Trinity College Dublin

Re: Trinity College Dublin

Postby johnglas » Sat May 09, 2009 1:58 pm

That was a narrow escape, but it all points up the potential to use the Pearse station 'envelope' more creatively once the recession is over; at the moment, it's grossly underused and there is much opportunity to use the space under the glazed arch (and in any vaults underneath) and link the whole thing more closely to the Trinity campus.
johnglas

Postby notjim » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am

TCD buys the old Coyle-Hamilton building by the NGI; I have mixed feelings, I am glad the college is showing good sense in buying around its periphery, I am sorry the Gallery isn't able to do the same. I think the idea is to use it for office space for Arts-Humanities people in the short term and redevelop it when the island site is built out: after the Pearse St development and the Long Room Hub building.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2009/0603/1224247940217.html
notjim

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:36 pm

notjim wrote:TCD buys the old Coyle-Hamilton building by the NGI; I have mixed feelings, I am glad the college is showing good sense in buying around its periphery, I am sorry the Gallery isn't able to do the same. I think the idea is to use it for office space for Arts-Humanities people in the short term and redevelop it when the island site is built out: after the Pearse St development and the Long Room Hub building.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2009/0603/1224247940217.html

It would be nice if this building would be used as the venue for the long-awaited Student Centre.
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:46 pm

I know the redevelopment of Luce Hall has been paused for reevaluation, but isn't it much more likely to go ahead there; why do you think the Coyle-Hamilton building would be better for this?
notjim

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 pm

notjim wrote:I know the redevelopment of Luce Hall has been paused for reevaluation, but isn't it much more likely to go ahead there; why do you think the Coyle-Hamilton building would be better for this?

Luce Hall would be better, but it's been such a long wait for the centre that it would be good to get it anywhere.
Cathal Dunne

Postby fergalr » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:It would be nice if this building would be used as the venue for the long-awaited Student Centre.

Off campus?
fergalr

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:37 pm

fergalr wrote:Off campus?

It's not really, it's just over the road from the rest of the college.
Cathal Dunne

Postby adhoc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:52 am

Once Trinity own it, its part of the campus. Admittedly it is offshore, but being off the island campus (mainland) has its benefits too. You're not overrun with students during term.

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath on that building being refurbished/rebuilt anytime soon. That's luxury office accomodation by current College standards.
adhoc

Postby notjim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 am

adhoc wrote:Once Trinity own it, its part of the campus. Admittedly it is offshore, but being off the island campus (mainland) has its benefits too. You're not overrun with students during term.

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath on that building being refurbished/rebuilt anytime soon. That's luxury office accomodation by current College standards.

Well Cormac is proposing it be used as a student centre, which would certainly leave it over run with students. It won't happen, not least because it is unlikely to contain the sort of spaces a student center requires. And, yes, we need to start thinking of the college as an archipelago, not an island.

I am sure it will be a long time before it is redeveloped; the immediate plan is post-graduate offices for Arts-Humanities students, student counseling services and similar; I am sure it is perfect as is for these uses, I imagine it will only be redeveloped if it is needed for lab space and the island is built out.

It is rumored that the Long Room Hub is about to break ground, can that be true, has it gone through abp?
notjim

Postby gunter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 am

Is there any real point in retaining that rugby pitch on the north side of the walk?

I know it probably had it's uses in it's day, I remember my dad telling me that they used to see visiting teams train there on the Fridays before international matches in Lansdowne, but those days are gone and I suspect that modern training facilities have moved on.

In a sense the pitch stops the Westland Row end of the campus from really integrating properly with the primary core and it could be argued that it also prevents the cricket pitch from becomming the real green space focal point to the whole campus that I imagine it has the potential to be.

It wouldn't be too difficult to accommodate new student union facilities in a complex of new structures and new squares? here, . . . overlooking the cricket pitch?
gunter
Old Master

Postby notjim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:51 am

Oh gunter please, now you are just being silly.
notjim

Postby alonso » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

where would they play rugby on campus? Share the soccer pitch which is also part of the cricket pitch? It'd be destroyed
alonso

Postby gunter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 am

notjim wrote:Oh gunter please, now you are just being silly.

a bit taken aback there notjim, I hadn't taken you for a rugger bugger!

. . . or is this just the grass thing again?
gunter
Old Master

Postby foremanjoe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 pm

As far as I know the rugby pitch is still used by international teams for training before matches. I heard the France team were supposed to train there before the recent 6 nations game but they decided the cricket pitch suited them better. They destroyed it!
Now whoever said the French weren't a sensible bunch? :D
foremanjoe

Postby tommyt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 pm

gunter wrote:Is there any real point in retaining that rugby pitch on the north side of the walk?

I know it probably had it's uses in it's day, I remember my dad telling me that they used to see visiting teams train there on the Fridays before international matches in Lansdowne, but those days are gone and I suspect that modern training facilities have moved on.

In a sense the pitch stops the Westland Row end of the campus from really integrating properly with the primary core and it could be argued that it also prevents the cricket pitch from becomming the real green space focal point to the whole campus that I imagine it has the potential to be.

It wouldn't be too difficult to accommodate new student union facilities in a complex of new structures and new squares? here, . . . overlooking the cricket pitch?

They could do a Belvo and move the 'saccur' down to a purpose built rooftop location when they redevelop the IDA centre down on Pearse/Macken St (a far more suitable location)., leaving the cricket pitch area for the proper 'hoi hoi' sporting codes, including rugby and a championship croquet area. The existing rugby pitch could then be redeveloped for something more faaabulous. That campus badly needs its own BT2 , M&S Simply food and Harvey Nicks.;)
tommyt

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:58 pm

notjim wrote:Well Cormac is proposing it be used as a student centre, which would certainly leave it over run with students. It won't happen, not least because it is unlikely to contain the sort of spaces a student center requires. And, yes, we need to start thinking of the college as an archipelago, not an island.

Well firstly, my name's Cathal, not Cormac and secondly, while I do propose it could be used as a student centre, I also wouldn't mind Luce Hall being used for the same purpose. It's just that the centre has been put on such a long finger that it would be good to have any sort of centre anywhere at this stage. Luce Hall or Coyle Hamilton building, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's built.

The rugby pitch should be maintained and improved from its current state. The place needs rugby facilities and the cricket pitch needs to be kept free of the depredations of rucks and mauls so that it can fulfil its function during the lazy days of May.
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:Well firstly, my name's Cathal, not Cormac.

Oh no! Sorry about that; feel free to call me "notjohn", or even more inaccurately, "jim" a few times,

C
notjim

Postby alonso » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm

tommyt wrote:They could do a Belvo and move the 'saccur' down to a purpose built rooftop location when they redevelop the IDA centre down on Pearse/Macken St (a far more suitable location)., leaving the cricket pitch area for the proper 'hoi hoi' sporting codes, including rugby and a championship croquet area. The existing rugby pitch could then be redeveloped for something more faaabulous. That campus badly needs its own BT2 , M&S Simply food and Harvey Nicks.;)

ever played soccer on College Park? It may well be the best pitch in Ireland... flat as a pancake and cut to perfection. Pity I was so shite that day and never made the team.... booooo!!

Oh yeh, please also define "championship" croquet :)
alonso

Postby Devin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Unlike your syntax and grammar, arf.
Devin
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:16 pm

alonso wrote:ever played soccer on College Park? It may well be the best pitch in Ireland... flat as a pancake and cut to perfection. Pity I was so shite that day and never made the team.... booooo!!

Oh yeh, please also define "championship" croquet :)

Association football? On the hallowed ground of College Park? Sacrilege!
Cathal Dunne

Postby Cathal Dunne » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:16 pm

notjim wrote:Oh no! Sorry about that; feel free to call me "notjohn", or even more inaccurately, "jim" a few times,

C

Apology accepted Jimmy! ;)
Cathal Dunne

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Why don't the college purchase the rectangle of land bounded by the railway, Westland Row, Cumberland St. and Lincoln Place and build more offices, accommodation and new lecturing and tutoring space?
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:32 pm

I don't think it is for sale.
notjim

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 am

notjim wrote:I don't think it is for sale.

But there are For Sale/To Let signs sprouting out of every other building in Town, surely enough of them are there that the college can buy the block?
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:29 am

Well I think they are still using St Andrew's and associated buildings, the RIA is probably intending to stay and the college already own Dunlop-Oriel house; that's a lot of the block, Dan Dooley's must be a possibility in the future, but perversely the college sold a small building on Cumberland St last year.
notjim

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland