Vertigo? U2 tower to be taller

Re: Vertigo? U2 tower to be taller

Postby jdivision » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Anybody else wondering whether the awarding of the U2 tower construction project is already a done deal? Just think about what was due to be built next to it and how that is no longer mentioned even though it has planning permission.
jdivision

Postby kite » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:30 pm

jdivision wrote:Anybody else wondering whether the awarding of the U2 tower construction project is already a done deal? Just think about what was due to be built next to it and how that is no longer mentioned even though it has planning permission.

;) Planning in Ireland eh? Money talks.:D...or walks,,to Holland.
kite

Postby Keen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:19 pm

the U2 tower seems to be getting some unsettling press around the world - saw a few articles online about locals, and some people go as far to say 'dubliners' who are odjecting tower. I think it's mad to say that a tiny group of residents objecting the tower get more press than the tower itself. I guess the only newsworthy stories are bad news. Also the fact that there is such a long-windeda debate over a 100m tower is laughable. Many cities build them unnoticed and get on with it.
Anyway i wonder if they will still build the studio on top since U2 are moving to Holland? And will they still call it the U2 tower?
We have been talking about this tower since 2002 and now it will not commence until 2008? It is only worth waiting that long for the Shanghai World Financial Centre which has taken 10 years to get off the ground...and that is almost 500M tall!!!
I dont see why there should be such a the delay between the tender deadline in October 2006 and commencing construction in 2008? 2 years? I am convinced it will be under way before then...unless they cancel the whole thing...ha ha ha
Keen

Postby The Denouncer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:33 pm

U2 aren't moving to Holland, just their finances. Therefore you will see them heli-coptering on top of their tower as planned, in 2009.
The Denouncer

Postby Keen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:56 pm

The Denouncer wrote:U2 aren't moving to Holland, just their finances. Therefore you will see them heli-coptering on top of their tower as planned, in 2009.

Is there a helipad in the design now? i thought they had a 'dedicated' lift?
Keen

Postby kite » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:31 pm

The Denouncer wrote:U2 aren't moving to Holland, just their finances. Therefore you will see them heli-coptering on top of their tower as planned, in 2009.

;)
The foresight of U2 eh!
Do you think when they were recording in Windmill Lane Studios all those years ago they knew the tax breaks would come to an end?...Windmills,,Holland!!:rolleyes:
kite

Postby weehamster » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:32 pm

Is U2 actually going to own this building or are they only renting the top few floors :confused:
weehamster

Postby Keen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:34 am

i seen one article in an Aussie paper claiming that U2 were building the tower as if they were financing it or worse can you imagine Bono and the boys out doing a bit of bricklaying? :D
Keen

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:51 pm

When is the U2 Tower going to be finished? I heard that it would be opened in 2008 on one site and on another it said 2010, what's the exact date?
Cathal Dunne

Postby paul h » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:31 am

Hopefully some movement on this; (i,ve taken the liberty to highlight the biggest 'what the f...' moment of the article)

U2 Tower rises as it goes to planning
Edel Morgan

The long awaited planning application for the U2 Tower on Dublin's south Docklands has been lodged with the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) - and outlines plans for a tower that is substantially higher than expected at 130 metres, 10 metres higher than the Spire.

According to the DDDA's Director of Architecture, John McLaughlin, the 30-storey twisting tower at the end of Sir John Rogerson's Quay will be mostly apartments - up to 100 metres - but will be crowned by a recording studio for U2 in a penthouse and a pinnacle that will give it a total height of 130 metres above street level.

The DDDA can fast track the application so it will not be held up by a public appeals process.

The anticipated completion date is 2008/2009. When it is built Bono and the boys will be able to take a dedicated lift down to the café and terrace at its base after a hard session in their recording studio.
Whether they will have first dibs on any of its 182 one, two and three-bed apartments remains to be seen. The apartments will have "stunning views of the bay and back out towards the mountain", says McLaughlin, as well as a high degree of glazing, generous floor sizes and high specifications across the board.

One estate agent reckons that two-bedroom units will be €1 million to €1.5 million "depending on how high up you go and whether it has a view of the sea. As it twists, the views will differ."

McLaughlin describes the building, designed by Burdon Craig Dunne Henry (BCDH), as having a sculptural quality. "Like a Brancusi sculpture, it looks different when you look at it from different angles."

It will twist gradually as it rises, "with the last floor rotated 45 degrees in relation to the first floor and the tower will have a width of 26m". While construction costs of €55 million to €100 million are being bandied about, McLaughlin says it is impossible to estimate.

"We don't yet have a building this tall and the tallest building in Dublin so far was built 30 years ago. It's quite a new construction type. Most builders are used to building six to eight storeys but this is something new." The DDDA has advertised for a development team with experience in delivering high-rise towers and it is believed that all the major developers such as Liam Carroll of Zoe and Treasury Holdings will compete for the job. Pre-selection for a development partner should take place by the end of the year.

© The Irish Times
paul h

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 am

First they lodge a plan for a 60 metre tower and then the DDDA say they'll raise it to 100 metres. And now second they put in the planning application and they want 130 metres:eek: Nothing against them doing it really, I think there'll be little if any extra impact with the 30 metres but it really sounds like this is turning into the 'Incredible Expanding U2 Tower'
Cathal Dunne

Postby malec » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:32 am

I say go for it. In my view a building becomes a skyscraper at around 150m. What I mean by that is a building really starts to be impressive due to height at this point, below this tall buildings are just "highrise". :)
Of course it depends on the design but I don't think it depends a lot on context. For example when I walk by the county hall I'm always impressed with how much the renovation improved it but am never impressed by the height, even though it's the tallest in Ireland
malec

Postby Keen » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:53 pm

It sounds like the building it sticking to 100M at the 'shoulder' but the 10m will be added to the rooftop feature which is a substantial part of the overall building. I think it would look great though, and make it a real icon for the city centre especially if it was lit up and a lot of detail was put into the roof feature. And more importantly it now surpasses Hueston gate's height of 123.55M!
Keen

Postby kite » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:First they lodge a plan for a 60 metre tower and then the DDDA say they'll raise it to 100 metres. And now second they put in the planning application and they want 130 metres:eek: Nothing against them doing it really, I think there'll be little if any extra impact with the 30 metres but it really sounds like this is turning into the 'Incredible Expanding U2 Tower'

:o Does anybody feel that a landmark building such as the U2 tower should be planned in conjunction with the City Council from the drawing board on, rather than adding a bit here, a bit there to gain height for heights sake?
I’m all for a statement building BUT the way this project is going seems to be some sort of penile or height substitute, sorry Bono!!:eek:
kite

Postby jdivision » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:14 pm

The announcement on the preferred tenderer will be made later today, I'd be shocked if it's not Liam Carroll

EDIT: Sorry I think I got mixed up with the NCC preferred tenderers

Dermod Dwyer, Chairman/CEO of SDICC stated: “On behalf of the whole SDICC team, I am pleased to welcome the Minister, The NCC Steering Committee and our respective teams to Spencer Dock and to acknowledge the pro-active role all have played to bring the Public Private Partnership (PPP) tender successfully to this penultimate point in the process. It is a real recognition for Kevin Roche, the architect, the NEC group as designated managers, CMP/Sisk the building contractors, the extensive Irish and international professional team, and the other major stakeholders particularly the promoters Spencer Dock Development Company (SDDC) – led by Treasury Holdings, all of whom have demonstrated a strong commitment and belief in this project over many years.”

He continued “This is a unique PPP project which requires the successful Tenderer both to provide the site, and to design, build, finance and operate Irelands National Conference Centre for 25 years. The finished iconic NCC building would be where Ireland and Dublin host the world for conferences, meetings, exhibitions and related events. Its proposed central location and high specification would undoubtedly put Dublin in a strong position to attract and compete for international conferences. The SDICC management team, in co-operation with the major sector stakeholders, are now ready and willing to get on with this important business. Already firm enquiries have been received in respect of a number of large international meetings including the world congress for a large professional body.”
jdivision

Postby Rusty Cogs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:09 pm

JDivision

Did you say you had news about the Spencer Dock development ?
Rusty Cogs

Postby jdivision » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Rusty Cogs wrote:JDivision

Did you say you had news about the Spencer Dock development ?

Not huge but they are conducting a tall buildings survey in the north Lotts area and it is likely to result in significantly higher buildings being allowed in certain areas, Spencer Dock is expected to be one of the areas to benefit.
jdivision

Postby aj » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:32 pm

jdivision wrote:Not huge but they are conducting a tall buildings survey in the north Lotts area and it is likely to result in significantly higher buildings being allowed in certain areas, Spencer Dock is expected to be one of the areas to benefit.

i think they realise the bollocks that has been made of the rest of the docklands..to little to late?
aj

Postby Morlan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 am

I believe there is a crane being erected right in the middle of the site. Can anyone confirm?
Morlan

Postby Rusty Cogs » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:45 pm

There's currently about five cranes on site, all dealing with the construction of the PWC offices (fronting on to the Liffey) and the apartments behind. The site of the National Conference centre is currently being used as a storage area for building materials.
Rusty Cogs

Postby alonso » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:31 am

apparently it's a "building with a shoulder parapet at 100 metres above street level crowned with a new recording studio for U2 in a penthouse to a final height of 130 metres above street level" so 130 metres then?

It's a pity it's a section 25 application. Had it been a normal one, someone could have appealed and asked for an oral hearing. And given Boo's penchant for attending these types of events, we coulda gone and looked on in awe/heckled/got an autograph/thrown fruit... whatever floats yer boat
alonso

Postby Rusty Cogs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 pm

Are U2 going to need a studio in three/four years time. Surely the African Queen will be out of bombastic stadium dross by then. Then again, look at the Stones (or Status Quo) !
Rusty Cogs

Postby darkman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:26 pm

At 26m's wide this buildng will look like a match stick. The dimensions dont seem to fit. How are they going to twist it with such a narrow width and within 130m's by 45 degree's? I dont believe thats even practical. Expect larger and taller structure IMHO higher then 150m's. Could an architect comment on this?:rolleyes:
darkman

Postby malec » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:29 am

^^ That's only a 5 to 1 ratio, nothing compared to some being built around the world at 10 to 1 height to width ratio or more. The fordham spire in chicago goes through a 360 degree twist and is around 500m tall. That gives 90 degrees every 125m
malec

Postby cokedrinker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 am

yep, its a similar footprint to trump tower, ny, which rises to 270m or so.

Off Topic - the highest slenderness ratio i have come across is 11:1 for trump tower,... i've read that 12:1 is considered the upper limit for buildings (that was in a book published 15yrs ago). Has anyone come across any higher slenderess ratios? How high can we go, would say a 15:1 ratio be possible?
cokedrinker

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland