Luas running after 12am

Postby PVC King » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:42 pm

Quote "How much has the value of their houses increased because of their proximity to the Luas."

Not very much, Because it already had a huge centrality premium embedded due to its a, Centrality and b, proximity to the Four Courts.

That would be a very valid argument if it were another kilometre or two away or if the system actually connected with the Dublin 2 office district.

It is widely accepted that the DART line has greatly benifited property values in places like Raheny and Shankhill. But how much effect has it had on Westland row vs Adealide Rd?
PVC King

Postby emf » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:49 pm

I'd suspect that an extra few K would be tacked on to the asking price!

Although I do agree I did feel sorry for whoever lives in those cottages between the Four Courts and Capel St. I hope they all have net curtains.

I remember going up in that glass lift in Smithfield a couple of years ago. We were all standing gazing out as it passed up by the windows of Chief O' Neills hotel when suddenly we were face to face with a poor girl undressing in one of the bedrooms. I dunno who was more embarrassed!!
emf

Postby PVC King » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:54 pm

Quote "I'd suspect that an extra few K would be tacked on to the asking price!"

Residential auctioneers will try anything and too often we as consumers let them away with it
PVC King

Postby emf » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:56 pm

Too true I'm afraid!
emf

Postby PVC King » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:06 pm

I feel quite strongly about the unconnected nature of the LUAS system. I live about 200 metres from Line B about 300 metres from the proposed Charlemount stop.

It is absolutely useless to me as it doesn't connect to anywhere that you would go to regularly and couldn't walk to. Many evenings I have come back from Belfast arriving into Connolly and said 'why doesn't the bloody LUAS connect?'

That is why I was determined to thrash this particular thread, it was an attempt to backslap Breanann for considering the potential for luas running later than existing services.

It should run late but it should also have been running late nights and not five years late.

It should operate late in a connected and integrated system.

It should be operated late by either Dublin Bus and Irish Rail, who would run it late even if it loses money. On the basis of societal benifit.

How can the state transport company be expected to operate at financial equilibrium or better if they are left only with loss making routes? :rolleyes:
PVC King

Postby Barry Long » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:34 pm

The solution was obvious: Line B should have terminated in Connolly via Dawson Street, College Street, Pearse Street and Tara Street.

This would've had the added benefit of ridding the city of cars traveling South-bound to Stephen's Green, thus freeing up the historical/tourist quarter. It being Ireland, there was no political will to do this so we're left the LUAS shambles.

That said, I don't think it's vital that the lines interconnect. The common assumtion - especially in the media - is that the LUAS is a 'train' stoping at 'stations'

Sorry, guys. It's a humble tram. Tram/Rail interconnections - yes. Tram/Bus - yes. Tram/Tram - no need. It's like suggesting a connection between the M50 and the Cork Ring Road - just because they're both dual carraigways.! Absolutely illogical.
Barry Long

Postby Barry Long » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:38 pm

Diaspora, you should be on a bicycle. There is no need for you to be hogging public transport when you're a ten minute pedal from Connolly.

You should be crying out for a bike lane to take you to Connolly quickly; you don't need a tram. Anyone who lives in the central zone should be on a bike.
Barry Long

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:47 am

luas is not a shambles, a connector down dawson street is still entirely possible ... relax on the knocking, its a start. And yeah there could have been so many other long term decisions made, but the politician's inaction is often just a result of the publics 'nimby 'objections ....
Peter Fitz

Postby domosullivan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:38 am

Go down there yourself; take a look at the track alignment (beside the footpaths adjacent to people's front doors) and it will dawn on you that the trams will indeed make life intolerable for residents of this section of Line A

Hi, I'm a long time reader of this forum and first time contributor.

This Luas scaremongering is becoming ridiculous. I live in Melbourne where trams are an every day part of life.
A tram passes by right my house with a request stop outside my front door. Trams start running at 4:40am and finish at 1am. These trams are much older than those Dublin are getting, but even so the noise is very inoffensive and everyone on the route young and old wants them there because they provide an excellent and reliable service. Why will Dubliners be any different?
Additionally from what I can make out (number of lines aside) the design of the Dublin system will be far superior to the system here where stops are too frequent (100m in places) and the trams doors are not at platform level.
Wait until it starts and then ask those people along Line A if their lives are intolerable...I expect they will be the same as everyone else in Dublin and will be demanding extensions to the network ASAP.
domosullivan

Postby PVC King » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Quote "but the politician's inaction is often just a result of the publics 'nimby 'objections"

In general I agree Peter,

In the case of the routing decisions on the Tallaght Line you are spot on.

But the entire re-examination of the entire process in 1997 by O'Rourke was motivated by god knows what. They had already got the consultants reports, but they needed more consultants reports. LUAS could have been operational a full three years earlier i.e. 2002

Thats not scaremongering thats real politik something sadly lacking at present.

As for Breannan he was quoted last week as saying 'I have more confidence in the deadlines now than I had a year ago'

Another Banana skin is just waiting for a comment like that.
PVC King

Postby JJ » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:33 pm

On a recent visit to South County Dublin planning office I was intrigued to see the original Light Rail order drawings on display at the planning office public reception which showed the full LUAS scheme as envisaged by the engineers complete with connection through Dawson Street and College Green and one depot. It stuck me that we employ professional engineers and designers to prepare schemes then end up with people like Mary O'Rourke and Seamus Brennan making politically motivated decisions that make no sense adn end up costing us dearly.

Yet we never learn and BTW don't expect the Metro to be any different !
:mad:

On a lighter note and just to cheer myself up here's a nice picture of the Tram crossing the Nine Arches. There's a sight to see !!!

JJ
JJ

Postby PVC King » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:45 pm

Fantastic image JJ

I like Peter also hope that Dawson St/ College Green is reconsidered. But back to the late night theme it would appear to contravene government policy what with earlier pub closing and now this on rte.ie:

"Killybegs fishermen angry at Govt order

February 20, 2004

(09:37) Fishermen in Killybegs have demanded the withdrawal of what the Chief Executive of their organisation describes as 'a daft order' by the Department of the Marine.

The Department has ordered fishermen not to unload catches at night, which Sean O'Donoghue of the Killybegs Fishermen's Organisation, says is an incredible way of making life difficult for fishermen.

As well as the Killybegs fleet, boats from several ports around the coast are landing catches of herring, mackerel and horse mackerel, into the Donegal port.

Traditionally they have been able to land catches around the clock, but the Department of the Marine has issued an order limiting landing to the hours of between 8am and midnight. It says this is due to EU regulations.

Mr O'Donoghue disputes this. He says the EU requires catches weighed, but does not restrict the hours of landing, which he blames on industrial problems within the Department for which fishermen are being penalised."

My buddy Mick in Killybegs will not be happy
PVC King

Postby ewanduffy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:02 pm

Originally posted by JJ
On a lighter note and just to cheer myself up here's a nice picture of the Tram crossing the Nine Arches. There's a sight to see !!!
JJ

Amusing to hear 98FM state (incorrectly) that the tram passing over the viaduct was the first non steam train to run across.
ewanduffy

Previous

Return to Ireland