A Contemporary Irish House

A Contemporary Irish House

Postby alan d » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:39 pm

Everyone seems to agree that the bungalow is a blight on the rural landscape of Ireland but can anyone think of good examples of new single houses that are unequivocally contemporary but still "traditional"....like Paul Keogh's Holiday Home's in Galway
( I think)
alan d

Postby phil » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:50 pm

Alan, there are nice examples of the types of houses you are talking about in Kinsale Co. Cork. Unfortunatly I am unable to remember the name of them at the moment.
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:58 pm

What about the weekend house by John Dorman in Ballyconneely or house by McGarry Nieanaigh in Kingscourt Co. Cavan anyone seen these in the flesh?

Thanks Phil, by the way
alan d

Postby roskav » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:47 pm

pics of john dorman's house on http://www.roskavanagh.com... last plug Paul! Promise!
roskav

Postby garethace » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:36 pm

I think 'bumping' is the web-savy term for it Ros. :)

Written 'bump', and repeated as desiring to get the effect you need.

Brian.
garethace

Postby alan d » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:48 am

Take it that's a " no " then, Lads?

Crikey, it's worse than I thought.

Thanks roskav......some great images. If we ever get anything in Sligo built I'll know who to get to do the photographs.
alan d

Postby roskav » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:57 am

check out the "in-between house" dominic stevens.... bump bump bump
roskav

Postby FIN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:15 pm

there is a lot of shit to be honest alan. for good stuff then maybe the better parts of galway. ie barna. i know of a few but don't know names or anything like that. friend of mine has designed a very nice one at the moment. don't know if it's getting built but he drew it out for me one evening while making sure the guinness in a local establishment was fit for human consumption. his concept and general treatment of the spaces was very good. well i thought anyway so can't wait for it to be built. other than that west coast of mayo, there are a few houses springing up there that are interesting. don't know if u call them traditional. one actually by the county architect i think.
FIN

Postby alan d » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:40 pm

Our client in Sligo FIN, who would like us to build a house, is unsure about the strictly modern building that I posted previously and would prefer something more "traditional"

Now that's something we might have difficulty with though I've always liked Paul Keogh's Holiday Homes.

Pared design, looks like it's well detailed but still has been influenced by rural buildings........just wondered if there were any more like it?
alan d

Postby FIN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:43 pm

disaster.....yeah! that's a toughie... traditioinal is basically bungalows now... and he/she could have picked it from one of those terrible publications...plan-a-home etc....i'll look into it 4 u...and get back probably on monday
FIN

Postby garethace » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:29 pm

[font=times new roman]Open Home Floor Plans Can Breed Too Much Togetherness
"Great Rooms" and other shared spaces are being replaced by more walls and private retreats.[/font]

"After two decades of pushing the open floor plan--where domestic life revolved around a big central space and exposed kitchens gave everyone a view of half the house -- major builders and top architects are walling people off. They're touting one-person "Internet alcoves," locked-door "away rooms" and his-and-her offices on opposite ends of the house. The new floor plans offer so much seclusion, they're "good for the dysfunctional family," says Gopal Ahluwahlia, director of research for the National Association of Home Builders."

http://www.planetizen.com/news/item.php?id=12711

[font=times new roman]I mean, just considering the rise in popularity of home entertainment solutions, multimedia, fabulous flat panel displays and the http://www.... will that change how we see/design our living spaces?[/font]

Like in the 1980s, the cool thing was to start 'knocking' walls all over the place.... will the opposite happen now, with people making lots of little private cells?

Brian O' Hanlon.
garethace

Return to Ireland