Cows Lane - Gateway to Chinatown

Cows Lane - Gateway to Chinatown

Postby JackHack » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:56 pm

Given all the complaints from the businness owners of the area, that footfall etc is poor. It is also plain to see that this important area of central Dublin has no street life and is souless. It has had time to prove itself already.

With talk of a sculpture at the Dame St./Cows Lane junction, I'd like to propose the classic Chinese Gate, which signals the entrace to China town in cities worldwide.

If this area were to be designated chinatown, the tourists would track it dowm as they do worldwide. Let the Chinese at it and they will make it work. There's an ever growning sizeable community in the city, but yet without a focus, let's give them one.

Chinatowns are relatively quiet in the evenings and don't have the rowdy factor. This would differenciate it somewhat from the rest of temple bar and keep it relatively resident friendly.

Cows Lane, Dublins China town.. anyone for 'Dim Sum'?
JackHack

Postby phil » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:10 pm

Normally China Towns within Cities have developed naturally over time and then the powers that be have tried to make them somewhat official. I am not sure if it would be a good idea to try and create one. Areas within cities that develop naturally are normally more full of life than ones which have been designated as having a certain status.
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:29 pm

and is that not a bit racist especially in our current p.c. police state.
FIN

Postby notjim » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:48 pm

china town will develop to the immeadiate west of capel steet is my guess, it has a supply of cheap retail space and is near to the big chinese population centre of smithfield. cows lane isn't really suitable.

new millenium on south king street has the best dim sum btw
notjim

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:10 pm

Capel St (plus westerly environs) is already Dublin's Chinatown!

Isn't it a bit too edgy to officially designate what is essentially a "ghetto" by errecting a gate in Cows Lane - OK Asian people please concentrate yerselves here!

In any case why should Dublin copy what other cities have, I've seen enough bloody Chinatown gates. Why not something bold and original?
d_d_dallas

Re: Cows Lane - Gateway to Chinatown

Postby Yixian » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Something more original than the cliché gate would be nice, but I do agree that the city should try and designate at least a small area as the official "chinatown" with chinese language on the signs etc.

But what about something like a "polish town"? Polish restaurants, grocers, butchers and street food with polish language signs and polish style street decor. Why not celebrate the large ethnic populations that are more unique to Dublin?

But yeah this is definitely an area the city should focus on imo.
Yixian

Return to Ireland