dublin airport terminal

Does the architectural quality appear low?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 43

Re: Quality of proposed architecture at Dublin Airport

Postby cubix » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:04 pm

hobart??what sort of comparison is that,personally I dont think its too bad,this is Ireland after all,it was never gonna be truly spectacular an an architectural masterpiece.Only question now is how long construction will take.
cubix

Postby JoePublic » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:13 pm

cubix wrote:hobart??what sort of comparison is that

Just a little dig at the Tasmanian original poster cubix.
JoePublic

Postby missarchi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:00 pm

beef or chicken hugo???

average joe this link is for you:confused:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/innusa/tags/unionstation/

europe and words capital city !!!! not a proxy state like the isle of man Tasmania
where they ship all the criminals from the uk im sure chopper likes that airport ;)

one of the buildings looks decent enough

but some of the images are worrying a 3rd architecture student could do 10 times better
or a 2nd year technician : ) I know 5 people in my second year class that did better airports than 2 of these terminals

Trust me I am a professional!!!

go figure...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Blisterman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 pm

I don't know why they made it so hard to look out of the new walkway.

I would have loved to be able to look out at the old terminal building through big plate glass windows.

As it is now, you can barely see out at all.
Blisterman

Postby henno » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:32 pm

snorefest
henno

Postby fergalr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Blisterman wrote:I don't know why they made it so hard to look out of the new walkway.

I would have loved to be able to look out at the old terminal building through big plate glass windows.

As it is now, you can barely see out at all.

It beggars belief. That strip of plastic or whatever it is has been placed precisely at eye level. It's as if the position is on purpose. I was on the hike recently to the new gates - which are very nice - and it is unbelievable that it's accidental.
fergalr

Postby darkman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Is it poor acrchitecture? - probrably but not exactly bad by any means.

Is it better then 98% of other European Airports? - definately a different league tbh. Much better.
darkman

Postby Ciaran » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm

I like it, but will it ever be built?
Ciaran

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:49 pm

T2 is under construction Ciaran & Pier D is pretty much complete.

Its off the shelf stuff, could be anywhere really and bears no relation to the city or country it acts as a gateway to. Having said that, it'll do & given the urgency with which this piece of infrastructure is required, its a reasonable enough offering from the DAA.
Peter Fitz

Re: dublin airport terminal

Postby Ciaran » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Peter,

I guess I'll see some of it when I come through this summer.
Ciaran

Postby constat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:03 am

Slight bifurcation on current theme :
With the current expansion of the airport (New Terminal & 2nd runway perhaps), anyone out there know if the current control tower will be high enough to sufficiently cover the movement of aircraft and diverse vehicles on the tarmac, or would a taller structure be necessary ?
constat

Postby missarchi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Ive been to the madrid airport a few times and it rocks :)
mable floors extending to the train link to...

http://www.hughpearman.com/2008/03.html

whats wrong this explains it all@
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:07 am

design and build...
rogers only did the concept and didn't carry through i wonder why?
can you see any link between t2 and t5 its just a number?
We cannot be for sure until the thing is built but at this stage one can only wonder....

what is the link between these two pictures??? wheres wally and jane???? second picture go to the right who every finds them first gets a mars bar!!!! authority and partnership hope the roof is smooth

http://www.partnerships.vic.gov.au/CA25708500035EB6/WebObj/DSC_1415DTF/$File/DSC_1415DTF.jpg
http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/Checkin_Area.jpg

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/heathrow5/index.html#heathrow59
Attachments
is there a link.jpg
is there a link.jpg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
missarchi
Old Master

Postby darkman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 pm

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/new_hotel.jpg

New €130M Hotel and Car Park Planned for Dublin Airport
Up to 900 jobs could be created at Dublin Airport with the planned €130m development of a four star hotel and multi-storey car park linked directly to the airport’s new passenger terminal T2.

About 550 jobs will be created during the construction phase of the project and when opened, the new hotel is expected to employ about 350 staff.

Plans for the new hotel, which will have up to 470 bedrooms, and the linked multi-storey car park with up to 2,900 spaces, have been submitted by the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) to An Bord Pleanála in recent weeks. The project will be developed in conjunction with Northern Ireland property developer and design and build contractor McAleer & Rushe.

The DAA will own the car park while the hotel, which will operate under InterContinental Hotel’s Crowne Plaza brand, will be owned by Irish hotel operator Tifco. Funding for the project will come from the DAA and its joint venture partners.

Subject to planning, the new 11-storey Crowne Plaza hotel will have a floor area of 28,000 sq metres. In addition to up to 470 bedrooms, it will contain associated business facilities, bars, restaurant, meeting rooms and a state-of-the-art fitness centre.

The spaces in the new multi-storey car park will be divided between short-term public parking, car hire, hotel customers and service vehicles. The new hotel and car park will open in 2010, with the first 750 spaces of the car park operational by April of that year to coincide with the opening of Terminal 2.

The hotel and multi-storey car park will connect directly with T2 and will be located close to the existing passenger terminal. The hotel will also be situated beside the proposed Metro station at Dublin Airport.

“This development will greatly enhance customer choice and convenience for airport users,” said DAA Commercial Director Jack MacGowan. “A terminal-linked hotel with meeting rooms will be particularly beneficial for business travellers,” Mr MacGowan added.

As is now required under planning legislation, the DAA has recently written to An Bord Pleanála to ascertain whether the planned project should be considered as Strategic Infrastructure under the 2006 Act. Depending on that decision, planning permission for the development will be sought from either An Bord Pleanála or from Fingal County Council, which is the local planning authority.

Co Tyrone based McAleer & Rushe is one of Northern Ireland’s largest commercial property companies and contractors. Over the past decade it has built 40 hotels with a total of 6,500 bedrooms.

Tifco is an Irish company that owns and manages Clontarf Castle Hotel, and the Crowne Plaza and Express By Holiday Inn brands in Ireland. It owns four hotels in Ireland and one in Germany and has two further properties under construction.

Crowne Plaza has almost 300 hotels worldwide and has properties in 51 countries. It operates its brands in Ireland through Tifco. Crowne Plaza has hotels in Dublin and Dundalk with a third due to open in Blanchardstown this summer.
darkman

Postby jimg » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:38 am

Could you explain why is this news or news worthy?

I don't see any reason to use this forum to distribute gushing PR releases.

A generic soulless business park style airport hotel and a multi-story car park?

The Strategic Infrastructure Act. Give me a break.
jimg

Postby darkman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:51 am

jimg wrote:Could you explain why is this news or news worthy?

A generic soulless business park style airport hotel and a multi-story car park?

WTF!? Dont get in my face mate. Ive posted an article from the DAA website. I dont see anything wrong with that tbh. If you do - take it up with me, no one else. There is a PM facility. Of course you are probrably too cowardly to do that.
darkman

Postby johnglas » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am

Darkman: grow up - criticism should be answered with an argument - what age are you - 13 1/2?
johnglas

Postby alonso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:46 pm

jimg wrote:Could you explain why is this news or news worthy?

It's a news item relating to a proposed development at the Airport on a forum about planning and architecture on a thread entitled "Dublin Airport Terminal" - basic stuff, although Darkman you should chillax there a bit
alonso

Postby darkman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Sorry - was a bit OTT. My argument would be as above. It is entirely relevant to post articles on this topic relating to Aiport development. Unfortunately for Jim these come mostly from the DAA website - does that make me a PR consultant? Im not a great fan of the DAA let me tell you..........
darkman

Postby jimg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:23 am

Darkman, sorry if the comment seemed personal - it wasn't my intention. While I find cut n' paste press releases unaccompanied by comment or opinion in threads here slightly irritating, I woudl normally have passed on commenting to that effect. What pushed me over the edge was the suggestion in the piece that the Strategic Infrastructure Act might be appropriate for something like this. A section of motorway or railway, a power station or sewage treatment pipeline or a port development - maybe - but an airport hotel?
jimg

Postby jdivision » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:39 am

jimg. your comment was way out of line. Information dissemination is something this forum needs in order to contribute and encourage valid criticism. Until such stuff is posted comment cannot be passed. Darkman put it in quotation marks for a reason ie, to show it wasn't coming from him.
darkman, to me no need to apologise. I think johnglas's commen is not warranted. Others may disagree obviously but as far as I'm concerned you did what 95 per cent of posters would do when they're not involved
jdivision

Postby missarchi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 am

does anyone know the specification of the luggage handling system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxdG2FQoLs
missarchi
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:14 pm

jdivision: unwarranted? Not at the time, but that time is well past and the blog has moved on.
johnglas

Postby darkman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:13 am

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/media-centre/presentations-speeches/AGM140408.pdf
(pdf)

DAA presentation to press on current developments. I have to say - whilst I hated Aer Rianta with a passion - the drive and determination to press ahead quickly with all the nessacary upgrades is impressive by this country's standards. The only criticism I can think of atm is probrably that they should press ahead with plans for a third terminal even if it has to be built by the private sector. Nice terminal T2 but competition is ultimately what is needed at DA.
darkman

Postby EIA340600 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Slight bifurcation on current theme :
With the current expansion of the airport (New Terminal & 2nd runway perhaps), anyone out there know if the current control tower will be high enough to sufficiently cover the movement of aircraft and diverse vehicles on the tarmac, or would a taller structure be necessary ?

Yup they will need a new control tower.Rumour has it that it is to be 80m high.
EIA340600

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland