Limerick Transport

Re: Limerick Transport

Postby teak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Railway/metro would be generally better used for bringing the country commuters in rather
than for hauling city-based people around town, exceptions being the Uni and Shannon
AP/Ind Estate runs.

Cutting the Tralee line at NCW and earmarking the same line as a bypass route for Adare
were cardinal errors.
Never mind the fact that a good many parts of that line needed upgrading, having a
continuous run from Limerick to Tralee and thence Fenit would always hold internal
traffic and tourist potential.

On your map there are large blocks of the city within which people would have a long old
walk to the nearest rail/metro stop.
Small local bus + rail/metro is too expensive and too slow.
Around town, I think that bus is the cheapest option.
teak

Postby pigtown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Railway/metro would be generally better used for bringing the country commuters in rather
than for hauling city-based people around town, exceptions being the Uni and Shannon
AP/Ind Estate runs.

Well I had thought that your typical IE commuter trains would run the longer distance lines while a DART style train would run on the more concise suburban route, but only because thats what I'm familar with.
Cutting the Tralee line at NCW and earmarking the same line as a bypass route for Adare
were cardinal errors.

Didn't realise this happened. Was it to run along the line or just cut a huge D/C-way sized hole across it?
Around town, I think that bus is the cheapest option

Ya probably but I like trains so thats why I focused on them.
On your map there are large blocks of the city within which people would have a long old
walk to the nearest rail/metro stop.

I have marked in the stops below, any suggestions for more?
Attachments
South Stops 2040.png
North Stops 2040.png
pigtown

Postby pigtown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:04 am

Finally the powers that be are getting their act together about this joke of a junction.
From Limerick Leader:

By David Hurley
Published on Tuesday 8 November 2011 08:00

WORKS to increase capacity at one of Limerick’s worst bottle-necks are expected to begin early next year

Limerick County Council hopes to appoint a contractor before Christmas to carry out the upgrade works at the N24 / N7 interchange.

At present up to 18,000 vehicles use the interchange every day and lengthy delays are a daily occurrence at peak times.

The project, which is expected to cost several million euro to complete, was formally approved by councillors last month following the conclusion of the Part 8 planning process.

The deadline for receipt of contractors is this Thursday and negotiations with the prospective contractor are likely to begin next week.

The works, which will last for a number of months, will see the construction of a new roundabout at the junction of the N24 and the Old Ballysimon Road.

A new slip-road will be constructed to facilitate direct access to the N24 for traffic exiting from the northbound lane of the N7.

The existing lanes of the N24 will be widened over a 2km stretch of road and there will be four lanes (two in each direction) between the new roundabout and the Garryglass Roundabout.

The existing traffic lights, which were installed at the junction number of years ago will remain in place but they will be reconfigured to facilitate the additional traffic.

Do you think the plan is to get as many people to bypass the junction as possible?
pigtown

Previous

Return to Ireland