Giant sculpture to be located in Liffey

Re: Giant sculpture to be located in Liffey

Postby publicrealm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 pm

ctesiphon wrote:Oh for fuck's sake. .

Tut.....no language for a Lady!
publicrealm

Postby lostexpectation » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 pm

reading the objections, one person points out there height of this is similar to the christ figure in sau paulo or the liberty statue but both those are in much more open areas, this thing is much more light but they have point. look at the cloud matrix thats in a much more open and still an industrial area.

they said the putting it there so it wouldn't get into way of boat traffic but im sure there other places, there's already a the linesman and the lives lost at sea sculpture right near there. its not lacking for sculptures.

the ddda spokeswomen is not convincing at all on its placement

direct link to monday liveline discussion on it.
http://www.dublinstreams.com:/temp/209-rte-liveline-Monday.smil
lostexpectation

Postby johnny21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Is the scheme still going ahead?? Hope not!!!! it looks totally out of place,it would damage the docklands visually. :eek:
Attachments
20080207114531_GormleyROTATE_0001.jpg
20080207114531_GormleyROTATE_0001.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
johnny21

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:44 pm

Just got PP from DCC. Appeals period still open...

publicrealm wrote:Tut.....no language for a Lady!

Sometimes one's guard slips. It was the last spritzer that did the damage...
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby johnny21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Cheers ctesiphon. Looks like it be built so.....!!:mad:
johnny21

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Like I say, anyone who objected can still appeal, so don't presume the worst just yet.

*crosses fingers*
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby johnny21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:03 pm

cross fingers.....yea too right!!!
johnny21

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Looking at the picture again I have to say, what a fantastic sculpture, the tension between its presence, its brooding quality, and its lightness, its transparency is visually very exciting: I love the wierd mixture of being and absense. I just wish it was to be sited somewhere else, somewhere where it wouldn't damage a great iconic vista and somewhere where its obvious function, as a fretwork, a basket, for our dream of the city's soul, could be more wholy accomplished; could it not look over us, to replace the tripod Mary on the North Wall for example or to stand at a high point in the park.
notjim

Postby johnny21 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Its a good sculpture but in the wrong place! But is there anyway in the docklands that would suit the sculpture without having a negative effect?????:confused:
johnny21

Postby gunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 pm

notjim wrote: . . what a fantastic sculpture . . . its obvious function . . . a fretwork, a basket, for our dream of the city's soul . . .

I hadn't thought of that 'function', but would our dreams not fall through?

On the other hand, if they stuck his arm up, he could hold up one end of the Liffey Cable Car, or would that constitute multi-tasking and they'd have to make him a woman!

I don't think Gormley does women.
gunter
Old Master

Postby cubix » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Problem is if the scuplture was situated anywhere else and I mean anywhere,people would be saying the exact same things,out of context,in the wrong place,too big,whinge whinge blah blah,idea is to enhance the docklands aesthetically,there is very little to damage form a visual point of view so they can't really go wrong.
cubix

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:53 pm

cubix wrote:there is very little to damage form a visual point of view so they can't really go wrong.

so now you are just trolling!
notjim

Postby lostexpectation » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 pm

go read the docs cubix, there plenty of reason for it to be said to be in the wrong place,

i dunno it depends if its gormely choice of place or the dddas, in some of the bluff i think he says he wants people to be close to it, but i dunno.

where it it go better just further down john rogersons quay, we need a mpa to show what parts of the river quayside are used?
lostexpectation

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Gormley's on The Arts Show on Radio 1 right now talking about this.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:00 pm

the picture linked on their page is an old one :/
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/theartsshow/gormley.html

the reporter brings this up

the says the primary view will be from the north bank looking south, while the viewing platform is shown on the plans from the south bank, although the revised plans mention looking at it from the bridge, he does use this language about recalibrate north south east west alignment, but i thought the spire did that.

reporter mentioned 'controversy' but didn't really ask him any decent questions on it.
lostexpectation

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:39 pm

that montage is bugging me - my eyes must be deceiving me but I reckon it's too big. It looks at least 15 office storeys high which would make it 60m, not 48. Must not be reading the position correctly - is this thing marked on a plan?
wearnicehats

Postby gunter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 pm

They could always relocate the Gormley to Wellington Quay and get him to piss into the Clarence 'Sky catcher'.

Who wouldn't pay to get a close-up of that from a passing cable car?
gunter
Old Master

Postby GP » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm

For all that I quite like the idea of the sculpture the location is asinine. It seems to me that there are many places with a sense of placelessness that could do with this type of gesture if it were relevant.

There seems to be a real determination to see the river as all things but a river; an annoying piece of unbuildable real estate in the docklands area (but they are working on it) or a nasty little sewer from Butt Bridge to Kingsbridge. It’s a river! Simple really and should be an amenity and a life force to be embraced by the whole city as something that connects them from Lucan to the Sea. Lots of good use is made of the river after Kingsbridge. What is it with all these theme park ideas? There is a plan for another giant not far from him, the skybins on the quays etc. A lot of good stuff has been built of that there is no doubt and a lot of mediocre stuff too, but that is normal. To allow short term garbage is an affront to the people who have to live in the city.

As to yer man ……., Donne figured this out a long time ago…… No man is an island...

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Or then again maybe when the statue is in place we will rewrite a little bit of history and make him our own Manannan Mac Lir.
GP

Postby constat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm

wearnicehats wrote:that montage is bugging me - my eyes must be deceiving me but I reckon it's too big. It looks at least 15 office storeys high which would make it 60m, not 48. Must not be reading the position correctly - is this thing marked on a plan?

If the structure is 48m, it’s hardly going to be “taller than Liberty Hall” as stated in previous link, unless it is perched up on a statue of liberty style Plinth!
constat

Postby cgcsb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 pm

where is Kingsbridge? do you mean Heuston Bridge?
cgcsb

Postby fergalr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Again... put it on the Papal Cross.. :p
fergalr

Postby GP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:03 am

Thank you cgcsb, you are most kind.

Wiki says;

Seán Heuston Bridge (Irish: Droichead Seán Heuston) is a cast iron bridge spanning the River Liffey beside Heuston Station, Dublin.

Naming plaque - Seán Heuston Bridge
Originally designed by George Papworth to carry horsedrawn traffic, it was constructed in 1828 and named Kings Bridge to commemorate a visit by King George IV in 1821.
In 1923 it was renamed Sarsfield Bridge, and in 1941 it was again renamed as the Seán Heuston Bridge for Seán Heuston, who was executed for his part in the 1916 Easter Rising.
The bridge was restored in 2003 and now carries Luas tram traffic on the red line.
The bridge and adjacent train station are still commonly referred to by older Dubliners as "Kings Bridge" and "Kings Bridge Station" respectively

At lot of my family are from this part of the city and I say that many people still refer to the area as Kingsbridge, this is in fact borne out by a quick check on addesses on the internet.

So if you want to be pedantic, “Where is Heuston Bridge? Do you mean Seán Heuston Bridge?
GP

Postby igy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 am

I'd refer to the bridge as the Seán Heuston Bridge, but I always knew that general area as Kingsbridge, and until now I didn't realise where the name came from :)
igy

Postby cgcsb » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:28 am

GP I live in the area myself. maybe wiki is right, the term Kingsbridge is prefered by "OLD" Dubliners
cgcsb

Postby GP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm

When Donald Rumsfold used the term "OLD", he did it better. But you're in good company. Glad I could let you know where you live!
GP

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland