Cycling in Irish Cities

Re: Cycling in Irish Cities

Postby jimg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:07 pm

ctesiphon wrote:You empathise? But you are the enemy. If you want to use the bike lane, get a bike.

Don't mind him PDLL :D - you'll find that most of us cyclists are pretty easy going and have no problem sharing "our" space with others without whipping ourselves into a state of indignation. It doesn't bother me in the least (as a cyclist). ;)
jimg

Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:26 am

jimg wrote:I almost regretted rejoining this thread pretty much straight away. I've probably said all I want to really.

ctesiphon wrote:I do not claim to speak for road users, less still do I claim to speak for motorists. I speak for myself, a cyclist who uses bike paths, a pedestrian who uses footpaths, and a road user who uses roads for cycling and for public transport. (Emphasis added.)

How anyone can presume to speak for others, in particular or in general, I find somewhat baffling. In short, how can you know?
----------------------------------------------------
Devin- have you any tips for cycling in Amsterdam? (Not 'how to', but places to visit, paths to drool over, good hire places, how to avoid 'strollers', etc.) I'm off there in a couple of weeks for a long overdue first trip. If it's as good as you say (Respect for cyclists? What a novel concept...), I may never come back.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:44 am

I'm all for cycling lanes and pathways, but i don't want to CC to start putting them in every where they can, not that I've a problem with cyclists. It's just that alot of the lanes are so rediculus that all the laughing they surely induce will cause many an accident. Like this lovely example.
Bren88

Postby Devin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:42 am

... or this, from Portlaoise - bollards on the cycle lane :D :

[align=center]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/align]

ctesiphon,

Ther're only 2 Amsterdam streets you can't cycle on; the 2 shopping streets (Kalverstraat & Leidsestraat); after that, almost every street is drool-able over cycling-wise! - just keep on the right. I find there's not much problem with strollers there because bike conciousness is so high.

That Vondel Park I mentioned is a must for a visit - look out for it on the map (it's on the outskirts of the central area). I've rented bikes from MacBike-Fietsverhuur and Mike's Bikes - both good, and good value too. Definitely do hire a bike. It's tempting to just stroll around & get your bearings - and I didn't even hire a bike for the first two times I was there - but the cycling experience really is a must in Amsterdam (but this seems to be the purpose of your trip anyway!!).

The eastern docklands area is interesting too - there's an island, connected to the mainland by a bridge, which you can cycle over - it's full of experimental modern architecture, some good, some not so good ... but worth a look .
Devin
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 pm

That Portlaoise picture is hilarious. Two things strike me: the bollards look older than the path, so either they pre-date it or they were imported in their damaged state; and the road, bike path and footpath are all on the same level, presumably necessitating the bollards (in the Councils eyes). I get the impression the bollards are to protect pedestrians from cars, though, rather than to protect the cyclists.

Thanks for the info on Amsterdam. I'll be there for a week so there will be some walkabouts too but I'm keen to get into the saddle. It's a long overdue trip for someone who's a fan of 20th century architecture (early and late), and who thinks also that houseboats are a missing element of Dublin's canalscape. In short, I think Amsterdam and I are going to get along famously. (Did I mention my love of state sanctioned prostitution, btw?)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jimg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:58 pm

How anyone can presume to speak for others, in particular or in general, I find somewhat baffling. In short, how can you know?

Well now it's my turn to be baffled. You're asking this question in the context of a seemingly unrelated quote of mine from earlier in the thread but I can't make the connection between the quote and the question you are asking.
jimg

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Apologies jimg- it was a little unclear. I meant to include this quote (below) of yours too. Hope this rectifies it.
jimg wrote:you'll find that most of us cyclists are pretty easy going and have no problem sharing "our" space with others without whipping ourselves into a state of indignation.

ctesiphon wrote:How anyone can presume to speak for others, in particular or in general, I find somewhat baffling. In short, how can you know?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jimg » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Apologies jimg- it was a little unclear.

How about admitting that it made no sense whatsoever?

Even your clarification is unclear. Are you contesting my claim that most cyclists are easygoing when it comes to people walking on cyclepaths? Or were you upset at the indirect suggestion that you seem highly indignant about this topic?
jimg

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Yes, bad cycling behaviour makes me indignant.
No, I'm not ashamed to say so (how very Irish to think that the law-abiding citizen might be ashamed of obeying rules).
Yes, I'm contesting your claim.

I'll pretend to agree that my posts made no sense if you agree to let this dead-end tangential argument go quietly to its grave. If it's boring the pants off me, I can only imagine what it's doing to those not involved.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jimg » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:00 am

I'll pretend to agree that my posts made no sense

How gracious of you. The question referred to, addressed to me in post #102, made no sense. You made a mistake by using a quote from me that you probably didn't mean to use. It's an understandable mistake to make so there was no need to "clarify" before offering to "pretend to agree" having apparently become bored with the whole thing.
jimg

Postby anto » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:17 am

I see a cyclist was killed last week in Dublin by a truck, Stoneybater area I think. Trucks and bikes just don't mix
anto

Postby PDLL » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:41 pm

[quote="jimg"]Don't mind him PDLL :D - you'll find that most of us cyclists are pretty easy going and have no problem sharing "our" space with others without whipping ourselves into a state of indignation. It doesn't bother me in the least (as a cyclist). ]

No worries - as a pedestrian I have learned to show tolerance to other road users, even those who park cars half way up on footpaths and make parents with strollers take their chances on the open road. ctesiphon - this is the third discussion that I can recall that has bored you. This is unfortunate.
PDLL

Postby fergalr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:44 pm

I'm going to be starting to cycle to UCD in a few weeks probably, once the bike gets fixed. The cycle track along the north coast of the bay is great, it's the getting through the port and environs that's a bit mental.
fergalr

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:02 pm

PDLL wrote:No worries - as a pedestrian I have learned to show tolerance to other road users,

This kind of tolerance?
PDLL wrote:- as a person who frequently walks with a stroller - I know how painful and dangerous it is using ill-designed and broken pavements that are often blocked by some fat-ass pig's car half way up on the path.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your concern on the boredom front, PDLL. It is an ordeal, it's true, but I persevere. It wouldn't be so onerous a) if other members didn't keep dredging up dead lines of argument (6 weeks dead- 28/11 to 10/1) in the hopes of scoring some cheap points, or b) if the quality of the argument was sufficient to merit serious consideration on my part, but it's out of my hands. One other thing, though- by your comments can I infer that this type of pedantic argument doesn't bore you? I thought my tolerance for this crud was higher than most people's, but maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe you're as guilty of cheap points scoring as the next man, even at the expense of looking foolish?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Right- jimg. We'll go through this once more in the hopes that it can be put to bed once and for all. Pay attention- if I'm getting too advanced for you please let me know.
1) This (below) is how the message in its complete form would have looked, with the extra quote inserted for clarification purposes, and some added punctuation to be sure to be sure.
2) The first quote was not a mistake- it was inserted to show that you were being hypocritical in rejoining a thread which you had previously expressed regret about rejoining, particularly given that you appeared to rejoin it for the sole purpose of picking a fight with me (even stranger when one considers that the nippy nature of this argument seemed to be the reason for your regret in the first place)]I almost regretted rejoining this thread pretty much straight away. I've probably said all I want to really.[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------
jimg wrote:you'll find that most of us cyclists are pretty easy going and have no problem sharing "our" space with others without whipping ourselves into a state of indignation.

ctesiphon wrote:I do not claim to speak for road users, less still do I claim to speak for motorists. I speak for myself, a cyclist who uses bike paths, a pedestrian who uses footpaths, and a road user who uses roads for cycling and for public transport. (Emphasis added.)

Sin e.

PS Nazis, Godwin, The End?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby PDLL » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:13 pm

I thank you, ctesiphon, for your indulgence. Points scoring? Foolish? I merely recalled that you occasionally suffer from boredom induced by some of the discussions that take place on Archiseek and I expressed how unfortunate that was. Extrapolate what you wish.

Indeed, this exemplifies the level of tolerance that I generally display to those who choose to park half-way up on a footpath. If you have ever had to risk your own life and that of your child by having to go out on a busy road with a stroller in order to allow some fat-ass pig to rest his car on a footpath, you would realise that I am demonstrating extreme tolerance by merely referring to them merely as fat-ass pigs. If I was prone to intolerance, I would probably smash his windscreen in with a brick.
PDLL

Postby jimg » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:06 pm

:D Sorry ctesiphon, could you explain that again? I'm curious what tone you'll adopt next. So far you've hit me with (in order): irritation, condescension, pomposity, feigned indifference, patronisation and anger.

I responded to message #102 in an entirely reasonable fashion. Read it and my immediate response again.

I have not responded to your question "How anyone can presume to speak for others?" because I didn't see it's relevence to my position on anything here and I saw it as an attempt (admittedly a very successful one) to personalise the discussion. Instead of accusing me of presumption, you could have simply contested the claim with, for example, something along the lines of "I disagree. Most cyclist are NOT easy going when it comes to non-cyclists using cycle paths because...".
jimg

Postby PDLL » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Might of interest - some photos of cycling paths in the UK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4794198.stm
PDLL

Postby PVC King » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Well when you crash into it at least you won't need a mobile to summon help ;)
PVC King

Postby garethace » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:42 am

Suburban residents find alternatives to waiting at bus stops.

Dog-powered Scooters? ?

Brian O' Hanlon.
Attachments
dog-scooter.jpg
dog-scooter.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
garethace

Postby Devin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 am

This thread was originally meant to be about cycling in all the Irish cities but has ( :rolleyes: ) been very Dublin-ish so far – apart from corcaighboy’s post. Probably my fault to some extent for putting on so many Dublin images.

I took my bike down to Cork on the train once last summer and the Mardyke Walk (below) seemed like a nice, low-traffic area to cycle – though not very long. Are there any other good minimally-trafficked or traffic-free ‘green routes’ in Cork?

Would like to hear about cycling in the other cities too.
Attachments
Copy of DSCN0572.JPG
Copy of DSCN0572.JPG (99.47 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Devin
Old Master

Postby paddyinthehouse » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 pm

Arguably the best cycle route in Cork city is along the line of the Old Blackrock & Passage railway. From the east end of the city centre, head for Victoria Road, then take either Monahans Rd. or Centre Park Rd through the Docklands. Centre Park Rd. serves all the industrial premises, oil terminal, etc, but is worlds apart from its counterpart in Dublin Port - tree-lined for most of its length. At the end of Centre Park Rd., you emerge onto the Marina, which is a traffic-free, tree-lined boulevard along the banks of the Lee. Continue past Pairc Ui Chaoimhe and then take a right, onto the old railway reservation. Route is intact as far as Rochestown, beyond that I am unsure. The other benefit is that the track is, almost uniquely in Cork, flat! No lungbursting near-vertical climbs here!
paddyinthehouse

Postby Devin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks for that paddyinthehouse. I've seen that loony disused rail line marked on the maps, but have always meant to check it out. I will do so next time I'm down.
Devin
Old Master

Postby anto » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:12 am

that old railway line is very peaceful; pity it's not redeveloped as a rail line though. Might disturb your cycling though!
anto

Postby garethace » Thu May 11, 2006 12:05 am

Some other innovations in personal transportation:

http://www.core77.com/news/archive_02.03.asp

Frank Llyod Wright would have approved of microcopters I am sure, for jetting around his version of the city.

Brian O' Hanlon.
Attachments
micro01.jpg
micro01.jpg (19.8 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
garethace

Postby CologneMike » Mon May 15, 2006 12:34 am

Devin

This thread was originally meant to be about cycling in all the Irish cities but has been very Dublin-ish so far – apart from corcaighboy’s post. Probably my fault to some extent for putting on so many Dublin images.

Limerick’s local Authority approach makes for some interesting reading. If implemented the advantages would improve the living quality there manifold.

Limerick City Cycle Network Strategy

The strategy sets out the key issues involved in developing a cycle lane network for Limerick City. A proposed network of cycle routes is identified. These routes link centres of education and work places with residential areas utilising Limerick's relatively flat topography and attractive water frontages.
The Limerick City Cycle Network Strategy was presented to the Transportation & Infrastructure Strategic Policy Committee on the 1st of September 2003.
The Public Consultation for the Strategy was carried out over a six week period from the 1st September to the 22nd October 2003. The proposed network was amended as a result of the Public Consultation exercise. This document was passed by Limerick City Council on the 24th May 2004.

Director of Service: John Breen
Transportation & Infrastructure Department
Limerick City Council
May 2004

Click the link for full account. http://www.limerickcity.ie/services/roads/rt_cycle.html
Attachments
cnb.jpg
cnb.jpg (180.25 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
CologneMike
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland