DDDA / Docklands Miscellany

Re: DDDA / Docklands Miscellany

Postby gunter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:39 am

What's the verdict?

Personally, I've been resisting the whole Poolbeg thing, mostly because Poolbeg in isolation does nothing to redress the city's under-performing relationship with the bay IMO.

However, as presented by Martin Biewenga this evening, the case for a poolbeg quarter, as a joined up extension of Ringsend, did look quite convincing.

You knew that, as a Dutchman, Biewenga was gagging at the bit to expand his brief and polderize the Shelley Banks and you felt that a little bit of him died when he was informed that Sandymout Strand was an untouchable EU protection zone, but still he managed to conjour up beach huts, prominades, coastal squares, linear parks and a whole new urban district where today we just see power stations and sewage treatment plants.

I particularly liked his idea of exposing the old Great South Wall as one edge of a canal separating a denser urban strip running along the edge of the Liffey from the industrial core along the spine of Poolbeg

Roofing over the sewage treatment works to creat a public park might be pushing it a bit far, but then again, under ground is where sewage wants to be.

Earlier, there was a slide sequence on a project aimed at 'greening' the campshires, which again looked sensible and unpretentious, although I detected a fleeting appearance of the 'Liffey Island' in one of his slides, which passed without comment.

It didn't start out this way, the first twenty minutes dealt with the roofed-over route of a motorway through the centre of Madrid and a year long, Europe-wide, search for deformed pine trees! At this point, the evening threatened to turn weird with disturbing images of red, bull horn shaped, tree crutches proping up horribly twisted pine trees, and foot bridges that resembled walking under the skeleton remains of whales, closely followed by images of a related project to turn Madrid's Avenue Portugal psychedelic with pink cherry trees and swirling pavement patterns.

Thankfully, the Dublin projects brought comparative sobriety and near the end of the two hour lecture, and after natural selection had thinned the audience of the less committed and the weak bladdered, Biewenga turned to a couple more international projects in Palma and finally Toronto.

The Toronto scheme looked particularly interesting and it also produced the most memorable quotes. On the existing Toronto lake-front, dense with 'iconic' monuments from the CNN tower down, Biewenga commented that: ''Architects with honourable ambitions had messed up the whole area''. He also drew attention to the 'Anglo-Saxon' need to install safety railings all over his wavy lake shore terraces.

All in all, a good evening, be interested to hear what other people made of it.
gunter
Old Master

Postby garethace » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm

I was glad I got in a question, in relation to the Bilbao effect. Martin Biewenga, is the first person I know who could put pay, to the idea that you can invite a star-chitect, and your problems are largely over, from an urban planning and designers point of view. For that, I was grateful for Martin and the DDDA organising their lecture. Here is the podcast, where I think I heard the intelligent comment about Biblao, being more than the Guggenheim museum. The podcast is to do with some program running in the US, called CEO's for Cities.

http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/podcasts/innovation/innovation_10_10_06.htm

The podcast above talks about a subject, which I like to hear about these days, building the economy. It is something, I feel the Docklands Authority has neglected in the middle of all the social, and landscaping focus. I am positive though, that had something to do with the not-so-open and public nature of the Anglo shower, who were running the 'financial' side of things in the DDDA, from the get-go. Being mainly interested in generating a network of contacts with high profile developers for themselves. The worst crony capitalism witnessed anywhere. That is where the DDDA got so screwed up, and the whole country to boot, along with it.

If you read Steven Johnson's wonderful book, Emergence, in it he describes the behaviour of an ant colony, or a bee hive. As human beings, we tend to like concepts, such as the 'queen bee'. We imagine that the queen bee is a central planner, organising and directing all of the other bees. When scientists studied bees, they noticed a phenomenon known as Emergent Intelligence. It has become an entire new branch of Artificial Intelligence research. I was reminded of this several times, when listening to Martin Biewenga's lecture. I was also reminded of how, as human beings, we always want to see a central figure, in relation to our urban environments. A master architect. A big competition for one phenomenal, fantastic, shining architectural sculpture. Compare what Biewenga was saying, to the approach adopted at the Ballsbridge site.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=7400

Invite in the big-named architect, and make it a big splash. To 'launch' the project, so to speak. It is a marketing approach, totally imported from the world of business and high-tech in particular. It is meant to be cheap and plastic-y. In PR terms, it is known as the 'paper-launch'. You simply announce a product, before you have it shipped, or even know how to build it. Sometimes years in advance of a working prototype. Often as a counter-tactic, to someone else's premature paper-launch. (The someone else in that case, being Dublin City Council, and their ever problematic and overly descriptive, long and boring development plan documents) Frank McDonald loves paper launches. They do combine so well, with the cogs of his media-making machine, the Irish Times. But on the other hand, Frank does sift through the rubbish and always emerge with the diagrams and drawings, which say the most about ourselves as a people.

The 'architectural competition' approach was adopted too, at the 9-11 site. You see it all over, and it is part of a careful orchestrated PR dance. Little whatsoever to do with the urban situation, and its need of some attention. The U2 tower competition being another example, in recent years. The Dublin Docklands Authority need to brush up on public relations however. A series of lectures before now, might have been welcome. Maybe some of the financially oriented members of its old executive, were media shy. That needs to be addressed going forward, in a new re-vitalised DDDA. There appears to be enough there to build on. I had some other notes about Biewenga's lecture, that I am slow getting around to, but I'll say a little more later maybe.

Brian O' Hanlon
garethace

Postby garethace » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:45 pm

West 8 Lecture.

The Netherlands

Much of the land in the Netherlands consists of 3005 polders, both large and small. An unintended consequence of the 20th century Dutch engineering projects was it produced a lot of beaches and amenity areas. Ever since then, the Dutch design practice of West 8 has been fascinated by the opportunities presented for using these man made amenities. Indeed the history of human created or altered environments, goes back many hundreds of years in the Netherlands. Martin Biewenga made a point on how cities produce their own wastelands. In relation to the Poolbeg peninsula I think. We could look at how these areas can be re-vitalised and drawn back into the urban fabric.

Madrid

Unlike in northern European locations, such as the Netherlands or Ireland, it is very easy to make a public realm in Spain. All you need to do is put out a bit of garden furniture and people do gather around each other. 7 Km of infrastructure and public realm. The river in Madrid had to be damned during construction. Only one year to collect all of the trees needed for the Madrid project. The idea was to introduce some character into the trees themselves and to avoid the ‘lolly-pop stick’ appearance of many trees obtained from commercial nurseries. Trees that grow in the wild always have some character about them, being blown by the wind, beaten down by the elements and lasted nonetheless.

Dublin

West 8 did a comparison with other rivers in cities they knew. Such as those in Venice, Paris, London etc. A 2 kilometre length of river in Dublin has 12 bridges. In the Dublin docklands area, much waterfront length exists. But the density of bridges is only 3 bridges per 2 kilometres of waterfront instead of 12. The proposal therefore was to increase the density of bridges in the docklands environment. West 8 also noticed many of the streets which lead to the waterfront are unattractive. The connection between major transport nodes and waterfront locations are often ill-considered. Design opportunities to link the city with the water, in better ways had been lost. Barrow Street Dart Station being one example. A scheme of bridges and routes was proposed, which would link Barrow St station, the newly completed Grand Canal Square, and beyond to a train station on the north side. When one looks at the ‘commodity, firmness and delight’ provided by the new bridge near the CHQ, once does realize how much the proposed bridges and spaces, would improve 'flow' through the docklands amenity space. Martin showed us some slides of Copenhagen, where a floating public swimming pool had been constructed on the edge of an existing dock. The possibilities of creating platforms, in Dublin’s docklands, by using floating jetties moored together in different arrangements, was explored in some sketches by West 8.

Bringing ecological diversity back into the city, does require a huge amount of consultation with the stakeholders - engineers, planners, city mayors, traffic concerns etc. Not to mention property developers. A task which West 8 took upon themselves and came unstuck in relation to 'Liffey Island'. Martin did remind us however, with a slide of the 1686 map of the Liffey river delta that docklands land is really man-made anyhow. Even as recently as the 1950s, the land for the Dublin Port container terminal didn’t exist. I had to be created by means of fill material dumped over the existing sea wall, which you can still see as you walk down through Poolbeg peninsula. The edges which originally defined the edge of Dublin city, are constantly changing. Except for those edges protected by the EU. Apart from West 8’s framework plans, other landscape design projects in the Docklands include the Royal Canal Linear Park designed by Agence Ter, a French practice. And Martha Swarthz’s completed design for Grand Canal Square. West 8 seem to be working towards a solutions to the systemic problems in cities highlighted so brilliantly by Mike Davis in his book, Planet of Slums. For instance, West 8 are doing a project for the 7km mass tourism strip at Majorca.

http://www.west8.nl/projects/all/playa_de_palma/

The design brief at Majorca was to look at the side of the island with a 7km beach, and dozens of high rise hotels. All the trees had been cut down, in the construction of this place. A place that is now losing money hand over fist, to the other side of the island of Majorca, which still has trees and an ecosystem very much intact. West 8 came up with a plan to re-green the mass tourism strip of 7km. To tie it back to the more natural parts of the island, by means of ecological corridors through the city. West 8 are doing a project for the waterfront in Toronto too. All of these projects are much larger and more extensive than any one development. Ecology wants to be expansive, not constrained into the 'mini-habitats' that urban designers provide. It is a strange turn around for modernist architects, who are all about concrete and steel buildings. They built icons all over the world, in the 20th century. Now they are trying to re-green, and to re-instate habitats which were lost in the original ‘build-out phase’. If memory serves me correct, I think Steven Holl was involved in a project in New York, where they used some old railroad infrastructure. An old steel viaduct railway line to plant a new linear green parks, at high level, through New York city. It is odd. We are doing the opposite to the 19th and 20th centuries. William McDonagh's book Cradle to Cradle also talks about greening of roofs of ford motor company buildings, on a grand scale.

http://www.mcdonough.com/cradle_to_cradle.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McDonough

Ken Yeang is another international architect figure, which springs to mind. His bioclimatic skyscrapers being another interesting development in recent years.

Brian O’ Hanlon
garethace

Postby garethace » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm

One for the christmas stocking:

Atlas of the Irish Rural Landscape
by F. H. A. Aalen, Kevin Whelan, Matthew Stout

Whelan often makes the point, that no corner of the globe's natural habitat is really virgin land, un-touched in some shape or form by human beings. I once listened to a lecture he gave about the Aran Islands, in which he explained the history of development in that place.

B.
garethace

Postby tommyt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:56 pm

More shenanigans from our chums;

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR117005

Design, supply, construction and operation of an observation wheel. It's mooted to be stuck in Georges Dock til they build the Abbey or Custom House Quay...
tommyt

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Why don't they just cut to the chase and appoint Marks Barfield?

Or are they thinking more along the lines of Micheál O'Nuallain?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby cgcsb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm

oh no.:(
cgcsb

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:23 pm

I think one of the D in DDDA obviously stands for Disneyland ;)

Sod a wheel, I'd rather a fixed observation tower anyday.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:I think one of the D in DDDA obviously stands for Disneyland ;)

Sod a wheel, I'd rather a fixed observation tower anyday.

what like a skyscraper for example?

are they finished with the one in belfast?

I presume this is temporary too.

how many are there of those things?

does a wheel work better then a tower is it easier to make? for a public observation tourism point?
lostexpectation

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:43 am

Docklands authourity insists lands are safe
THE Dublin Docklands Development Authority has rejected a claim that waste contained in land earmarked for housing could pose a threat to human health.
http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/1839/55/

However, a qualified physicist and engineer has raised serious concerns about the suitability the land intended for residential use.
Joe McCarthy, from Sandymount, claimed that the peninsula largely consists of reclaimed land that contains a wide variety of hazardous materials from a number of different sources, dumped there over several decades.
He said: “There is a great deal of municipal waste dumped there but there is also a certain amount of industrial waste from the old Gas Company and cinders from the original Poolbeg power station, which used to burn coal.
“The reclamation process began in the early 1940s until the late 1970s and I think the last dumping took place there around 1981.
“Another source of hazardous material is municipal dumping of every variety that lasted over 30 years and ended in the late 1970s.”

“People will be able to work, live and play in total safety in the future on these lands. In some cases, developers will be required to remove contaminated material and this would be done under the requirements of the Waste Management Act.”
She added that the redevelopment of previously contaminated lands is common practice and the authority has extensive experience in this type of work.
lostexpectation

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:01 am

Giant 'London Eye'-type wheel for Dublin
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6169697.ece

The structure will be 20m taller than Liberty Hall but considerably smaller than the 120m Spire.

lest they come up with something original
lostexpectation

Postby spoil_sport » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:07 am

A bit late for april fool's??

Maybe they can link it up with the Liffey cable car thing and make a kind of Hot Wheels loop-the-loop.
spoil_sport

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 am

It's not that it wouldn't be nice, but it's already been done! And of course if someone had suggested this before the London Eye went up it would have been rejected.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby aj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:31 pm

lostexpectation wrote:Giant 'London Eye'-type wheel for Dublin
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6169697.ece

The structure will be 20m taller than Liberty Hall but considerably smaller than the 120m Spire.

lest they come up with something original

when they say custom house quay I hope they mean nowhere near the customs house... they are that stupid you could seem them plonking it there!.
aj

Postby Morlan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:46 pm

lostexpectation wrote:Giant 'London Eye'-type wheel for Dublin

Oh for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:
Morlan

Postby lostexpectation » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 am

aj wrote:when they say custom house quay I hope they mean nowhere near the customs house... they are that stupid you could seem them plonking it there!.

well its not used for very much else, i think the one in belfast was put up beside the city hall while it was being refurbished, similar circumstances, anyway custom house key stretches down to commons street the other side of the inner dock.
lostexpectation

Postby PTB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:40 am

PTB

Postby tommyt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am

aj wrote:when they say custom house quay I hope they mean nowhere near the customs house... they are that stupid you could seem them plonking it there!.

sites officially identified are George's dock and CHQ- just east of the scherzer bridge by the riverboat jetty or alternatively east of Sean O'Casey bridge on the site of the old DDDA HQ/Isle of Man Steampacket Office which would I presume advance its demolition.
tommyt

Postby jdivision » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 pm

I think the site of the old offices would be best. Would hasten their removal and the pedestrian bridge ensures easy access from all over town, would also boost footfall in CHQ which at the moment is a dessert. Blocking out a bit of the Jurys not a bad thing either.
jdivision

Postby gunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Would it not look like the emaciated famine memorial figures are queing to get on the wheel?
gunter
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

jdivision wrote:I think the site of the old offices would be best.

The best site has already been selected- the banks of the Thames.

Regardless of location, wouldn't it block the view of Gormley's Aeroman from some parts of the city? What's that you say? Only from the northside? Well that's okay then!
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Service charge » Sat May 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Well if the Jameson Chimney is anything to go by the wheel will be a great success at attracting new life to the docklands:D
Service charge

Postby lostexpectation » Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Docklands chiefs' big plan for Dublin Eye sparks angry backlash
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/docklands-chiefs-big-plan-for-dublin-eye-sparks-angry-backlash-1724579.html

Cllr Stafford pointed out that there are many unfinished projects in the Docklands area, which he believes deserve priority.

"I think the authority should focus on work that is half done and get that completed before they start on anything else," he said.
lostexpectation

Postby jdivision » Sun May 10, 2009 6:41 pm

jdivision

Postby missarchi » Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Is there a city that does not have a Ferris wheel?
missarchi
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland