'Irish House Designs'

Re: 'Irish House Designs'

Postby Frank Taylor » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:12 pm

Like it or not, this style of housing is the current Irish vernacular. If extreme conservationism survives as an ideology, these houses will eventually be listed and become objects of magical worship just like every other housing style over 100 years old. I have no doubt that one day people will look lovingly at fat cracked, yellowing PVC windowframes and consider how best to sensitively restore them to their former white shiny glory.

When TP refers to 'design quality' is he referring to form or function? If he is making a comment on the aesthetic qualities of irish versus UK bungalows he must know that these opinions are purely subjective and likely to change over time. As Irish people choose to buy these houses, they must believe they are attractive and well designed. While you and I disagree you can't argue as there is no accounting for taste.
Frank Taylor

Postby GrahamH » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:58 pm

A good point. The domestic architecture of today is without doubt the new vernacular - something Phil raised before.
And by and large people do like what they're getting - complaints about developments today relate to house size, or local facilities - not design.

It's only when your eyes are opened to the 'other side', dare I say the 'reality' of it all, that one's views completely change.
Reflected I think with the PVC issue and notable even on this site - when people realise the damage PVC does, or come across the alternatives to the product for new-build, they are generally sickened from that point on anytime they see the stuff.

To begin with you notice it on your neighbour's house for the first time, then the next house, and the next, then you venture into town and it hits you like a hammer - oh no, oh God, it's everywhere! :)
I often wish that shaft of light from heaven had never decended on me - could be happily walking around now with my eyes wide shut :)

The same applies for domestic development design, and architecture on a much broader level.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Classy eh?

€800 is all it costs to inflict it on the landscape

It also seems that irishhousedesigns.com has become http://www.irishhousedesigns.net
PVC King

Postby Bren88 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:47 pm

Love the way the ground floor plan on that link has no front door. ;)
Bren88

Postby PVC King » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Why let an access problem get in the way of turning a fast buck?
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:35 pm

http://www.irishhousedesigns.com/

http://www.irishhousedesigns.net/

It looks like the curse of Lehmans has struck
PVC King

Previous

Return to Ireland