what's going up in Cobh

Re: Cork Harbour

Postby jungle » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 pm

[quote="kite"]:o deja vu...we have the same problem in the city in that the city of culture directors 2005 live in]

I'm lost here. I'll grant that Inniscarra is a fair way out and Baldoyle is clearly miles away, but Blackrock and Friar's Wall are all part of the city.

Victoria Mills lie within the constituency where Deirdre Clune lives and will be standing in the next election. What level of local person is required?
jungle

Re: Cork Harbour

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm

That bit of Cobh always looks nice. I do think that the Marina plans (if they ever go ahead) will add to it even more.

Yeah those new apartments are a joke. They replaced the old run down cinema that had been closed for 20 years, if I recall correctly.

I would beg them though to stop the atrotious development of estates in the back of Cobh. Rushbrooke has been DESTROYED, and the area around Ticknock is being ruined. Crappy, crappy planning.

And if memory serves me correctly, they've got 93 acres rezoned for more houses.

They're also planning MASSIVE development of new estates around Ballymore in the next few years - hundreds of houses. The entire community was up in arms about it, Cllr John Mulvihill was at the meeting and was a hopeless sack of shit. And rude too. He more or less told people he was washing his hands of the whole affair and that the houses would be built, like it or not.

So, people, if you want to see Cobh, see it now, because its started to go downhill, and it aint gonna stop.
THE_Chris

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby samuel j » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Can recall something fishy too in Cobh about planning for Lidl or Aldi being up in the air due to an objector
close by ...... this is where the new supervalu is...... I wonder......
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:48 pm

I heard Lidl AND Aldi both put in planning, on two sites just north of Super Valu. One was refused, one outline granted. Not sure which got it, And I'd also heard rumours that Mr Miskella was thinking of selling Supervalu to Tesco, but thats just rumour.
THE_Chris

Postby kite » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:30 pm

samuel j wrote:Can recall something fishy too in Cobh about planning for Lidl or Aldi being up in the air due to an objector
close by ...... this is where the new supervalu is...... I wonder......

supervalu..Musgraves...major food giant...:eek: ??
kite

Postby samuel j » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:14 am

kite wrote::mad: It looks almost certain that Lidl are in trouble with their proposal to locate in Churchfield.
Intense lobbying on behalf of a major food giant in Ireland (Cork) has it seems “paid” off in that tonight’s Planning Committee meeting in City Hall saw a majority of Councillors vote against the rezoning needed.
If the vote is put before a full CCC meeting next Monday night ???? :rolleyes:

Amazing what a bit of lobbying can do........

wonder how cobh will get on down the line.... meanwhile half of cobh heads to Lidl in Midleton to spend their hard earned cash......
samuel j

Postby kite » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:18 am

samuel j wrote:Amazing what a bit of lobbying can do........

wonder how cobh will get on down the line.... meanwhile half of cobh heads to Lidl in Midleton to spend their hard earned cash......

:D Cash (money) is king, always has, and always will be.
kite

Postby samuel j » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 am

And a little bit of Carry........
samuel j

Cobh Thread

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:36 pm

/
THE_Chris

Re: what's going up in Cobh

Postby samuel j » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Just in case anyone misses it, some interesting news on St. Colmans Cobh....
Refer to thread : reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches for further updates on this case

"Originally Posted by descamps
Descamps was in Cork to-day and quite unexpectedly ran into a group of clergy from the diocese of Cloyne who were having a liturgy meeting with Fr. Danny Murphy, Fr. Sean Terry, Fr. Denis Reidy and architect Alex White. Bishop Magee was also there and spoke to the group.

He told them that he had been to Rome and had spoken to the Pope. He said that he had shown a new set of plans and photographs for Cobh Cathedral to the Pope. He insinuated that the Pope told him to go ahead with them - though he allowed himself sufficient room to back out of this should awkward questions be asked at a later date (Readers will remember that at the Midleton hearing he was badly caught telling fibbs on a similar heading).

More interestingly, he said that when he had spoken to the Local Planning Authority (Cobh Town Council) and he was given to understand that they would be "cooperative" and try to help in any way possible with whatever he might want to do. They told him to bring back a new set of plans to them, he said.

The driving force in this initiative seems to be Fr. Denny Reidy of Carrigtwohill. Curiously, there was no sign of Tom Cavanagh from Fermoy who was a staunch supporter of the last project.

The bold bishop announced that he was going ahead with another reordering scheme to gut the interior of Cobh Cathedral no matter what the people of Cobh or the diocese of Cloyne think.

Has the FOSCC heard of this?"
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:17 am

We shall all be keeping a very close eye on Cobh Urban District Council from now on!!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:42 pm

kite wrote::confused: With regard to the planning process in Cork, does anyone share (or care about) my concerns that some planning applications that have gone through the process including the appeals board only to come back so many times for changes to the original application (some as many as 20-30 changes per application) that people cannot figure out what is going on?
This undermines genuine planning applications in Cork.

If I can be so bold as to quote Kite as above from another thread.
I have seen this process time and time again in Cobh. Know of one development that had so many amendments it was next to impossible to figure out what was the final version. Know one developer who use dthis tactic and got away with many changes that no poor citzen could have kept up with, unless he/she sat for a day each week in the udc and compared drawing by drawing. Makes it impossible for anyone without professional help to mount any decent objection.
and it still goes on...... a quick browse of current plans and you will developers at it again and again.
I don't know a solution expect some format of very clear logging in a single sheet viewable in the planning file and/or clear stamping of superceeded drawings as nul and void.
samuel j

Postby kite » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:44 pm

samuel j wrote:If I can be so bold as to quote Kite as above from another thread.
I have seen this process time and time again in Cobh. Know of one development that had so many amendments it was next to impossible to figure out what was the final version. Know one developer who use dthis tactic and got away with many changes that no poor citzen could have kept up with, unless he/she sat for a day each week in the udc and compared drawing by drawing. Makes it impossible for anyone without professional help to mount any decent objection.
and it still goes on...... a quick browse of current plans and you will developers at it again and again.
I don't know a solution expect some format of very clear logging in a single sheet viewable in the planning file and/or clear stamping of superceeded drawings as nul and void.

;) Would you think that a set charge of say 250,000 – 500,000 euro per change of application for what Planning Departments class as large developments would concentrate the minds of engineers and architects to get it right first time out?
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 am

samuel j wrote:....logging in a single sheet viewable in the planning file and/or clear stamping of superceeded drawings as nul and void.

My Sam, but you are in an optimistic mood this evening. Do you not know that the purchase of a Null and Void stamp will cause a major crisis in the Cobh Urban District Council.....someone will have to get off his b.o.t. tom and go out and buy it. How could you possibly expect that level of public service from Cobh Urban District Council?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:54 am

[quote="kite"]]
Perhaps yes, or some clear sliding scale on initial project might do it on change/alterations made on the same site.
Maybe even if it was based on the actual land or site involved, just to pin it down.

I don't thini it would still not catch the smaller developer whose sole purpose is to confuse all so he/she gets what they want.... have seen this approach work very well for cunning developers. This would apply to the serial 'do it up' and move on type of cowboy who will blatantly do this to get it done.

Anther snag for any objector is that is seems to be up to him/her to raise the question of additional information as find in numerous cases where its up to the Joe Public to raise questions and all planners do is they ask developer for it.

anyone come across this.... its like if you didn't ask no one would have....

also find that despite objections lodged, very often planning it still given and all the objector gets back is a form telling him/her how to
lodge an objection with ABP. It reeks of pass the buck.....
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:02 am

Praxiteles wrote:My Sam, but you are in an optimistic mood this evening. Do you not know that the purchase of a Null and Void stamp will cause a major crisis in the Cobh Urban District Council.....someone will have to get off his b.o.t. tom and go out and buy it. How could you possibly expect that level of public service from Cobh Urban District Council?

Must be getting to close to Christmas....

Seriously though, for someone to come off the street to see the plans of some monstrosity being built next is a nightmare. Know 90% wll come out worse than they went in and probably missed the amended drawings that would have shown them it is a missle silo.....

In reality it means that Joe Public has little or no choice but to seek profesional help, which of course advisable but this costs, so many an objector will backdown/drop out.
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:56 pm

The developments in cobh with Rushbrooke above the Dockyard and Ballynoe between Ferry and downriver.
As you can see many cleared areas ready for further phases. All photos compliments for Alan taken from Monkstown and Glenbrook
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:00 am

Shameful, utterly shameful. They've ruined that side of Cobh completly.

As far as I know, the story with the 3 storey ones is like this -

Apparently, the developer wanted to put more houses on the site by increasing their density. He was refused this, but managed to get the same number of appartments in by adding an extra storey on top of them.
THE_Chris

Postby samuel j » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:18 am

THE_Chris wrote:Shameful, utterly shameful. They've ruined that side of Cobh completly.

Apparently, the developer wanted to put more houses on the site by increasing their density. He was refused this, but managed to get the same number of appartments in by adding an extra storey on top of them.

did you notice the big cleared area between ballynoe flemings developments and above the dockyard copperfields again flemings. Think this cleared bit in CCC area as CCC/UDC border somewhere around here.
won't be long before this gap fills in....
then Behind Copperfields (new large er house above dockyard), planning is in old nuns field for another 60 or so houses....

would not surprise me if we later see more in Ballynoe developments in the remaing field sjust above the ferry pier. you can see them below
aobve old Maritem sheds . By the way there are due to be knock soon and apartments going in.... saw soil test rig in there..
samuel j

Postby kite » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 am

THE_Chris wrote:Shameful, utterly shameful. They've ruined that side of Cobh completly.

Now now The_Chris, you should know the rules i.e. the thirty year one where we are not allowed to discuss Ansbacher accounts, the bail out of Bewley’s Café, the droping of AIB loans etc. etc. until its too late or until these dudes are too old to receive a fair trail !!
;) Great news for city and county managers, planners etc??
kite

Postby samuel j » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:29 am

some close-ups
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:58 am

And probably on a 2nd or 3rd amendment of drawings and serial planning apps, so no one would spot or object as we were discussing earlier on this thread.
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:38 pm

I too would like to extend to Mr. Cacciotti the warmest welcome to Cobh and I wish him the very best in his new position. With the splendid Victorian canvas of Cobh now in his portfolio, I sincerely hope he is given the time and resources to give this canvas the attention it so bady deserves. I genuinely look forward to this expertise in this area bringing about a fresh methodology to planning and planning enforecment in Cobh and that we have seen the last of some of the planning travesties we have to live with (see below).

Once again wishest you the best and welcome to the Great Island.
samuel j

Postby kite » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:15 pm

samuel j wrote:I too would like to extend to Mr. Cacciotti the warmest welcome to Cobh and I wish him the very best in his new position. With the splendid Victorian canvas of Cobh now in his portfolio, I sincerely hope he is given the time and resources to give this canvas the attention it so bady deserves. I genuinely look forward to this expertise in this area bringing about a fresh methodology to planning and planning enforecment in Cobh and that we have seen the last of some of the planning travesties we have to live with (see below).

Once again wishest you the best and welcome to the Great Island.

:cool: Agreed, some Italian flair should shake the cobwebs out of the dinosaurs in the planning section.
I was going to suggest that he would embarrass the dinosaurs but I feel they have embarrassed themselves to the limit with their carry on in Cobh.
kite

Postby samuel j » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

This is the plan in for the old maritem sheds just next to the Cross River Ferry slipway on the Cobh side

File Number: 059006
Local Authority: Cork County Council
Date Received: 06/12/2005
Type: PERMISSION
Submissions By: n/a.
Due Date: 05/07/2006
Decision: CONDITIONAL
Decision Date (MO): 05/07/2006
Application Status: APPEALED
Grant Date: n/a
Initial FI Request: 07/02/2006
Initial FI Received: 22/12/2005
Number of Appeals: 1

Applicant Name: Bob O'Leary
Correspondence Address: C/o Richard Rainey Architects
Granary Studios
The Glen
Kinsale, Co. Cork
Development Description: Demolition of 5 no. sheds/warehouses, construction of 2 no. apartment blocks comprising of 72 no. apartments (Block A consisting of 44 no. apartments and Block B consisting of 28 no. apartments), underground car parking and associated site works
Development Address: Ballynoe
Cobh
samuel j

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland