Aren't the Irish Independent Property Supplement a disgrace?

Re: Aren't the Irish Independent Property Supplement a disgrace?

Postby ctesiphon » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:02 pm

DublinLimerick wrote:Aren't the Irish Independent Property Supplement a disgrace?

You appear to lack grammatical knowledge.

DL-
The thread title might lack grammatical correctness, but it is logically fallacious to state that its author lacks grammatical knowledge. How can you tell? Maybe (s)he chose not to use it? Maybe (s)he chose the deliberate mistake? (As seems to have been the case.)

You want to get nit-picky? We can get nit-picky. I'd rather stick to the point of the thread. ;)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby burge_eye » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:51 pm

The property sections of all the papers are the same. They don't, however, purport to be anything but estate agents' hardcopy. They aren't "architectural" supplements although they do sometimes try to bring some innovative houses to our attention. The point is that newspapers make a lot of cold cash out of these supplements - they are, don't forget, 20 pages of adverts. Newspapers, therefore, are not about to bite the hands that feed them. They only print what the Planning authorities allow to be built.
burge_eye

Postby hutton » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:30 pm

Areaone wrote:Sweet mother of Jesus!

I notice the date of the supplement is April 1st.......could it be an April Fools?......It must be suely!!

:eek: Ooh my God, its not a joke after all as the link proves - http://www.nolan-brophy.com/html/new_dev.htm#

Still at prices starting "FROM €600,000", sure isn't it great value all the same if you want to be tied in to a shite quality of life and a 40 year mortgague. Yes indeed, 24 hours a week stuck in traffic for 600K. Pass me the bucket.

H
hutton

Postby burge_eye » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Lotts wrote:Shame on Damien Hughes.
That sure is one badly proportioned door.
Could be the very example of curved PVC that you were looking for though Graham

this is a mid 18C house near where I live. They were neeearly right
Attachments
moat house.jpg
moat house.jpg (1.54 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
burge_eye

Postby GrahamH » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:38 pm

But not quite...

You make a good point about this type of stuff being in their interests, but the fact that it's often not even kept off the front pages makes it quite ridiculous.
These articles just fuel demand for these developments: fanning the flames of bad architecture, bad planning and bad environmental practice.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby hutton » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:19 pm

FYI - Also from the estate agents website:

"Killenard’s elevated location gives panoramic views over the Kildare Plains to the North and the Wicklow Mountains to the East. It is located in luscious and scenic countryside.The old road running through the village is one of the five ancient roads of Ireland known as the “Sli Dala” (way of the tribes) dating back to Pre-Christian times.

To the North of Killenard, the ruins of Lea Castle at the Barrow River are still visible and it was built in the 3rd Century being one of the more important Castles in Leinster at the time. Also beside the village is Carrig Hill where the first Earl of Portarlington erected a spire in the 1780’s and set the hill aside for the hunting and leisure activities of the local gentry.

In keeping with the area’s ancient history, the developer’s have taken the name of this development i.e. Carriglea from the above mentioned Lea Castle and Carrig Hill combining the two words into “Carriglea”. On the edge of the village is the imposing Mount Henry (Mount St. Anne’s) built by the local Landlord’s the Skeffington-Smiths in 1820.

The entire region is steeped in fascinating history ranging from the ancient and once magnificent Fort at the Rock of Dunamaise (towards Portlaoise) dating from before 1200 listing Strongbow and the Sons of the King of Leinster as its occupants and probably dates back to pre - Celtic days. The nearby Emo Court residence dates back to 1790 and is a splendid architectural masterpiece designed by James Gandon (who designed the Customs House & Four Courts in Dublin). Now Emo Court is owned by the state with wonderful public walks on the adjoining grounds and woods which can be enjoyed by owners in Carriglea. A wonderful facility at your doorstep. "
hutton

Postby finlay » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:22 pm

Sunday Indo even worse, very much driven by advertising 'cheerleading', editor strangely tries to infuse the selling pitch with details of his personal life, a la A A Gill or Clarkson but fails miserably. The danger of this misleading hyperbole is it creates a market among the readership, which, apparently is the hightest Sunday readership.
finlay

Postby Spitzer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:47 am

Whatever you think about these houses and I have seen much more lavish old style houses there is a definite market for this type of house if there was no market no one would be building them. Personally I wouldn't pay 600,000 euro plus for anything less than a shopping centre in Laois it is just too far from Dublin and traffic gets worse every year. What they don't tell you in the ad is that Newlands Cross is worse than its ever been and please don't get me started on the mad cow.
Spitzer

Postby Devin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:43 am

More from I. I. property supplement on Friday:

These are being advertised (in a separate ad on the page) as "period homes" - that warrants a complaint to the advertising standards authority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newly built? Well why is it for sale then? - some landowner fiddling the system.

The sales pitch reads like an An Bord Pleanala schedule for refusal of planning permission; 'newly-built for sale' (no occupancy clause); 'dormer bungalow' (obtrusive design); 'elevated site' (would have high visual impact on surrounding area)
Devin
Old Master

Postby tomfoster » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:14 am

finlay wrote:Sunday Indo even worse, very much driven by advertising 'cheerleading', editor strangely tries to infuse the selling pitch with details of his personal life, a la A A Gill or Clarkson but fails miserably. The danger of this misleading hyperbole is it creates a market among the readership, which, apparently is the hightest Sunday readership.

Could not agree more with Finlay about the appaling Sindo supplement. Its even trashier than its weekday counterpart, showing a crass ignorance of all architecutal and heritage issues combined with supercilious schoolboy writing that is meant to pass as wit. If this is the largest circulation Sunday, god help Ireland.
tomfoster

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:07 am

Ah you'd have to love it all - lol

'Decorative streetlighting is a distinguishing feature'

'An impressive custom-made Georgian front door'

'Unique rounded windows with plaster surrounds'

'FIVE bathrooms'?!

And why people get away with building speculatively... - I'd hate to see the reality of what AT have to experience daily - I really don't want to know.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:02 pm

Devin wrote:More from I. I. property supplement on Friday:

I cannot quite figure it out, but there seems to be a striking resemblance between these houses and the ones being referred to in this link:

http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/129/R129196.DOC

Either way, the description of the Bord Pleanala inspector is quite telling:

"The initial report of the Planner clearly identified the principal planning issues associated with the proposed development. This site is in a remote, unserviced rural area. The layout and form of this development is suburban and the development appears purely speculative. It is wholly inappropriate to be developing such suburban type development in this rural area. Such development would constitute undesirable ribbon development, would undermine the rural amenities of this area and would lead to demands for public services and community facilities. Such development is more appropriate to existing settlements in the area, such as the nearby village of Ballintubber."
phil
Old Master

Postby tungstentee » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:21 pm

hey you there, ctesiphon, do you do any work?.... :)

great website http://www.idler.co.uk
tungstentee

Postby doc brown » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Hey ctesiphon, Did you hand that tall buildings essay in yet. No, because you've spent the last week on this bloody discussion forum. Do some work for god's sake.
doc brown

Postby phil » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:24 pm

tungstentee, doc brown, should it not be me that you should be directing that at? ;)
phil
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:52 pm

I wish to disassociate myself from the above comments. Yes, I know who it was, and no, it won't happen again. Sorry Paul and everyone else.
Doc and Tungsten- once more and I out you.
Phil- get back to work. ;)

Your pal,
Ctesiphon (Robert).
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:16 am

How very smug to scoff and scorn at developments, but sure what the heck - look at these gems :rolleyes:

Luckily, if that isn't quite your cup of tea, there's a varity of designs on offer to cater for all executive tastes:
(top of page photo-link)

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/sf2003.exe?pageref=res_property&propid=LKP00716&pagemode=res

This is my favourite:

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby lunasa » Sun May 08, 2005 9:02 am

.....browsing, found this on today's Sunday Indepenent property page:

"Artist's impression of the €40m marina village development in the heart of Athlone. Births in the 100-birth marina cost €35,000 "
Expecting a baby boom?
lunasa

Postby ctesiphon » Sun May 08, 2005 10:28 pm

:D
I hadn't realised just how acute the bed shortage is in the Midlands- not just A&E but Maternity too.
Though these will presumably be water births?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby GregF » Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 am

I agree too about the Indo in general, It's sort of fluffy tabloid journalism. It's kinda like TV3's news coverage to RTE's or ITV to the BBC...if to make a comparison. The Irish Times is much better with Frank McDonald & Co.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Devin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:00 am

Current planning application for another one of those mock-period housing estates just like the one at the start of the thread in Killenard, Co. Laois; this time in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary (Clonmel Borough Council Planning Ref. 05/132).

But leaving aside the vulgar housing style (imo), how are we ever going to create logical extensions to our towns and villages if these type of low-density, car-based housing estates keep being built? If developers keep applying for these estates and Councils keep granting them, how are we ever going to create the kind of sustainable communities we are told we need, where all services are within walking/cycling distance and the built environment integrates harmoniously with that of the existing town or village?
Devin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:53 pm

I read in the ST that the indo got nailed over this

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=398894&ID=660068&NumPics=3&Make=BMW&Model=M3%20Coupe&frmFilter=#

a bit like a certain painting

Peach of a story — pity it was too good to be true

A GOOD rule of thumb when reading downmarket Irish papers these days is that the content will be a mixture of fact and fiction. But the Irish Independent’s love of factoids means it is a sucker for hoax stories. Remember when it published on its front page a made-up prank that Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, was demanding the return of the National Gallery’s Caravaggio?

Last Tuesday the Indo reported that the wife of a philandering husband had daubed his €90,000 BMW M3 coupé with peach paint, then realised the car was in her own name and put it up for sale on the Car Buyers Guide website for just €10,000. This is the sort of urban myth you’d expect a blind bat to see through. But the Indo bought everything except the car, even reporting that “Last night, the woman was unavailable for comment”.

“BMW not for sale . . . but 50,000 bought it” ran the headline in the next day’s Indo, a reference to the number of hits on the site. No mention that the newspaper was among those duped. Car Buyers Guide said it had no way of weeding out hoax ads: “Anybody can make a posting on cbg.ie.” Anybody can, but only the Indo will take them seriously.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-2036965,00.html
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:32 pm

I caught the Indo and Herald out more times... it was so easy... does anyone remember a front page Herald about murder based walking tours of Dublin?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Sue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:53 pm

No, tell us more about that Paul
(The Herald is like an Irish version of the national enquirer) :D
Sue

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:26 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland