Ugly as Jervis?

Ugly as Jervis?

Postby TS Ó Roduibh » Thu Jun 24, 1999 11:21 am

For all the raised level of awareness about architectural value and urban environments in recent years how is it possible that the bale-of-bricks that is the Jervis shopping centre was allowed. Its sheer bulk and height would alone be cause for anxiety at the planning stage while the non-descript, and edge-of-motorway, ugly 'design' should have prevented its receipt of planning approval. Why is it not listed as one of the ugliest buildings for the vote page? For its ugliness, size, location and recent construction it surely deserves to be shortlisted.
TS Ó Roduibh

Postby Cian » Sat Jun 26, 1999 2:05 pm

I disagree! Have you ever even been in the Jervis Centre? Its quite an excellent piece of architecture both inside and out, in my opinion. While the car-park may be a bit bulky, its certainly not as bad as any other multi-storeys in Dublin. I can accept that some people might think that the Centre is not the best modern building in Dublin, but it is certainly sympathetic to its dreadful surroundings and I don't think it's in any way ugly.
Cian

Postby J Lobb » Sat Jun 26, 1999 4:42 pm

PoMo trash. It provides the most compelling argument for high-rise in Dublin - tall buildings all around might hide its bulk. The view across the River from Dame Street (yes, there is one) has changed forever.
J Lobb

Re: Ugly as Jervis?

Postby archipimp » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:12 pm

i like the dome on top it works well and that front is good,the rest is not great but its no-where near the worst thing out there(irish life mall)
archipimp

Re: Ugly as Jervis?

Postby Satrastar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Jervis SC is hideous.

Even as a shopping centre it is already dated and grotesque.

The multi-storey car park is especially offensive and should never have been allowed.

Dublin's skyline has been assaulted by so many of these recessed extra floors on top, such as the Irish Times building, they cannot be allowed to get away with it. It looks worse then if the upper floors were not recessed.

Did the hospital have any interesting interiors? Does anybody have any photographs? Was was the building to the south (to the right as you are looking at the main facade) like?

So many atrocities have happened in Dublin in recent years, the Westin Hotel being another example.

There are a number of opportunities now to reclaim some of Dublin
> Persuade SIPTU to build their new Liberty hall somewhere in the docklands so that the current liberty hall could be demolished and replaced with something low rise - a new abbey?
> Hawkins House could be demolised
>O'Connell Bridge House demolished

Totally unrealistic, but think of the possibilities!

PS what is happening with the Clarence hotel?
Satrastar

Return to Ireland