Building on...

Building on...

Postby Griffin » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:45 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but since (I think) most of you are all architects anyway, it can't hurt...

Was talking last night about the possibility of extending the house in a couple of years & ideally would like to add on a double storey extention.

The purpose of this is to add a smallish (approx 14 x 12) room downstairs, but more importantly to make the master bedroom larger & facilitate the addition of an ensuite & expanding the bathroom.

We'd also like to add a pitched roof to this to facilitate the future conversion of the attic.

In addition to this there's other work that we'd like to get done around the house, sockets moved to modern height (they're currently in the skirting), skirtings replaced, walls replastered, wiring upgraded etc...

Now I've no ideas where to start on doing something like this, planning permission, costs, plans etc.

Anyone done something like this before ? Any tips/approx costs etc ?

It may not happen this year, but it's a toss up between doing this & moving & if I have to move (again) & fork out another €20k odd in stamp duty I think I'll scream...
Griffin

Postby StephenC » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:48 pm

Aaah you'll have to pay them for this kind of advice!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Griffin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:23 pm

so it seems... their silence is deafening
Griffin

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:15 am

i feel so cheap griffin. so cheap it hurts. i'm gonna set HI on ya. now scram!!!

:)
sw101

Re: Building on...

Postby PVC King » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:28 pm

Originally posted by Griffin
It may not happen this year, but it's a toss up between doing this & moving & if I have to move (again) & fork out another €20k odd in stamp duty I think I'll scream...

There is one way around the Stamp duty bill, buy a site in the country for less than 150k in your wifes name.

Then construct a house on your site in the middle of nowhere. It can cost any amount as all construction cost is exempt from stamp duty.

You were right to ask for advice as you now know that you need to pay for such advice. :)
PVC King

Return to Ireland