How well do you know Dublin?

Re: How well do you know Dublin?

Postby gunter » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Still can't get any site on Marrowbone Lane to work, I think there are buildings on that Robert Street corner that don't match!

I thought I had it earlier with this site on present day Benburb Street, with the H. Mathew's Pub being the structure in the distance, and the laneway being Hendrick Lane.

It's a south facing terrace and Benburb St. (Barrack St./Tighe St.) was a comparatively wide street for the traffic it supported and the location of the returns on the probable 'Billys' equate with the door locations perfectly. Surviving houses are all three storey, remodelled or rebuilt Billys, and the two storey vernacular is just around the corner from a little cluster of similar houses at Hendrick Place, but the pitch on the pub roof is a couple of degrees too low and the chimney stacks don't match.

I even had it figured that it must be Sunday morning and the pedestrian rush up the lane was to church service at the local Methodist Church on Blackhall Place.

Have to start again!

StephenC wrote:Nerd alert!

:confused:
gunter
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm

I thought it would be handy to put them both here again.

gunter- have you given up on the Benburb Hypothesis? If not, how would you explain the advanced kerb line? Time to dig out Rocque again? I only bought the book today- how's this for a return on my investment!
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby gunter » Tue May 05, 2009 10:12 pm

ctesiphon wrote:Re: Marrowbone Lane . . . . I'm starting to believe we might be onto something.

ctesiphon, I was only half joking about the prevailing winds! I really don't see the reverse image working. It would be a freakish day in Dublin that you'd get a kite to fly towards the south-west, would it not?

ctesiphon wrote:gunter- have you given up on the Benburb Hypothesis? If not, how would you explain the advanced kerb line?

The advanced kerb line is hard to explain, particularly since there's no sign of basements, unless other houses in the terrace, out of view, had basement and front 'areas', or unless it was a very wide street or square, which I imagine is how Newmarket came to be suggested in the first place.

Because of the roof pitch and particularly the non-matching chimney, I think we have to give up on that the Benburb St./Hendrick Lane location, (even though there's even a tiny old rooflight corresponding to the little dormer in the roof valley).

Anyway the shampoo shine on the kid'd hair suggests the southside rather than the northside ;)
gunter
Old Master

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Breaking the rules a little, I'm afraid, can anyone name the architect of this building. Had a look online and couldn't find any information. I can post an untrimmed version of the image and the address, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the thread. So any ideas?

magwea

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 9:35 pm

And just for fun:

A

B

C

D

E

F

G
magwea

Postby DOC » Thu May 14, 2009 9:42 pm

A Peter Murray

B Phibsboro Shopping Centre

C That brickwork is really familiar!
DOC

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 pm

That was fast, Damn i thought B would have people guessing longer. Absolutely correct Phibsoro shopping center.

Not to sure about your answer for A. Is Peter Murray the architect for the first image i put up or for the second (my A).
magwea

Postby Rusty Cogs » Thu May 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Is A Busaras ?
Rusty Cogs

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 pm

Rusty Cogs: yeah you got it. Those bollards are pretty distinguished, alright
magwea

Postby Rusty Cogs » Thu May 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Ah that guy with the bag is always there ;)
Rusty Cogs

Postby notjim » Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 pm

C is on Western Way; it is a fun and mysterious sight.
notjim

Postby notjim » Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 pm

and G is Mountjoy prison, that's the gatehouse.
notjim

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Damn, I made these too easy. All correct notjim.

Although, D. E. and F. still need solving.
magwea

Postby ctesiphon » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 pm

Is the first (unlettered) one Fitzwilliam Tennis Club? In which case it's Sam Stephenson, if I remember correctly.

D is on Meeting House Square, I think- ODT's School of Photography?

The path in E looks like Lutyens's War Memorial at Islandbridge, though I can't place the bellcote.

No idea on F. (I knew A and C, though!)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Is E the little chapel in the grounds of St. Mary's Hospital in the Phoenix Park
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Very good. D: School of Photography taken from the first floor, with the wall of Charlies III framed.

The other two not so good. No War memorial and no tennis club pictured. Guess again.
magwea

Postby magwea » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Not St. Mary's Hospital. No. But getting closer.
magwea

Postby ctesiphon » Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am

A colleague who is too modest to reply himself has suggested that E is the chapel in Grangegorman. Seems like a strong candidate to me.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sws1bkgg8zny&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29507267&encType=1
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby magwea » Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 pm

You got it, or at least your colleague did. Then again all the glory goes to the person who posts the right answer first.

A quick shot looking the other way, the bell tower gives it away pretty quick:

And what is left of the chapel:

The first image and F still need answering. Although, looking at it now i think F is outside of the canal boundary so technically not allowed.
magwea

Postby magwea » Fri May 15, 2009 7:25 pm

This is the last of them so. Already ran out of images. One of these is a bit unfair, give it a go.

A

B

C

D
magwea

Postby ctesiphon » Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 pm

D is the Dental Hospital in TCD.

A looks like Mountjoy Women's Prison, but that's a guess.

Is C also in Trinity? Looks very familiar.

B- don't know. Docklands? Nice bit of yellow brick. Or is it red? And what type of pointing is it? Hmmm... ;)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby magwea » Sat May 16, 2009 9:28 pm

ctesiphon wrote:D is the Dental Hospital in TCD.

A looks like Mountjoy Women's Prison, but that's a guess.

Is C also in Trinity? Looks very familiar.

B- don't know. Docklands? Nice bit of yellow brick. Or is it red? And what type of pointing is it? Hmmm... ;)

They were answered quickly. And ctesiphon is on the ball again. D and C are sound, both in Trinity alright: dentist Hospital and ... -your going to have to be more specific with C to get full marks I'm afraid.

B and D are unfortunately a double no, although on the right track.

By the by here is the full uncropped first image i posted for which I'm still looking for information on.

Had a quick google for Peter Murray as to DOC's reply, seems like there are two architecture Murrays one who is the curator at the Crawford and another who is the founder of Blueprint magazine. Is this my man? Anyone know any more details about the building, or who could point me the right direction?

Another another puzzler just to keep this thread on target, where is this delightful sculpture to be found:

Bears an uncanny resemblance to starving cows in the Sahara i find.

magwea

Postby ctesiphon » Sat May 16, 2009 10:50 pm

The two almost parallel ranges are throwing me slightly on the other Trinity one- is it beside Aras An Phiarsaigh on Pearse Street / behind Botany Bay? Then again, the white bit at the end looks like the Engineering building at the Westland Row end... (notjim- help!)

I think the cow is in that square beside the Jervis Centre- drawing a blank on the name just now (brain gone to mush from too much Eurovision- poor Portugal *sob*).
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Sat May 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Scratch that- the other TCD one is the back of Lincoln Place.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby magwea » Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah, it's the sculpture by the jervis centre. Anyone know what the story is with the cow, was the square a commons at sometime? Would look great on an over sized marble plinth, instead of lying in the dirt like it is now.
magwea

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland