developments in cork

Re: Oyster Developments Office Development at Deane Street

Postby sw101 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:28 am

lexington wrote:The innovative CentrePoint, 9-storey office development by DAT Partnerships. To give you some perspective, this image is shows the western elevation, with No.6 Lapps Quay to the left (south), the Bus Station to the right (north) and Oyster Developments proposal to the west (behind the CentrePoint building). It will be important for the Oyster proposal not to detract from this new building either.

i can't get my head around this thing at all. any better images?
sw101

Re: Cork: Architecture & Development

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:38 am

Yes, indeed might I respectfully ask in the earlier context of improving on LATSOCL if it is possible to post better resolution images here that those often going up. Considering it is such an image-rich thread, and effort and time is already put into scanning images, it's not much more difficult to get a better res. Or invest in a better scanner, they're only 50 quid in Aldi you know!
More often than not it is more irritating to have a poor quality image than no image at all. It'd improve the thread no end to have higher quality images.
Thanks.

Oh go on then, here's a smilie :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:11 am

it looks like an art gallery i did in second year. or at least a bad elevation of what i designed. and what's with the go-faster fin on the right hand side?
sw101

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:43 am

It makes it go faster you see.
GrahamH
Old Master

warning: Spinal Tap reference

Postby Devin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:28 am

Like the amps that go up to 11 :D
Devin
Old Master

Postby lexington » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:44 am

Graham Hickey wrote:Yes, indeed might I respectfully ask in the earlier context of improving on LATSOCL if it is possible to post better resolution images here that those often going up. Considering it is such an image-rich thread, and effort and time is already put into scanning images, it's not much more difficult to get a better res. Or invest in a better scanner, they're only 50 quid in Aldi you know!
More often than not it is more irritating to have a poor quality image than no image at all. It'd improve the thread no end to have higher quality images.
Thanks.

Oh go on then, here's a smilie :)

Point accepted. I genuinely am looking into improving their quality - for a long time I couldn't get the images up at all or at least compressed to a capable size, so the next stage is adjusting clarity. I agree that it will form an important part of improving the quality of this thread. There's nothing worse than trying to assess a piece of architecture and not being able to view it clearly.
lexington
Old Master

Postby altuistic » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:50 am

That Centrepoint building seems to me like a wave or an olympic torch perhaps??? i know the site and i am perplexed as to how they intend to construct such a complicated looking building on such a tiny plot. I read somewhere, here?, that it hung over the pathways. I would think more photographs are needed to understand how the building looks from the quayside and how it affects the other buildings in the area.
altuistic

Postby Pug » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:13 am

I'm sure I saw very similar deisgn building in Brussels or Strasbourg, its one of the European Commission Buildings, or the European Court of Human Rights (Basically the European something or other!!)
Pug

Postby bunch » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:21 am

lexington - is the DAT Partnership image shown an Eastern elevation? With No. 6 Lapps Quay +Oliver Plunkett St to the left and bus station to the right +behind?

What do people think of this? As much as can be understood of the building from the image anyhow? I think it has some potential - although i would have preferred something a little sharper and triangular - with a bit more definition - in relation to the specific nature of the site - this building looks like its trying to escape the site, as opposed to reflecting its particular configuration - however i would be fairly positive - but would love to see more images - as well as more impressions of the E-Project's proposals next door
bunch

Postby pier39 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:39 am

sw101 wrote:it looks like an art gallery i did in second year. or at least a bad elevation of what i designed. and what's with the go-faster fin on the right hand side?

all it needs now is a bass tube and some bling bling rims!!!!! 'pimp my office building', y'all.

like bunch i was expecting a flatiron building type structure on the site given its triangular shape and though i think such a sharp styled structure could have risen higher given its sharper punctuation of the skyline, i have to say i was pleasantly surprised when i saw this image. ive also seen a montage perspective of the building from eglinton st and from that viewpoint its looks a little bulky. from a birdseye perspective the go-faster fin actually teardrops the building off nicely.
pier39

Postby securityman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:15 am

I also think 21 lavvitts quay is a great development and adds to the city the thing is we need to move forward with innovative and appealing buildings. The city needs to get rid of the derilict buildings and at last that seems to be happening. When they revamped the front of the opera house they should have looked at the wall facing the quay because as they say dont judge a book by its cover the inside could do with a major revampl aswell.

Does anyone know where Rockfell Investments are based as I cannot seem to find a number for them in connection with the guy building.

Did you see that Tom McCarthy has got the go ahead for a major development in Macroom does anyone know who is going to build it.
securityman

Postby lisam » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:01 pm

securityman wrote:I also think 21 lavvitts quay is a great development and adds to the city the thing is we need to move forward with innovative and appealing buildings. The city needs to get rid of the derilict buildings and at last that seems to be happening. When they revamped the front of the opera house they should have looked at the wall facing the quay because as they say dont judge a book by its cover the inside could do with a major revampl aswell.

Does anyone know where Rockfell Investments are based as I cannot seem to find a number for them in connection with the guy building.

Did you see that Tom McCarthy has got the go ahead for a major development in Macroom does anyone know who is going to build it.

Rockfell Investments is owned by the O Donoghue Ring family who own Munster Joinery in Ballydesmond. The address used in the planning application is Lacka Cross, Ballydesmond.

Tom McCarthys job in MAcroom hasnt gone out for tender yet so no contractor has been selected.
lisam

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm

I'm sure I saw very similar deisgn building in Brussels or Strasbourg

Not sure what building in Cork you're referring to, but the building currently seeking planning for Revenue looks very similar to one on Rue Belliard (on the left as you head from Froissart towards town (or the European Parliament) in Brussels, right down to large wooden beams running vertically inside the glass front. As for as I know its a Commission building of some kind.
Aidan

Postby lexington » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:44 pm

securityman wrote:Does anyone know where Rockfell Investments are based as I cannot seem to find a number for them in connection with the guy building.

Rockfell Investments,
c/o Munster Joinery,
Lacka Cross,
Ballydesmond,
Cork

As far as I know, and I'm open for correction on this, so feel free - but Munster Joinery's construction (Darragh Dubh - is it?) element are constructing the project themselves...anyone???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bunch - yes the image is taken from an eastern perspective looking west. The bus station is right and No.6 Lapps Quay is to the left.

I'll do my best to get more images in the future - the project is now in Further Information.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sw101 - do you have an images you could share of the 'Gallery' you design which helms some resemblance to the DAT Partnerships building? :confused: :o
lexington
Old Master

Postby who_me » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:53 pm

Devin wrote:Provided they can integrate and co-exist happily.......which is not the case on Lavitt's Quay in my opinion.

That's fair enough. Though given the dreadful multi-storey car parks just behind the quayside, I think that area is a prime candidate for some taller buildings to mask them. With those in place, No.21 shouldn't look so out of place.

I do agree with you on No. 16 wholeheartedly, I don't care much for it at all.
who_me

Postby Pug » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:16 pm

Aidan wrote:Not sure what building in Cork you're referring to,

i was talking about the one proposed by DAT partnerships
Pug

Postby sw101 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:19 pm

lexington wrote:sw101 - do you have an images you could share of the 'Gallery' you design which helms some resemblance to the DAT Partnerships building? :confused: :o

i threw out that portfolio years ago. utter rubbish. who are DAT partnerships, architects?
sw101

Postby redabbeyredux » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:52 pm

DAT - drug action teams - they are big buzz across the water. Maybe that explains why the building looks like the bowl of an enormous hash pipe.
redabbeyredux

BrideView Developments the Riversdale site buyer?

Postby lexington » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:27 pm

A large residential development site near Curraheen Greyhound Stadium at Riversdale in Bishopstown is believed to have been sold for a figure in excess of 11m euros to Declan O'Mahony's BrideView Developments. The 6-acre site, abutting the new Ballincollig By-Pass, had been guiding at a figure of around 10m euros through auctioneers Irish & European. The site comes with full planning permission (attained by former owner Jerimiah Lynch) for a high-density residential scheme of 123 units, creche and community centre designed by Murray O'Laoire Architects.

"The accommodation is comprised of dual aspect apartments, own door access duplex units and ‘empty nester’ units, designed to appeal to persons downsizing from larger dwellings in the area," according to MOLA. "The proposed development will articulate the transition in scale from the domestic scale of the suburban housing to the grand scale of the new Bypass. The design will form a landmark when viewed from the roadway, denoting the western extent of the greater Cork conurbation. Buildings are planned around the perimeter of the site, enclosing a parkland type interior which terminates in a boardwalk running parallel to the Twopot River."

ImageImage

I'll try and get some better images sometime in the future so that the design can be assessed in better detail.
lexington
Old Master

OCP plans for a Skating Rink

Postby lexington » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:30 pm

:) Okay I know this is a little off the canter, but it's nice to see O'Callaghan Properties are thinking outside the box. They are shortly applying for permission to change use, partly, of the 'Tall Order' restaurant which consumes a vast majority of the upper floor at their North Main Street Shopping Centre, for use as a skating rink! Whether that's ice, skateboarding or a hark back to those classic days of 1970s roller-discos, I don't yet know - but it should make for an interesting addition. At least their thinking beyond the standard residential, retail or office box - there's a whole other market out there that seems completely untouched, and its not associated with the aforementioned uses. OCP seem to be, with this plan, to be tapping into a shrapnel of this market.

Looks like I had better raid that dusty old cupboard for my old skates! - and look a right fool when I'm the oldest person there and everyone else has a skateboard. :p
lexington
Old Master

Postby altuistic » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:16 pm

I see Mick Murphy wasted no time in getting an objection in on the Frinilla building next to Top Motors.

i'll be honest with you, and I'm not living so far away, i've no problem really with this building, its not stunning by any means but its not a bad design. I wont be putting on an objection to this after all this road is starting to suit these buildings and not with any great loss. However you can be darn sure if another student accommodation buildings like that lego brick along Victoria Cross was ever again proposed the council can have my twenty euros because that standard is not acceptable in this area or in any area at all. Also i would like to think that the plans for Dennehys garage at the crossroads - does anyone know who is behind that? - should be more befitting of the height of other buildings in this area. Maybe it could be higher facing the health board building but certainly closer to the junction it should be no more than three possibly four floors - that would depend on how well it looks. It would be nice for that development to be a gateway into the Victoria Cross area and the rest of the city and provide a nice border to the residential areas along Wilton road and Model Farm Road which should be preserved in their plesant suburban state. I would be most heartfelt about that.
altuistic

Postby lexington » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:41 pm

:) Riga Limited, the O'Callaghan Properties SPV, has lodged plans for a new pedestrian and vehicular bridge spanning between its Jurys Hotel redevelopment site and the Western Road. Under condition by ABP regarding the redevelopment, OCP were requested to re-apply for permission regarding the bridge connection. A decision date is set for September the 8th 2005. The bridge is designed by Henry J. Lyons & Partners. Although construction is permitted, no persons occupying the apartment elements of the redevelopment will be permitted to habitat the new units until the bridge is complete. OCP plan to have the bridge up and ready well in advance of the Phase 1 completion.

:) Lyonshall Ltd (Kieran Coughlan and Claire Riordan) have been granted permission to develop an 80,000sq ft (approx) 3 to 4-storey mixed use building designed by O'Mahony Pike Architects as part of the Ursuline Convent redevelopment. The 1st Phase of the 500 residential unit development is set to begin in co-operation with Pierse Construction in the near future. The permitted building will provide a new discount retail store, library, 8 office units, basement car-park and 3 additional retail units.
lexington
Old Master

New School of Architecture for Cork

Postby lexington » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:39 pm

Following UL's recent adventure into the provision of a new School of Architecture, it would seem that UCC and CIT are assessing the feasibility of such a school for Cork. 4 sites are currently being evaluated, one near the grounds of CIT and UCC's Business Technology Hub near Curraheen, a further Northside site and 2 other locations. More details on that when/if I hear them.
lexington
Old Master

Postby DublinLimerick » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:00 am

Aerial photo of Cork
DublinLimerick

Postby DublinLimerick » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:07 am

Sorry..... can't seem to attach pic - will try later.
DublinLimerick

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland