Public House - design eras

Public House - design eras

Postby Zap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:58 pm

I was reading the piece on the site regarding Michael Scott's work during the Emergency years (WW2). Apparently he worked designing pub interiors - do any of these pub interiors exist and where would they be?
Zap

Postby Zap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:06 pm

Also - I have a question regarding good examples of different pub design eras. For example (and all my examples relate to Dublin):

- Welcome Inn on Parnell St. I'd say is very much 1970's with its plastic cushioned seating , wallpaper design etc
- Grogans on South William St. is 1950's
- Cleary's on Amiens St. as early 20th century
- Zanzibar on Bachelors Walk as 1990's over the top Celtic Tiger superpub

These are all just guesses but I wonder is there a classification for popular pub interior designs over the decades and if so, what would be the best examples of such designs.
Zap

Postby PVC King » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:06 pm

J O'Connell in Portebello is a most interesting Dublin Pub. It has one of the best traditional shopfronts in the City and about 90% of its interior is a mish-mash of about 150 years mainly in bad taste.

What I love about the place is the complete diversity of people and decor. Up to renovation 5 years ago they had the tackiest 1970's seats. It has been gentrified since but it still has a feel of being old but you wouldn't know which period it's from. :)
PVC King

Return to Ireland