Grafton Street, Dublin

Re: Grafton Street, Dublin

Postby Alek Smart » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 pm

StephenC wrote:You're right of course...but its just a comment. I dont think anyone is suggesting that an 'architectural crime' has been committed. But I suppose its relevant to the wider issue of good shopfront design - what works and what doesnt and why.

And Fair Comment too Stephen.

The approach to maintaining or fostering our Cityscape should be subject to this form of robust comment....if only to prevent a recurrence of this ......

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 94744.html

The sort of wild-eyed drooling Mooh-Lah centred stuff which infects far too much of Dubln City's existence :crazy:
Alek Smart

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 pm

It's pretty clear now that the Irish & Portuguese granite types do not work together, they neither blend nor contrast sufficiently (I am repeating myself here, but the job is turning out to be a real disappointment).

Even when viewed in pristine condition, the clash of the two is clear.

The street furniture is dreadful homogeneous catelogue tat, much of it already marked. The chosen colour however isn't bad at least. You wouldn't hold out much hope for the light fittings.

Really, the Portuguese granite has to go, very nice stuff in it's own right, but the wrong choice for Grafton Street.
Peter Fitz

Postby StephenC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:57 pm

What are the chances of that!

A very disappointing scheme.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Zero - still has to be said though!
Peter Fitz

Postby GrahamH » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm

I despair at what’s happening on Grafton Street. Much public and media comment – the majority even – is unfair and understandably misguided as regards the cleanliness of the paving. There is no question that it looks shocking in its current raw state, but we must hold our breath and await the outcome of the abrasive cleaning and sealing later in the year (though in saying this, having to ‘seal’ a natural product is somewhat unsettling and sounds distinctly high maintenance going forward).

What there is no escaping from is the clash of the stones (there’s a film title in that), which as Peter describes, is simply ham-fisted and visually discordant. Both the colours and the textures are chaotic – chalk and cheese – and should never have been paired in the way they have, which is a shame, as they’re both distinguished in their own right. The slab sizes are also finicky, lacking in contextual understanding. The clunky ‘wayfinding strip’ just adds to the mess, and as for the trashy funerary cobbles lining the building line! What the heck?! Even the craft isn't there: the paving has been laid in awkward linear sections in attemping to respond to the curve of the street, rather than gracefully flowing with it. It looks woeful when the street is lightly populated.

The green bollards – and I concur the colour almost hits the distinguished mark – were chipping within days of installation, with the more usual battleship grey revealed from underneath. I suspect these were sprayed green as a custom job, but that as catalogue items they were never meant to be sprayed. As for the ‘design’, well, it’s not a design. There is no design. They’re a proprietary, cartoonish insult to the dignity of a major civic thoroughfare. I shudder to think what lighting is being compiled.

It’s all such a mess and it’s just not good enough. Genuinely, one desperately would like to have faith in the in-house expertise of the municipal authority to promote, demonstrate and all but curate civic design standards in the city, but dammit it just doesn't seem to be there. It’s a crying shame.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby mcdanish » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:28 pm

The repaving of Grafton Street leaves me almost distraught when I look at it. The "wayfinding strip" is an absolute abomination.Is it even necessary? The new bollards and bins represent the blandness, lack of appreciation and taste that is currently manifesting as the work progresses. The failure to use recesses to disguise the sporadic number of telecom and sewerage caps is again appalling. Why has the opportunity to provide high class paving suited to Grafton Street been so badly missed and ultimately who is responsible? Also why can't they start the cleaning and sealing now seen as its so blooming obvious its needed as its filthy.
mcdanish

Postby StephenC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:23 pm

StephenC
Old Master

Postby gunter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:49 pm

That was an ironing board on a stiletto, right!

The thing that gets me about the paving is that they got it right [to my eye anyway] on Mary Street, several years ago. That short little stretch on the north side of the church was well executed and moderately subtle in its differential between road and path, why could they not just stick with that.

It's not so much that the he 'path' areas on Grafton Street are the wrong colour, or the unit size is unnecessarily miserable, it's that they're laid the wrong way.

And then there's that dodgy tiled pattern, square area, at the junctions!

Would we really not have got that we've reached a junction with a side street without this helpful change in paving pattern? . . . maybe by the fact that there are gaps in the buildings?
gunter
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland