Architecture (in words)

Re: Architecture (in words)

Postby gunter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am

The only visual is this tasteful 1980s version of a 1930s airport planned for the docklands in a student thesis by Reenie Elliott. It was included in the Dublin City Quays Project published in 1986 by the UCD School of Recent Architecture.

There were a few other distinctly Modern Movement projects in that little gem of a publication, but most of the content was - violently - Post-Modern.

Mee has the good grace not to visit that particular Post-Modern ghost-of-the-recent-past-that-we-could-have-had in his hugely entertaining trip, but then I guess there is a limit to how far mushrooms will get you.

. . . . I'm sure I have a copy of that UCD Quays Project here somewhere
gunter
Old Master

Postby gunter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm

We never get any feedback from those architectural discussions/free lunches hosted by the DARC people, does nobody go?

Theme today was politics and architecture with Ciaran Cuffe, formerly of both parishes, in the chair.

Ruairi Quinn is the other duel citizen that comes to mind, here [in an I.T. article of July 1975] he waxes lyrical on the architectural breakthrough that was 10-11 South Leinster Street, recently demolished and replaced by the type of ''fully-glazed'' block Quinn was telling us had gone out of style.

gunter
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

I think that gem deserves a wider audience...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland