DDDA / Docklands Miscellany

Re: DDDA / Docklands Miscellany

Postby aj » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

gunter wrote:So Dublin's ''Parlour'' is an empty container yard! . . . . what does that tell us?

I give up on this city :(
aj

Postby Yixian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 pm

It does look rather depressing - if done right it could a cool grimey/underground sort of feel to it which would sit well with music and entertainment but political rallies? NOT going to happen in anything that looks remotely like that.

Political rallies occur in areas associated with the wealth and management of a country, not in self-consciously "cool" designated areas. If The Parlour was a large neo-georgian square with statues and fountains, yeah, but this?!

Also, a market place is going to look pretty horrid sitting in there. Dublin needs some thing like a much larger version of the English Market in Cork - desperately.
Yixian

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Well, people are always talking about architectural context - nothing more contextual to the Docklands than containers. I think it's a very interesting idea, although I'll reserve judgement until I see it. It could be an aesthetically pleasing commentary on the whole enterprise of turning a grimy industrial area into a pleasant urban environment. But I suppose most people on here would prefer a classical fountain and brass sculptures of Sheridan and Bram Stoker.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 pm

can anyone find the original sketch for the parlour
lostexpectation

Postby gunter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:But I suppose most people on here would prefer a classical fountain and brass sculptures of Sheridan and Bram Stoker.

Or Bram Stoker drinking Sheridan while stood in a brass fountain!

It's odd that your attachment to gritty urbanism didn't extend to the Loopline bridge:

Quote: [INDENT]''this monstrosity . . . its bulky blackness lacks any elegance whatsoever''.[/INDENT]

We'll see what elegance bulky containers add. I just hope nobody hurts themselves on the cutting edge.
gunter
Old Master

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:46 pm

gunter wrote:Or Bram Stoker drinking Sheridan while stood in a brass fountain!

It's odd that your attachment to gritty urbanism didn't extend to the Loopline bridge:

Quote: [INDENT]''this monstrosity . . . its bulky blackness lacks any elegance whatsoever''.[/INDENT]

We'll see what elegance bulky containers add. I just hope nobody hurts themselves on the cutting edge.

Yes we will. I don't pre-judge any future scheme on the basis of the materials used, I judge based upon whether or not it is likely to be aesthetically pleasing and even challenging when it's complete. Give me a reason why we should be acting like the gaggle of menopausal fishwives on this website who bitch and moan about every single last thing that is proposed that is not a reserved, highly contextual redbrick infill in a historic streetscape. If it's built and it's shit, tear it down. It's not any more likely to be shit than everything else in the Docklands, and I'd say it's a lot more likely to be less. And this particular work is not a necessarily very long-term structure built right in front of and blocking the view of, say, Leinster House.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby gunter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:Give me a reason why we should be acting like the gaggle of menopausal fishwives on this website . . . .

we're trying to keep a Dublin tradition alive, alive O!
gunter
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:19 pm

rumpelstiltskin you need raise your expectations on all things
lostexpectation

Postby Yixian » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:17 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:But I suppose most people on here would prefer a classical fountain and brass sculptures of Sheridan and Bram Stoker.

Damn straight.
Yixian

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 pm

lostexpectation

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:47 pm

the cargo box parlour, a big wall to keep from view the events to be held within
lostexpectation

Postby missarchi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:15 pm

lostexpectation wrote:the cargo box parlour, a big wall to keep from view the events to be held within

U2 erected a fence in Germany there where many unhappy punters IT didn't even cover it and they celebrating the fall of the Berlin wall!
missarchi
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:50 pm

well its they said it was about crowd control, which they have a point, don't want people gathering outside, but its just as much about being exclusive
lostexpectation

Postby murrmurr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 pm

missarchi wrote:U2 erected a fence in Germany there where many unhappy punters IT didn't even cover it and they celebrating the fall of the Berlin wall!

MTV organised that fence not U2.
murrmurr

Postby Yixian » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm still waiting for a classical fountain and brass sculptures of Sheridan and Bram Stoker.

Neo-reneissance baby.
Yixian

Postby Yixian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 pm

I've been looking at the Treasury plans for the Docklands and they certainly have a decent few scrapers planned. Are they all going ahead?

I'm talking about Convention Centre Hotel and North Wall Quay etc.
Yixian

Postby alonso » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

alonso

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Tycoon Crosbie ready for docklands dispute over container village

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/tycoon-crosbie-ready-for-docklands-dispute--over-container-village-1998035.html
Harry Crosbie and the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) are at loggerheads over new plans for land beside the O2.

The developer has applied to Dublin City Council to be allowed to set up a temporary performance and market area at the Point Village Square on East Wall Road.

He also wants to install exhibition spaces, all in structures built from shipping containers.

However, the DDDA has written to the council outlining its strong objections to the plan.

The authority said it believes it is important to provide "quality public open space at early stages in the development of an area".

It added that the "proposal is unacceptable in terms of the material finishes proposed".

The DDDA said: "The proposed temporary development is not in the spirit of policies set out in the Dublin Docklands Master Plan 2008 or the North Lotts Planning Scheme."

A submission from Amphitheatre Ireland Ltd, the operator of the O2, said it considers the proposal would have a "significant negative impact" on the venue.

if they used all the containers for exhibition spaces, with lots of windows cut out, or viewing platforms it could work.
well it attempt to reflect the history of the area, might not work but.
he 's building an amphitheatre the plan certainly didn't look like one?
lostexpectation

Postby gunter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0203/1224263657516.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0203/incinerator.html

So after misplacing the decimal point in the contract for the Poolbeg Sewage Treatment Plant, Dublin City Council then signed a Faustian covenant with an furnace outfit called . . . . wait for it . . . . Covanta to [build and?] operate the Poolbeg Rubbish Incinerator.

Poolbeg, apparently, is that dank, out of sight, corner of the garden where you stick the compost bin and cracked flower pots :rolleyes: . . . . nice

You would like to think that there's some master plan at work here, some strategy perhaps to harness the prevailing winds in a devious ploy to deposit noxious odours and toxic fall-out on Sellafield, but unfortunately, I suspect that Poolbeg just happens to be the only patch of ground that Dublin City Council actually own that's not within half a mile of some third-party-objector's house.

The fact that Poolbeg also happens to be the focal point of Dublin Bay and the city's [potential] one true urban edge, was never going to get in the way of a good deal and Covanta, presumably, were selling a good deal.
gunter
Old Master

Postby Bago » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Is there any chance The DDDA, the man in the river, the canal city gimmick, crosbies trucker yard and every other shiny gimmick and suburban ivory tower element in the portfolio can be given a one way ticket to Dignitas HQ and some kind of temple bar group 91 esque group of architects etc left in charge of creating a possible last urban extension to the city centre??!! A real, consistant medium rise urban quarter with shops, cafes, people, parks. Are we allergic to Urbanism? siiiiiiigh
Bago

Postby gunter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Bago wrote:Is there any chance of . . . . . a real, consistant medium rise urban quarter with shops, cafes, people, parks. Are we allergic to Urbanism? siiiiiiigh

With that in mind, it's worth looking at what has been devilered in the docklands to date:

the theatre is a genuine signiture building which is going to fill the architectural mags for the next few months, but how is whole urban quarter thing working out?

there's one semi-diagonal cut that ends in a bit of a vista of the old brick chimney and a bit of the side wall of the new theatre, but even this is a bit half-hearted and interupted by a glass security barrier.

I know this is a Sunday in February, but is there something missing? Is this 'cool', or is this sterile?

stone cladding, glass, concrete and steel . . . . and a missed vista to the NCC

more stone cladding, glass, concrete and steel

the vista from the quays ends in an anonymous bit of the side cladding [stainless steel] of the new theatre.

Better photography would probably make this look fantastic, but is it fantastic?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Contraband » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:51 am

Those photographs are fantastic. I didn't know that Dublin had this sleek side to it (on such a wide scale), However, without a doubt it does look quite soulless and cold.
Are these buildings fully occupied or are they standing empty?

Side note: That new theatre really is a great addition to the city.
Contraband

Postby Devin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 pm

From Liberty Hall with all de new stuff:

Image.jpg[/IMG]
Devin
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:08 pm

It's really cold, I don't think parts of it work. Parts are really successful however.
jdivision

Postby ihateawake » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Great shots devin, cheers.

What is the state of play in the docklands now? What has been affected? Is spencer dock still under construction in full? Is the north lotts plan dead in the water?
ihateawake

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland