: Irish Cottages

Postby bitasean » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm

http://www.openofficearchitects.ie/projects/monahincha/mona01.htm

Above is a link to one of our projects involving the refurbishment and extension to a cottage in Tipp.

Sounds like a very interesting website you are setting up - in my experience most clients fall in love with a cottage/shed courtyard arrangement and then end up having to knock some or all of them because they are simply too expensive to repair or the engineers are reluctant to sign off on them. Perhaps your website should have some cautionary notes on it for prospective renovators?
bitasean

Postby Siofra » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Hiya,

Thanks for the link, what a fantastic renovation.

As you've said people take on a cottage renovations with all kinds of romantic visions in their heads but very little practical information and experience. As a result of this, when they get the the challanging structural issues they take advice from the wrong 'experts' and often destroy their dreams and a little piece of culture.

The website will include several case studies of peoples experiences as well as advice from actual experts who are interested in the restoration and preservation of cottages and the landscape. I will be providing information on all the difficulties, pitfalls and costs but I will also be including the success stories and visions.

I hope that if people have all of the information available to them, hire the right people and get the right advice from the start then more will be encouraged to renovate than bulldoze and build common bungalows for the sake of ease!

Would you be interested in being interviewed about your experience with renovating this cottage for the website? I am very interested to hear architects experiences and visions as there is going to be a section dedicated to them. My email address is cottageology@gmail.com, if you'd like to email me.

Orla
Siofra

Postby mikey36 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm

hi
how is the new website set-up going
i'm looking to do my own cottage project and would like to see examples of other peoples'
work.
Is it up and running yet and do you have an address for it.
mikey36

Postby damproof » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Kildare County Council have put together a nice book called "Reusing Farm Buildings: A Kildare Perspective" its only available in hard copy but its got good examples and schemes. Definitely worth a look if you have anything to do with these buildings
damproof

Postby mikey36 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 pm

I looked on the Kildare Co. Council site and could not find where I could get that book
Can it be ordered somewhere or is it available in stores
mikey36

Postby damproof » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:27 pm

The info is available at the following link. You may need to contact the Heritage Officer in Kildare Co Co directly to get the book sent to you

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Heritage/BuiltHeritage/KildareProjects/

or just google "reusing farm buildings" and it will come up

Here is some of the speel:

“This publication highlights some of the threats to the survival of these farm complexes and, through a series of case studies, provides suggestions as to sensitive modification and alterations to farm buildings as well as design considerations that can encompass and respect the historic fabric whilst creating contemporary living accommodation.

Whilst it is targeted at those responsible for the care and continued use of farm buildings – farmers, developers and architects – this publication will provide food for thought for anyone with an interest in rural buildings and the challenges they present.” Written by Laura Bowen and Nicki Matthews in partnership with Kildare County Council and the Heritage Council.

They also have a booklet on the thatched houses of county kildare but i've not seen that
damproof

Postby mikey36 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:01 pm

thanks for the help damproof
mikey36

Postby Siofra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 am

Hi Mikey,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I didn't see an update for the question before now :). I have recently put the website live as a blog. The web address is http://www.cottageology.com. Hopefully this is something people will be interested in and will submit their stories and experiences. I will be adding a new article every week and I'd love to hear everyones questions, comments and opinions!

Cheers,
Orla
http://www.cottageology.com
Siofra

Postby Dec56 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:32 am

Nice site! :cool:

Here's another new(ish) site on Irish cottages:

http://www.irishthatchowners.com/index.html

Concentrates on the thatched variety only though! ;)
Dec56

Return to Ireland