Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby opus » Sat May 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Took a few pics of the current state of the tower last week.

opus

Postby malec » Sun May 27, 2007 10:20 am

Have lots of pictures from yesterday, will post them soon.
malec

Postby darkman » Sun May 27, 2007 4:57 pm

For a city the size of Cork that looks quite impressive. They dont seem to be working particulaly fast on it though. It will be interesting to see what the facade looks like when its finished. If its majority glass that tends to give the illusion of extra height. Hope the facade is nice.
darkman

Postby Spinal Tap » Mon May 28, 2007 7:42 am

darkman wrote:For a city the size of Cork that looks quite impressive. They dont seem to be working particulaly fast on it though. It will be interesting to see what the facade looks like when its finished. If its majority glass that tends to give the illusion of extra height. Hope the facade is nice.

"Fast on it enough" ?

Its literally flyimg up !

They have commenced the curtain walling and the other blocks are coming up at the base.

It started after Cornmarket St. shopping centre and probably be finished before it !
Spinal Tap

Postby mickeydocs » Mon May 28, 2007 9:03 am

Spinal Tap wrote:"Fast on it enough" ?

Its literally flyimg up !

They have commenced the curtain walling and the other blocks are coming up at the base.

It started after Cornmarket St. shopping centre and probably be finished before it !

I wouldn't even reply to Darkman, he's obviously here to try and annoy us... as he lives in the city that even rivals Tokyo for population and level of cultural attainment, oh no I just checked, he only lives in that shithole up the road where our government is based.
mickeydocs

Postby darkman » Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 pm

How is saying that is 'impressive for a city the size of Cork' annoying to you? Is that not true..........perhaps you would prefer me to say that the town should have 30 storey tower blocks and ten lane highways and a couple of segregated metro systems:rolleyes:
darkman

Postby Aidan » Mon May 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Don't be silly Darkman.

Why would the Cork Metro lines be segregated? They should all join up, obviously! :D
Aidan

Postby who_me » Mon May 28, 2007 4:15 pm

There is (or at least, was) a great view of the 'Northern Ridge' as you come in along the link road into the city centre, does anyone know if either the tower or the main block will obscure this?
who_me

Postby malec » Mon May 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Guys calm down, I really doubt darkman meant to offend anybody by saying it's not going up that fast. To be honest it seems fast because when is the last time a tower this size was built in Cork? (never). But there are certainly towers around the world which go up waaaay faster than this.

Anyway, here are some pictures from yesterday, excuse the dullness of them.

Image Image Image Image Image

malec

Postby malec » Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 pm

malec

Postby malec » Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 pm

Image Image Image Image
malec

Postby darkman » Mon May 28, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks for the pics. Excellent. In the context of Cork being built on a small scale this must look very big indeed. I think its a very good project and at least there is some ambition in it. Like I say it depends on the facade though as to how it will really look. Personally id prefer to see a glass facade.
darkman

Postby mickeydocs » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 pm

darkman wrote:Thanks for the pics. Excellent. In the context of Cork being built on a small scale this must look very big indeed. I think its a very good project and at least there is some ambition in it. Like I say it depends on the facade though as to how it will really look. Personally id prefer to see a glass facade.

Rather than the unambitious endless nameless that passes in Dublin.
mickeydocs

Postby darkman » Tue May 29, 2007 12:15 am

mickeydocs wrote:Rather than the unambitious endless nameless that passes in Dublin.

You need to lose the chip on your shoulder I think. I never mentioned Dublin for the record.
darkman

Postby tfarmer » Tue May 29, 2007 1:14 am

people are getting a little over excited about what is essentially an medium to average sized tower, lets be honest. I laugh when i hear locals in my area saying 'gezzz did you see the new skyscraper going up down the whole tisss hugeee'....
tfarmer

Postby tfarmer » Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 am

also gotta laugh at the whole ' a very stylish affair' sign you'd think they were advertising clothes...lmao
tfarmer

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue May 29, 2007 7:36 am

who_me wrote:There is (or at least, was) a great view of the 'Northern Ridge' as you come in along the link road into the city centre, does anyone know if either the tower or the main block will obscure this?

The tower will have clear planar glazing from floors 10 to 17 throughout so that motorists on the South Link can view the North Ridge.Remember everyone in Cork is entitled to an uninterrupted view of St.Finbarrs Cathedral and Shandon.
Spinal Tap

Postby Angry Rebel » Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 am

It would seem they are also entitled to a full voyuers view of whoever lives in the apartments as well!
Angry Rebel

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue May 29, 2007 2:39 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:It would seem they are also entitled to a full voyuers view of whoever lives in the apartments as well!

Hopefully.

Will the be allowed to hang washing out the windows ?
Spinal Tap

Postby mickeydocs » Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 pm

darkman wrote:You need to lose the chip on your shoulder I think. I never mentioned Dublin for the record.

No chip on my shoulder... I lived in Dublin long enough to know what a crap city it is... a glorified city with an awful quality of life - full of arrogant toss pots like you.
mickeydocs

Postby darkman » Tue May 29, 2007 4:01 pm

mickeydocs wrote:No chip on my shoulder... I lived in Dublin long enough to know what a crap city it is... a glorified city with an awful quality of life - full of arrogant toss pots like you.

Arrogant? Me thinks your a troll. Give up the trolling - its sad...

Oh and yes you have a very big chip on your shoulder. Your in denial....
darkman

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue May 29, 2007 4:14 pm

darkman wrote:Arrogant? Me thinks your a troll. Give up the trolling - its sad...

Oh and yes you have a very big chip on your shoulder. Your in denial....

Lads.

This is juvenile.The argument of who has the "bestest" city is stupid.

As a Dub who is living in Cork for 4 years I would'nt dream of moving back (or be able to afford probably)
Living in Cork is like a working holiday,West Cork on your doorstep,Kerry and the coast/harbour nearby always.
Kinsale 25mins away.Cork feels right for me right now and if there is some gis/match on just get the train or Ryanair.I love Dublin but it has all the hassles and very few of the conveniences of a big city.

Not for me.
Spinal Tap

Postby damnedarchitect » Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm

There is an argument Cork people use. It is somewhat like the one used by creationists against evolution.

It goes a little like this:

Dublin is crap, therefore by default Cork is great. QED.

No joy folks, I'm afraid.
damnedarchitect

Postby darkman » Tue May 29, 2007 4:23 pm

I dont know why one particular contributer is so obsessed with bringing Dublin into a thread about Cork. The two are not even comparable:confused: Comparing Cork with Cardiff or Edinburgh might be more appropriate as its a similar size.
darkman

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm

damnedarchitect wrote:There is an argument Cork people use. It is somewhat like the one used by creationists against evolution.

It goes a little like this:

Dublin is crap, therefore by default Cork is great. QED.

No joy folks, I'm afraid.

Exactly a voice of reason at last.

Maybe the are both Crap and Waterford is great !:D
Spinal Tap

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland