The Parade and Dame St

The Parade and Dame St

Postby blue » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:39 pm

I watched a bit of Dublin’s St Patrick's Day coverage on TV and thought Dame St looked great.

There were some great shots from the ground with the Central Bank towering background in the (looking well in the sunlight). Long shots of the parade snaking back to Christchurch and the odd sneaky peek of Trinity and Bank of Ireland.

I think they should continue to use Dame St. when covering it in years to come. It’s a far more interesting backdrop than O'Connell St.
blue

Postby GrahamH » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:51 pm

The Central Bank looked great, pity College Green wasn't included as well for the televised section, aside from that one 'sneaky shot'!
That lovely block of Georgians opposite the entrance to Sth Great Georges St looked fantastic, almost made the place look like a Georgian city!
The only problem was that Dame Street was in complete shadow, with only the Bank and top storey of the buildings sunny, whereas Westmoreland was ablaze last year (and obviously this year, only we didn't see it!)

O' Connell Bridge/Westmoreland St looked really good last year, it was just a pity the Ballast Office is as crappy as it is considering how prominant it was. Have to say I prefered this location.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby emf » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:05 pm

Hurrah for the widestreets comission, I really love that building on the corner of Sth Gr Georges St and Dame St (Phillips Shop)!
emf

Postby anto » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:10 pm

they really need to remove the trees obscuring the view of Trinity looking down Dame Street. Can Just see the Green Party chaining themselves to the trees!!
anto

Postby PVC King » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:41 pm

Originally posted by anto
they really need to remove the trees obscuring the view of Trinity looking down Dame Street.

I agree although it affects the view from Grafton St much more.

A master plan for College Green up to City Hall along the lines of the O'Connell St document with private sector execution would be most welcome. :)

Special mention must go to the girl from the Amazonas (something or other) group in the Bikini. Brazillian in spirit and movement but German in grit. A rare combination ;)
PVC King

Postby shaun » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:47 pm

Graham,

glad to see you have been won over by the charms of the Central bank.
shaun

Postby GrahamH » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:18 am

I know not of what you speak ;)

Great building, wrong location.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby blue » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:13 am

Graham,

Point taken about the shadow on Dame St. and to an international audience Westmorland St, O'Connell Bridge and street are more recognisable I suppose.

Diaspora,

Agree with you on both points.
blue

Return to Ireland