dublin airport terminal

Does the architectural quality appear low?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 43

Re: Dublin airport terminals fiasco!

Postby DublinLimerick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:49 pm

Airports are the first impressions you get of a country - my favourites in addition to Munich are Schiphol, CDG, and Helsinki.
DublinLimerick

Postby alpha » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:53 pm

DublinLimerick wrote:Airports are the first impressions you get of a country - my favourites in addition to Munich are Schiphol, CDG, and Helsinki.

that's very true dublinlimerick, i must say first impressions do last and dublin airport gives a bad one. i do hate coming back to ireland through the old part of the airport. it does look so outdated.
alpha

Postby DublinLimerick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 pm

I agree alpha, what we need is an architecturally stunning terminal buliding which works.
Lets hope we get it - or will we get a 'design and build' heap of concrete at minimal cost.
DublinLimerick

Postby alpha » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 pm

i hope the end result looks nice and striking and is very efficient. they can do some amazing things with airport structures these days. i have visited a good few airports over the years and my favourite one to date has to be frankfurt. i'm sure there are better ones out there though.
alpha

Postby dowlingm » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:39 pm

A-ha

I think what you mean is that pre-Ryanair STN was empty, not "spacious".
dowlingm

Postby A-ha » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:06 pm

lol, I guess thats what I mean. It was like owning your very own private airport. I do hope they build a second runway at Stansted. Heathrow is almost unbearable. What will it be like with Terminal 5 will open. They say that it's all ready going to be overcrowded, and it hasn't even been built yet. Thank God Ryanair hasn't invaded Gatwick like it has done with other airports. It's overcrowded enough as it is! Hopefully all will go well with Dublin and Cork airports.
A-ha

The New Dublin Airport : here's the ball, now roll it....??

Postby electrolyte » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:47 pm

DAA announces plans for passenger terminal

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) has announced plans to build a new 50,000sq metre passenger terminal building at Dublin Airport to the south of the existing terminal facility and to the rear of the existing Pier C.

The new terminal is the core component of a €1.2bn, ten-year Framework Development Programme, announced by the DAA today (September 20) to increase Dublin Airport’s operational capacity from current levels of over 18m passengers per year, to over 30m passengers per year.

The new terminal, which will become operational in late 2009, will have a capacity for up to 15m passengers per year. It will cost between €170m and €200m to build depending on detailed design specification. The terminal’s design will accommodate long-haul routes and facilitate the onward transfer of passengers and luggage.

The DAA also plans to deliver significant additional aircraft contact stands within the next two years by building Pier D, for which it has already secured planning permission. The new two-storey, 200 metre-long structure will become operational at the northern edge of the airfield by late 2007.

Other key elements of the Framework Development Programme include:

· Provision of over 40 new wide and narrow-bodied aircraft contact stands by 2011 by constructing a second new pier adjoining the new terminal, and the extension of the existing Pier B.

· Provision of extensive new airfield surfaces for taxiing and remote parking of aircraft.

· Optimisation of the existing terminal building by building a northward extension and other alleviating measures.

· Upgrading of the airport’s road network and the provision of new arrivals and departures kerbside and set-down space.

“The DAA Framework Development Programme represents a comprehensive and swift response to the Government’s decision of last May that the company should build a new passenger terminal and other infrastructure at Dublin Airport to cater for ongoing strong growth in aviation traffic and passenger numbers,” said Gary McGann, Chairman, DAA.

“I am confident that by working closely with the airlines and other stakeholders, the DAA can now deliver at Dublin Airport, the dynamic gateway that Ireland’s 21st century economy requires and the high standards of comfort, safety and efficiency that our passengers and the broad community of airport users have a right to expect. The time for talking about these facilities is over, it’s now time for action and delivery” he stated.

Following the Government’s decision, the DAA appointed the London-based airport development consultants, Pascall & Watson to engage in a detailed consultation process with the principal airlines and other key stakeholders at Dublin Airport to ascertain their requirements for new and expanded airport facilities.

The DAA’s criteria underpinning the consultation process required cost-effective solutions that were deliverable within the timeframe set by the Government and delivered significant enhancement of passenger service levels. The solutions
also needed to be compatible with existing airport development plans, stated airline needs, and adaptable to likely changes in the aviation industry such as Open Skies.

“Pascall & Watson’s recommendations have been approved by the Board of the DAA and are fully incorporated in the Framework Development Programme,” said Declan Collier, Chief Executive, DAA. “They have given us the blueprint to build the dynamic airport gateway this city and country require and proposed some short-term solutions to address the current pressure on passenger and aircraft capacity.

“As requested, they have recommended the optimum location and outline specification for the new terminal. They have advised as to the optimum scale and mix of aircraft contact stands we need to cater for up to 30m passengers per annum and the sequence in which this capacity needs to be built. And they have provided indicative costings for the overall development programme, for which the company now requires appropriate funding from the Commission for Aviation Regulation.

The DAA will soon award the contract to build Pier D and commence the tender process for the detailed design of the second passenger terminal. When these designs have been completed and costed in detail, they will be subject to independent verification as required by government, so as to provide additional assurance to all stakeholders that the DAA’s plans are cost effective.

“We will then move into the planning stage and a parallel public tender process for the construction phase of the development. All told, the pre-construction phase for the new terminal may take up to two years, followed by a subsequent two-year construction phase up to late 2009,” said Declan Collier.

“This is a very exciting and challenging project for the DAA and the company is determined to deliver facilities at Dublin Airport, which meet the business requirements of our customers and which represent appropriately the capital city airport of a progressive EU member state,” he added.

So what do we think...? Its not very detailed. I was hoping they would have some designs and stuff...but it seems like it could be good....I just hope the integration of it with the current terminal and piers doesn't become its downfall. No mention of transport - apart from road improvements. So i guess, in typical Irish fashion, we're all gonna be encouraged to continue driving there, coz we have no other real option....jeez.
electrolyte

Re: The New Dublin Airport : here's the ball, now roll it....??

Postby PDLL » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:50 pm

yip - the car is king
PDLL

Postby PDLL » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:01 pm

I wonder will any of the parking places for the aeroplanes be designed to take the new airbus!? I bet you the answer is no so immediately after it is built they will realise - oops, we are not able to cater for airlines that might wish to use the airbus for long-haul flights. I hope they have done good market research.
PDLL

Postby alpha » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:05 pm

it's like the port tunnel. they start to build it, then all of a sudden... "oh no it won't take super trucks". i bet you anything they will make a mess of the airport too.
alpha

Postby corcaighboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:09 pm

PowerPoint from the Dublin Airport Authority Site with visuals of terminal plans going forward.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/AR_Corporate/pdf/PressFinal.pdf

Looks a bit of a mess to me, with piers and aircraft all over the place.
corcaighboy

Postby electrolyte » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:15 pm

he he....its always a fear isn't it? But a justified fear....unfortunately.

But I was looking at the DDA website and the original plan for "Pier D" back in 2002, which was sceduled to be open by now.... :confused: ....does specify catering for larger aircraft, including Boeing 747's. Should they cater for the new double-decker Airbus? I'm thinking if they're gonna built a modern, up-to-date airport, they should, even though they will probably never land there, at least they could if they had to. But then again, maybe they forgot this time...they forgot about transport development. At least they forgot to mention it....maybe there's a part 2 due for release after lunch? Maybe the DAA have all gone to the pub to decide what they're gonna do. Yep...Im gonna check back later.

I wanna see designs.
electrolyte

Postby electrolyte » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:18 pm

Seems they're back from the pub, with their designs already.... :eek:
I dunno...it seems all over the place...
electrolyte

Postby alpha » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:18 pm

you are right. it does look a bit of a mess. why can't they come up with something better? something that will make you stand back and go wow. frankfurt springs to mind.
alpha

Postby naz78 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:29 pm

I think those plans look dead boring. Why is it that we can't build anything decent these days? People that built buildings all over the world including Ireland hundreds of years ago did way better than we do today. I am not impressed with that one bit at all.
naz78

Postby notjim » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:16 pm

The location of the new terminal seems sensible to me; what I don't get is how are we going to get to pier d, that long curved walkway won't take a travellator will it?

will this cut off all airside views of the original building?
notjim

Postby asdasd » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 pm

The plans seem like a sensible addition to what we have, regardless of architectural merit, which is not obvious from the diagrams. I dont see it as a mess, but neat.

I presume they need more runways as well to cater for this capacity?

it's like the port tunnel. they start to build it, then all of a sudden... "oh no it won't take super trucks". i bet you anything they will make a mess of the airport too.

That meme will never die, will it? The designers knew about super trucks, had aboring machine which didn't handle the height, knew that SuperTrucks are illegal on most roads, in Ireland and anywhere else, and were 3% of the total of trucks hauled ( worldwide, I think, rather than here). Andof course had they built to accomdate SuperTrucks, a newer bigger super truck would have come along and caused more sneering.

The sensible thing was to do as they did. Of course Dublin Airport should handle larger aircraft - a different kettle of fish.
asdasd

Postby alpha » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:35 pm

a sensible thing to do would be to build extra large just in case. get things right at the begining. think things through properly. it is mad that in london for example some of the tube lines don't allow much room between the train and the roof of the tunnel.
alpha

Postby GrahamH » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:42 pm

It's a pity Dublin Airport is such a sprawling mess of various buildings - as a result it is largely not possible for the complex to feature a purpose-built 'iconic' structure, we just have to live with that.

The closest we could get to it I suppose is in the designing of the new Terminal 2 in a manner that the existing main Terminal 1 building can eventually be re-clad/designed in a complementary fashion...

Of course the question of the day is - what's going to happen to the fondly-held Corballis House?!

Suggestions of moving it are more than just a little bizarre...
Surely half the charm of this building is that it has remained intact on its orginal site in the midst of all the development buzzing about around it?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:51 pm

who is it fondly held by?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 pm

can we have it inside the terminal; it would be so wierd in an entertaining way!
notjim

Postby GrahamH » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:22 pm

...so at least if we can't have 'landmark' architecture, we can do eh, 'unusual'.

I thought everyone knew of this house Paul - certainly well-liked by family and people I know.
Clearly you never watched the Toy Show - it was the highlight of the evening every year, still they stopped doing those Christmas lights VTs that is :(

Makes for an interesting feature in the grounds too - brings home to you how the whole complex was nothing but fields not too long ago.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:23 pm

I know the house - doesnt mean that it is fondly held - I think you assume too much of the airport users
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 pm

Maybe...

Looking at the DAA press release, the new terminal is pictured as sited just to the left of the house in the picture above, but it expands way out beyond its main facade, essentially blocking it off.
At least it's not sited in the middle of the proposed building - maybe they can cut a chunk out of the corner to put it crudely.

Saying that, it's also possible the renderings do not highlight the reality that the new terminal will in fact be larger than that pictured, and that it was curtailed to the boundary of the house for the press conference, lest there be any hullabaloo generated by the house's very existance being wiped from the maps...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby paul lite » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:59 pm

[quote="Graham Hickey"] we just have to live with that. QUOTE]

We all have to live with and put up with too much in this country as it is. There seems to be too many excuses. We can't have that because... and so on. It is so unfair.
paul lite

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland