One Berkley court -132m Tower

Re: Dunne vs the nimbys

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:58 pm

I went up there at lunchtime and had a mooch around. the exhibition is sparse and the 3ds a little amateurish but the little tv documentaries that accompany it are worth looking at.

On the whole I was impressed and convinced by the scheme (Duncan Stewart is in favour of it in that increasing urban density will decrease suburban sprawl and reduce car use etc)

Whether their claim to be carbon neutral in 10 years is acheivable or not is debatable but the intention is good.

There are 180 apartments in the tower so the majority are in the lower buildings. The tower itself is a twin wall so no balconies which is something that DCC might look at under their new guidelines. I'm sure there's a wind report in the EIS that gives good reason. The inner wall of the twin wall can be opened up and there are some louvres on the outer facade but no wintergardens as such.

The office component contravenes the zoning but at 15% of the overall development I think they're looking at it as a sacrificial lamb.

They have thoroughly embraced the need for larger apartments and family living, with the average apartment size at 125sqm and 3bedroom apts at 44% of the mix. 1 beds take up only 10%.

There was a bunch of aul ones talking to the press but I had to leave when it became like an episode of Kilroy

Fair play to Mr. Dunne. Ballsy move. It's a very well thought out venture that puts the ball firmly in DCC's court.
wearnicehats

Postby jdivision » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:18 pm

hutton wrote:This "letter" by Dunne appeared in the Times last week. Quite odd really for a CEO to be issuing such broadsides - and unneccessary I would have thought for the IT to publish it all in it's total (and painful) entireity. I am posting one reply to it for balance at the end.

Really? General feeling in our newsroom was that it was excellent, highlighting the factually incorrect nonsense written by the Times in relation to the site and also broadcast by RTE. Judging by some of Frank McDonald's comments today it obviously had an impact.
jdivision

Postby notjim » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:29 pm

I actually enjoyed this letter too, agreed with lots, found some of it self-seving, but overall I enjoyed reading it and felt afterwards I understood Sean Dunne's view point better, surely the point of letters like this.

Lots of people objected to the length, but it left me feeling that it is middle length letters that are boring, I thought they should introduce a policy that letters over say three lines should be forced to go on for a side of A4.
notjim

Postby jdivision » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:38 pm

notjim wrote:How so, it looks great to me, the angles are interesting without being fiddly, the scale is impressive and the location seems ideal for a large tower, standing by those big wide streets at the corner of a huge site, near the city, by the business district, rising up out a streetscape of handsome terraces. If not here, where?

I just don't think it has the wow factor I was expecting after Dunne had an architectural competition etc. I know he was concerned with density but it just doesn't move me in the way I had hoped. I don't have any problem with the height element at all and believe Ballsbridge is probably best location in the city along with docklands for such a building. The rest of the scheme reminds me of a cross between Longboat Quay and that tall apartment building in Dolphins Barn which most architects seem to love but which I find aesthetically ghastly.
jdivision

Postby darkman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:47 pm

*cough* im sure it will be built;)
darkman

Postby Pepsi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm

i can't see this being built either.
Pepsi

One Berkley court -132m Tower

Postby cubix » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:00 pm

Dublin developer Sean Dunne has unveiled his long-awaited plans for his Ballsbridge estate in Dublin which controversially includes a 37-storey tower.

The founding partner of Mountbrook Homes submitted a planning application to Dublin City Council today for the 7 acre Jurys Berkeley Court site in the exclusive area of Dublin.

His mixed-use scheme comprises residential and retail space, including an underground mall, an embassy complex that could accommodate the relocation of some of the 29 embassies in Ballsbridge, an office block, a 232 room luxury hotel, and an ice rink. There will also be a crèche for 150 children and a ‘cultural quarter’ including a European Centre for Culture.

The centrepiece of the scheme is a 132m tower, which will be known as One Berkeley Court, and is ‘sculpted like a diamond’. The scheme has been designed by Denmark’s Henning Larsen Architects, which won the brief in an architectural competition last year.

Dunne bought the site in 2005, at €54m an acre (£36.5m an acre), in what was, at the time, a record price for land in Ireland.

Sean Dunne, managing director of Mountbrook, who has dubbed his estate the future ‘Knightsbridge of Dublin’, said: ‘Ballsbridge has for a long time been wrongly portrayed by some as a village, whereas in actual fact it is a national centre, in that it houses the home of Irish rugby, the headquarters of AIB (the largest bank in Ireland), 1.5m sq ft of offices, the Royal Dublin Society and is home to 29 embassies.’

It is the second major planning application to be submitted in Ballsbridge. Earlier this week Irish developer Ray Grehan submitted a planning application for a €600m (£406m) development – Number One Ballsbridge – next to Dunne’s site.

Both applications, which seek to significantly increase the density of the site and introduce a tower in a low rise area will be closely watched. Dublin’s planning authorities have historically been averse to tall developments except in certain areas of the city – such as the docklands.
cubix

Re: One Berkley court -132m Tower

Postby Pepsi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:19 pm

tune into tv3 right now to see something about this. should be on after the ads.
Pepsi

Postby cubix » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm

yeah just seen it very informative- might be a small bit ambitious-theres a 15 stroey tower proposed right beside it and it looks well/has he not had a tower rejected already?
cubix

Postby AndrewP » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 pm

notjim wrote:At 20 semi-d's to the acre, that is 27 acres, leaving out the shopping space, cinema, offices, embassy and so on. Picture 27 acres of semi-d housing in your mind.

Actually, if the Ballsbridge site is 11 acres, that doesn't seem a huge space saving. I presume services for what would be a village of up to 2,000 people would take up another huge chunk of land though. So you're talking about no new land being used as opposed to what? 40 acres?
I live in a low-density, underpopulated, relatively central area and wouldn't have a huge problem with a scheme like this nearby. But I'm a northsider and take a more pragmatic view of these things...:)
AndrewP

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:52 pm

AndrewP wrote:Actually, if the Ballsbridge site is 11 acres, that doesn't seem a huge space saving. I presume services for what would be a village of up to 2,000 people would take up another huge chunk of land though. So you're talking about no new land being used as opposed to what? 40 acres?
I live in a low-density, underpopulated, relatively central area and wouldn't have a huge problem with a scheme like this nearby. But I'm a northsider and take a more pragmatic view of these things...:)

it's 7 acres
wearnicehats

Postby AndrewP » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:55 pm

wearnicehats wrote:it's 7 acres

Oh, I must have misread the Dunne letter. Well jaysus that's a big difference!
AndrewP

Postby GrahamH » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:02 pm

Of course the well-heeled residents of this development would never live in a 3-bed semi anyway.
And they'll still maintain their country homes to boot Image
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 pm

No he hasn't. The Council's LAP was turned down by the councillors. Dunne had nothing to do with it.
jdivision

Postby notjim » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Can this be merged with the other thread?
notjim

Postby kefu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:04 pm

kefu

Postby Sarsfield » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 pm

I went to the Berkeley Court today to have a look at the proposal.

I left feeling that the tower is quite attractive but the surrounding buildings are a little unexciting.

Even the artists impressions, including images of beautiful people enjoying capuccinos & carrying shopping bags, looked rather bland.

Some nice views of the development looking down Pembroke Road, and across Shelbourne Road, give an idea of what the scheme might look like.

The video presentation is quite interesting, And Duncan Stewart pops up in it, favouring high rise, high density.

John Bowman was there at the same time as me so I look forward to hearing the views of such an influential commentator!

Worth a visit. Open until Sunday.
Sarsfield

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:18 pm

Please Please let this project go ahead. this is a stunning building. a real landmark. 37 floors is massive for Dublin, but not really that big by world standards.

Nobody in this country wants change. And no doubt the grumpy old upper middle clas of ballsbridge will be out whinging about thier 'village; being raped by developers. Half probaby with only a 5 year life span left. look you'll be dead by the time it's finished love.

Hope it goes head. Please god it won't come back as a stumpy 12 storey job. We have enough ugly 60's, 70' 80's 90's and noughties 12 storey stumps...look at the business park their building on either side of the liffey for gawds sake, it's sandyford Industrial estate upon sea. a disgrace in terms of height and imagination(some tiny exceptions). C'mon lads let's have vital, exciting living architecture. Have some vision and make the unpopular decision. For a change!!!!!
Frodo

Postby Morlan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 am

Ballsbridge is no place for 37 storeys. Locals will rightfully object and it will be finally reduced to 16 storeys at the most. Seán Dunne will still make a profit - that's why he proposed 37 storeys in the first place.

There's still a few spots left in Sandyford or Tallaght for projects like this. We can all assume that the Docklands is a no-go area for highrise at the moment.

It's a damn shame. Dublin is following in London's & Bimingham's footsteps; Willy-nilly highrise all around the city.
Morlan

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:05 pm

[quote="Morlan"]Ballsbridge is no place for 37 storeys. Locals will rightfully object and it will be finally reduced to 16 storeys at the most. Seán Dunne will still make a profit - that's why he proposed 37 storeys in the first place.

There's still a few spots left in Sandyford or Tallaght for projects like this. We can all assume that the Docklands is a no-go area for highrise at the moment.

It's a damn shame. Dublin is following in London's & Bimingham's footsteps]

but whty tallaght and sandytford..is that not aping the london/birmingham model as you suggetst... why do you say ballsbridge is no palce for highrise but tallaght or sandyford are?

I believ this area could be wellserved by one highrise landmark builing?
Frodo

Postby cubix » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:47 pm

i tink if we get 1 biggy constructed a lot of attitudes will change, look at the gerkin in london,people took a likin2 it, now dere goin up everywhere, even if we hav high rises scattered al over the city its better than none at al imo.
cubix

Postby alonso » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 pm

spling and propr wel gud grammer r usly apreci8ed on dis site!

Anyway I went along to the Berkeley Court today to have a proper gander. The scheme in it's entirety is fairly sound from all perspectives - social, environmental etc. The only issue is the sheer height of the main tower, which at 37 is pretty much too damn high. I agree that there should be an intense redevelopment but I don't like the idea of one high rise for every suburb of Dublin. I like the idea of clusters in Sford, Tallaght and Blanch but stickin single ones all over the shop with no strategy for the skyline will do damage.
alonso

Postby archipig » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:34 pm

I quite like this, but I still think it could be about 10 storeys shorter. Whats the point of having an ice rink?
archipig

Postby sw101 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 pm

archipig wrote:I quite like this, but I still think it could be about 10 storeys shorter. Whats the point of having an ice rink?

there is a sore lack of an icerink in the city centre. the closure of the phibsboro one was a pity.

is there any real, appreciable difference between a 37 storey and a 27 storey building in how they impose on the street around them? if anything i would say the taller the better. once a building becomes too tall for it's true height to be appreciated, it disappears from a pedestrian's consciousness
sw101

Postby ElArqui » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:16 pm

OK! exciting tower! but I still don´t know where architects get the trendy forms. I mean 3 yrs ago it was the rotating milk carton (U2 tower) and its twin in Dubai.

Now we have this "diamond shape" tower and it is just like the one Koolhaas proposed for Mexico city.
It is a a coincidence that the most controversial project for Mexico city looks like Dublin´s most controversial project. Dublin´s is 32 storey high and the other 300mts high, but at models are very similar.
Anyway, mexican nimbys are busy too! They are up in arms against the project.

So, where can one find that catalogue of forms that make the norm for the fashion in architecture?

Check out Koolkaas´ building in Mexico city at:

http://www.torrebicentenario.com/
ElArqui

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland