RE: Old Bear Inn ~ 1640
Reminiscences of old Limerick by Ernest H. Bennis, 1951Book
Broad Street, once a leading and prosperous thoroughfare, contains a well chiselled archway, formerly the entrance to the “Old Bear Inn”, having on the keystone the inscription “Pierse Creagh 1640, rebuilt by John Creagh 1767”.
Here's a nice photograph of the Old Bear Inn, no. 29&30 Broad Street now unfortunately demolished along with most of the western side of Broad St. Nice squat-two story dutch-billy, the original pitch of the gable end is clearly evident in the brickwork. The site was fully excavated in the late 1980's prior to re-development however the inscribed plaque went missing at this time, probably on someones mantelpiece.