Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby opus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:42 pm

I like the look of it as well, looking forward to the completion but think that's in '08 sometime so a long way to go yet.
opus

Postby PVC King » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:08 pm

A concrete shaft

some people are obviously very easily pleased
PVC King

Postby goldiefish » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:31 am

PVC King wrote:A concrete shaft

Same can be said for a big spike.

At least the shaft has a function.
goldiefish

Postby PVC King » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:20 am

Meow

You do no service to this building or taller buildings in general by slagging a certain steel rod.

Let's face it the building in question will never look worse than it does now. I don't know Cork well enough to comment on the site suitabily but when the resident oil man expresses concern, that registers for me.
PVC King

Postby kite » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 am

PVC King wrote:A concrete shaft

Well said PVC King, I was itching to make a comment on the utterly embarrassing way that some people are holding 18 floors of poured concrete as a milestone of World construction without waiting to see the final outcome. Posting anything but “The King is great long live the King” seems to bring out a defensive attitude with some posters, possibly the same people that refuse to hear a bad word said about one of the biggest planning disasters in Ireland, Victoria Mills. :o
kite

Postby vkid » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:33 pm

ake wrote:Image

Oh my God tell me they are not going to put that illuminous green cheap plastic shite all the way up the tower! Why is that horrible crap popping up all over the place?! It's the single ugliest building material I have ever seen anywhere in my life. It should be banned. Can we could not afford a nice polished granite or sandstone in this country overflowing with money

Ditto. Thats stuff looks horrific enough at low levels never mind it sticking out of the skyline, and in such quantity. Cant see all that green doing anything for the aesthetics of this building in years to come. IMO if you;re going to build up, you need to select the materials very carefully. That green cladding will not stand the test of time visually imo although never seen it used on a building of that height yet so could be proved wrong. Anywhere it has been used it looks cheap and nasty (its all over Galway and looks horrible). They could have at least used some real copper !
vkid

Postby jdivision » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:49 pm

Given the asking price of the apartments - I've been given indications - they could certainly afford better materials.
jdivision

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby malec » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:01 pm

malec

Postby Pepsi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:36 pm

looks good.
Pepsi

Postby malec » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:33 pm

I've a feeling this tower's going to look much too stumpy.
malec

Postby feen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:53 pm

You are right malec. Seen from clarion it looks a bit stumpy. I would have pushed for an extra 4-5 levels.
A funny thing about this development is the name. The Elysian.:D in Greek mythology The Elysian ..fields were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous:D Funny coincidence.
feen

Postby PTB » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah I thought that the tower would be a lot taller and slender, but once the elevator shaft went up I thought that it looked fairly small. Hopefully the spire will add to its impression of height
PTB

Postby darkman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:20 pm

I think this building is 70 metres tall. Is it?

Anyhow for a small city like Cork to even have that is good in my view. Realistically demand for housing or offices would constrain the asspirations of developers to go taller then this IMO. I just dont think Cork can sustain a few 70 metre buildings never mind taller ones. Anyway you can all be delighted that for the next few months you have the tallest building in the state;)
darkman

Postby phatman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:38 pm

[quote="darkman"]I think this building is 70 metres tall. Is it?

Anyhow for a small city like Cork to even have that is good in my view. Realistically demand for housing or offices would constrain the asspirations of developers to go taller then this IMO. I just dont think Cork can sustain a few 70 metre buildings never mind taller ones. Anyway you can all be delighted that for the next few months you have the tallest building in the state]

We've been delighted for the last 40 years ;)
phatman

Postby darkman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm

[quote="phatman"]We've been delighted for the last 40 years ]

hehe this reminds me of the bitter Texans in America - 'we have the longest roooooad'......Anyway when is the next 120 metre + tower going to be planned to keep up with the real capital?:D ;)

BTW was this building actually planned to be higher at any stage?I agree it looks a bit bulky which will take away a bit from the height asspect. Though hard to say until its finished.
darkman

Postby Leesider » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:37 pm

and we still have the longest building in ireland as well........tis great being from the real capital!!!:p ;)
Leesider

Postby mickeydocs » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:56 pm

[quote="darkman"]hehe this reminds me of the bitter Texans in America - 'we have the longest roooooad'......Anyway when is the next 120 metre + tower going to be planned to keep up with the real capital?:D ;)

What a sad man you are!
mickeydocs

Postby darkman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:20 pm

Dont start getting ratty, Only a joke.
darkman

Postby daniel_7 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:25 pm

owen o callaghan has said recently that he has plans for two towers at mahon point
daniel_7

Postby daniel_7 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:32 pm

[quote="daniel_7"]owen o callaghan has said recently that he has plans for two towers at mahon point one of which will be 32 storys and theres also plans for taller buildings else where in the city and in the docklands!maybe if dublins planners hade found taller buildings a few years ago it might not have become europes finest case of urban sprawl!
daniel_7

Postby who_me » Wed May 16, 2007 1:42 pm

darkman wrote:BTW was this building actually planned to be higher at any stage?I agree it looks a bit bulky which will take away a bit from the height asspect. Though hard to say until its finished.

(Apologies for resurrecting another old thread, but..) I might be wrong, but I was under the impression the top 2 floors were some manner of penthouse, in which case the elevator shaft might not go to the top floor? I.e. it might be a bit taller than the elevator shaft might indicate.
who_me

Postby tfarmer » Thu May 17, 2007 3:28 am

Take that manhatten!.. you got nothing on cork what with its new 70 meter tower
tfarmer

Postby mickeydocs » Thu May 17, 2007 1:27 pm

tfarmer wrote:Take that manhatten!.. you got nothing on cork what with its new 70 meter tower

Mr. tfarmer obviously doesn't know how to use a spell-checker.
mickeydocs

Postby yotty » Fri May 18, 2007 9:35 pm

As a house owner overlooking eglington street tower i can only hope to see more of these developments transforming the urban cork skyline.Bring on manhatton?????
yotty

Postby who_me » Mon May 21, 2007 4:07 pm

yotty wrote:As a house owner overlooking eglington street tower i can only hope to see more of these developments transforming the urban cork skyline.Bring on manhatton?????

I left my sarcasmometer at home, so I don't know if you're serious or not! ;) But, as someone buying an apartment which will be ..err... "underlooking" The Elysian, I think it's a fine building - though I still haven't seen any views of the North/river elevation.

What I'd be less keen on is the 7/8 storey monolith beneath the tower. I thought the compelling argument for taller buildings is building up is better than building out - here it seems to be building up AND out.
who_me

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland