Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:54 pm

materials wise - is this what happens when planners and designers try to attain consensus?
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:55 pm

the winter gardens do look sweet though ;)
d_d_dallas

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:01 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:materials wise - is this what happens when planners and designers try to attain consensus?

Perhaps they went to TileStyle, couldn't decide which cladding to buy and decided to get all of them and put them up on the tower.

It's quite the patch-work.
Cathal Dunne

Postby Leesider » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:26 pm

On one side it looks like one of those rock climbing walls. The glass side doesn't look too bad, but it looks fairly crap from the northside.

And that white thing on top looks like a portacabin. Pity it had potential and looked a lot better in the renders.
Leesider

Postby AndrewP » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:38 pm

[quote="Cathal Dunne"]:confused: Is there an extra-long month ahead that we haven't been informed about?

Maybe there are fewer hours in a Cork day. That would balance thungs out...
AndrewP

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:00 pm

AndrewP wrote:
Cathal Dunne wrote::confused: Is there an extra-long month ahead that we haven't been informed about?

Maybe there are fewer hours in a Cork day. That would balance thungs out...

It might, that'd make sense. It's now 25 days and 18 hours before these babes go to market. What to Archiseekers think will be the response/?They've probably already cut the prices they were going to sell them at. Are they going to sell them all in one go? It'll be an interesting test of the strength of the property market. Perhaps they'll sell out on their launch weekend and herald the return of the boom!
Cathal Dunne

Postby jdivision » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
It might, that'd make sense. It's now 25 days and 18 hours before these babes go to market. What to Archiseekers think will be the response/?They've probably already cut the prices they were going to sell them at. Are they going to sell them all in one go? It'll be an interesting test of the strength of the property market. Perhaps they'll sell out on their launch weekend and herald the return of the boom!

In Dublin there's at least on case of a developer "buying" some of the apartments his company developed. Same might happen there
jdivision

Postby kite » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:
AndrewP wrote:

:confused:Did OFC get the access issues resolved in the High-Court with Howard Holdings?
If not only those with helicopters need apply!

“Court battle over country’s tallest building in Cork city

16 December 2007
By Ian Kehoe and Neil Callanan
Two of the biggest property development companies in the country are embroiled in a multimillion euro High Court battle over the planned tallest building in Ireland.

Cork-based O’Flynn Construction is suing Howard Holdings in a dispute over access to Elysian, a 17-storey tower block being built in Cork’s docklands.

O’Flynn Construction is the developer behind the €150 million tower, which - at 71metres high - will be Ireland’s highest building. The Cork company claims that it agreed with Howard Holdings to buy an adjacent site, which is crucial for access to Elysian. However, a dispute has broken out over the sale.

O’Flynn Construction, headed by Michael O’ Flynn, now wants the High Court to force Howard Holdings to sell the site. The matter is due to return to court in January. Greg Coughlin, the chief executive of Howard Holdings, has filed an affidavit.

Based in Cork, Howard Holdings has projects worth €4 billion under development, including dozens of large developments in Ireland, Britain and continental Europe. It has developed a number of sites close to the Elysian project.

The company recently said it was seeking planning permission for a €250 million mixed-use development in Cork Harbour, which would create up to 1,000 jobs. The development will include shops, homes, offices, hotels and leisure facilities on an eight-acre site at Passage dockyard.

O’Flynn Construct ion bought the Elysian site in 2003 for more than €15 million. As well as the tower, it includes apartments, offices and shops.

O’Flynn Construction was set up by brothers Michael and John O’Flynn in 1978 and now owns property in Ireland, Britain and Germany. Its assets include the Ballincollig shopping centre, EastGate business park - both in Cork - and a stake in Blackrock Land, the property company spun off from Fyffes.”
kite

Postby corkdood » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:29 pm

The countdown clock on the Elysian web site has been reset. (it was due to launch in about ten days) As of today it says 39 days to go. Must have hit a snag or two..........

Posted this on the developments in Cork thread too but maybe its more appropriate here.
corkdood

Postby jdivision » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 pm

kite, I believe the case centres more on the sale of the building between the parties. It would be an additional access point rather than the main one.
jdivision

Postby kite » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 pm

jdivision wrote:kite, I believe the case centres more on the sale of the building between the parties. It would be an additional access point rather than the main one.

Thanks jdivision, i hope you are correct, the phrase "which is crucial for access to Elysian" in the newspaper article above would suggest otherwise.
kite

Postby opus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm

corkdood wrote:The countdown clock on the Elysian web site has been reset. (it was due to launch in about ten days) As of today it says 39 days to go. Must have hit a snag or two..........

Count down clock has disappeared now! Maybe the news about the 5% fall in prices in Cork in the first three months of the year from the daft.ie report frightened them a bit :)
opus

Postby corkdood » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am

Agreed and remember that 5 per cent represents just the fall in asking prices. Closing prices are much lower again which explains the paralysis in the residential market for the last 18 months. Sellers can't accept that they will have to reduce their expectations to cut a deal.

If the Elysian launches and they can't shift many units there will be large amounts of egg on faces and the bank managers will be breathing down their necks. Interesting times ahead!

Maybe the city council will step in and buy the whole building for social/affordable housing
corkdood

Postby Leesider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 pm

Must admit from the southside this tower is actually growing on me but from my vantage point on the northside it is disappointmenting, how come the northside always gets the raw deal! :-)
Leesider

Postby opus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:17 pm

That court case between OFC & Howard Holdings has started according to the Indo, story is here.
opus

Postby jungle » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 am

The case was settled out of court on Friday.

No details of the settlement I'm afraid.
jungle

Postby SoundsDreamy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:28 pm

the county hall has never looked so good when compared to this.
Wilson Architects design another modern day gun tower to mirror the eye sore of a carpark in clon.
SoundsDreamy

Postby SoundsDreamy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

I hear armitage shanks are taking out advertising space on the white bowl atop the elysian.
A very Stylish affair!
SoundsDreamy

Postby who_me » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 pm

I think the white cylinder is actually being either painted or clad at the moment, I don't think it's remaining white. Thank God.

It's funny, but probably the worst part of the building are its two most prominent features, the tower and the 'mini tower' at the North East corner.

The rest of the building isn't bad, at least it's better than I expected. I know people here hate balconies, but on the East and West sides they add a bit of contour and shadow to what would otherwise be very bland elevations. Plus, the South side is much better than I expected. There's a very tall ground floor (retail?) with a large terraced area on top, behind that are a few balconies with what looks to be wood. Not bad at all!
who_me

Postby jungle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 am

It's looking better than I thought it would during construction and while not a stunning building is not terrible either. It certainly doesn't deserve to be compared to the car park in Clon, which between it's form, inappropriateness for the town and prominent location when you arrive there deserves to be in any worst 10 in Ireland list!
jungle

Postby opus » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Interesting thread about the Elysian here....
opus

Postby corkdood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:44 am

Interesting comments on the Elysian on that forum. Its going to be a tall order to sell. Can't see it working as a hotel either.
corkdood

Postby who_me » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Burj Dubai v Cork Towers

:p

Errr... ok. Call it a draw?
who_me

Postby opus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:59 pm

I got a very glossy letter from Sherry Fitz today saying that the official launch would be on the 17th of September. Think like lots of people I'll go along for a look but can't really imagine buying something there. Whatever about the cost of the flats, I'd guess the annual fees will be scary with that big garden to maintain.
opus

Postby who_me » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:54 pm

I received the same letter opus, might go along as well.

Could end up being an archiseek meet-up! :)

By the way, did a 'walk by" the Elysian the other day - I like the wine-coloured tiles on the Northern section of the building. Nice break from the awful gray tower and all the white/cream of the lower building.
who_me

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland