Cherry Orchard

Cherry Orchard

Postby burge_eye » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:57 pm

450 million euro, 25 acre, new town planned for Cherry Orchard adj Wheatfield prison

The scheme will include 1,723 residential units with 1/3 of this social and affordable. A further 550 S&A units are to be built on a series of existing "anti-social" open areas

In addition there will be offices + shops (250,000 sqft total), cinema, swimming pool, sports amenities and a railway station (Kildare line).

8 separate architect and town planning firms drew up the scheme for over 8000 people. 7 acres are set aside for Cherry orchard United (!)

The sheme will revolve around a main street - Central Park Avenue (Puh-leeze) with a market at one end and the railway station will be dominated by a 40 storey glass tower

Certainly can't fault them for doing things half-arsed!
burge_eye

Re: Cherry Orchard

Postby Rockflanders » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:09 pm

On the ball as always...
Rockflanders

Postby KarenS » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:19 pm

Am I reading this correctly: 8,000 people in 25 acres or 320 per acre?

Where will they all park?
KarenS

Postby burge_eye » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:35 pm

KarenS wrote:Am I reading this correctly: 8,000 people in 25 acres or 320 per acre?

Where will they all park?

It doesn't mention parking funnily enough, though I'd imagine a very big basement will be dug. The article is a little unclear but my reading of it is that the 1723 units will be on the 25 acre site (69 per acre is not hugely excessive, disregarding the area used up by other uses) with the further 550 being on adjacent lands.
burge_eye

Postby jackwade » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:34 pm

The sheme will revolve around a main street - Central Park Avenue (Puh-leeze) with a market at one end and the railway station will be dominated by a 40 storey glass tower

Any more info on the tower burge_eye? I assume its residential. Where did you get this article from?
jackwade

Postby PVC King » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:49 pm

I saw the article in the paper,

I am impressed, although there will have to be significant improvements in the Dublin Rail network for this type of scheme to be fully sucessful. I am really looking forward to seeing images of the tower, it will make such a difference detracting attention from the industrial fittings that currently dominate the Dublin 10 skyline.
PVC King

Postby burge_eye » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:52 pm

jackwade wrote:Any more info on the tower burge_eye? I assume its residential. Where did you get this article from?

Today's Irish Times. no more info than that I'm afraid.

26 trains a day both directions so Diaspora makes a good point

Interesting place to live tho - Park West one side, Wheatfield Prison on the other. Between a crock and a hard place? (sorry)
burge_eye

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:57 am

burge_eye wrote:Today's Irish Times. no more info than that I'm afraid.

26 trains a day both directions so Diaspora makes a good point

Interesting place to live tho - Park West one side, Wheatfield Prison on the other. Between a crock and a hard place? (sorry)

Thats right,

26 trains a day to Heuston compares very badly to Dart or the maynooth lines. the 79 just isn't appealing enough to lure people out of their cars
PVC King

Postby tommyt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Central Park plaza??? aw come on, they could come up with a better name than that.Thought the corpo had pple that vetted street/place names these days..... will probably get a gobbledeygook Irish translation n' all.I'm sure there must be someone worthy from the locality for he street to be named after or something historically relevant
tommyt

Postby TLM » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:06 pm

I agree! These American or British sounding placenames are usually really awful and inappropriate! Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?
TLM

Postby Mob79 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:28 pm

maybe plant some cherry blosoms and call it the cherry orchard! wo thats crazy talk.
Mob79

Postby GregF » Mon May 09, 2005 4:31 pm

TLM wrote:I agree! These American or British sounding placenames are usually really awful and inappropriate! Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?

How about ''the Backers'' ......our colloqial name for the fields that were once here!
(The fields were at the back of the Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard housing estate)

Was in Bennigans pub of Park West yesterday......Temple Bar and IFSC comes to the suburbs of Dublin.
GregF
Old Master

Postby JPD » Tue May 10, 2005 1:53 am

GregF wrote:How about ''the Backers'' ......our colloqial name for the fields that were once here!
(The fields were at the back of the Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard housing estate)

Was in Bennigans pub of Park West yesterday......Temple Bar and IFSC comes to the suburbs of Dublin.

What about West out inb Blanchardstown a bit like Birmingham comes to Dublin, Birmingham Alabama that is
JPD

Postby Papworth » Wed May 11, 2005 3:43 pm

Why not use a name long established name in Bally-er - the good old Californian Hills !!...where Dinty Dunne Ned Marlow and Peadar Nolan rode their horses ( Apache style) into the sunset after rounding up any scholars found making their way home from St. John's Seco'
Papworth

Postby moore14188 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:47 pm

I have no more fields to play in, I am a resident aof gallanstown not cherry orchard !!Down With Rita & Martha!!
I recently came across the new scheme it is an absolute disgrace
They are planning to take away every single field in cherry orchard
The bar field will be halfed, now we can play football in the soggy part which has been destroyed by
motorbikes and anti-social behaviour
It is now longer i sight for green but a sight for grey and glass
Already under construction and my half acre field is gone AND END TO GOOD TIMES
HALLOWEEN WILL BE A BORE NO MORE FIELDS
moore14188

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 pm

Construction finally started on the Park West / Cherry Orchard town centre train station two weeks ago, with a construction time of 42 weeks approx.

Not sure if this also signals the start of work on the 'town centre' & 40 storey tower, which is to be sited adjacent to the new station.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm

I hope so; if ever an area needed a landmark tower to attract inward investment this is it
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 am

no dispute there PVC, I've never come across a render of this proposed tower (and i have looked !) some reservations about the height, depending on final spec etc. 40 stories would make it the tallest in the city, no ? (given all that is proposed elsewhere).
Peter Fitz

Postby EIA340600 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Accorcing to SkyScrapernews It is to be 122m in height.So yes if it were built it would be the tallest in Dublin.For a while at least.(Actually if it were built it would be for an age unfortunately)haha
EIA340600

Postby pippin101 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 pm

EIA340600 wrote:Accorcing to SkyScrapernews It is to be 122m in height.So yes if it were built it would be the tallest in Dublin.For a while at least.(Actually if it were built it would be for an age unfortunately)haha

122m in a suburb would be enough to kill it stone dead.

It would look very dramatic from the M50 at night though.
pippin101

Postby EIA340600 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Any news on this.A render even?
EIA340600

Return to Ireland