McCullough Mulvin and the Architectural press...

McCullough Mulvin and the Architectural press...

Postby BTH » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:22 pm

Just noticed that McCullough Mulvin have been getting a lot of good press in the Architect's Review lately... The Extension to the Waterford Public Library looks excellent with some of the best concrete work I've seen in a long time, and the UCD Laboratory Building in this months issue is a little gem. Its amazing to hear the reaction that some of my peers in college here in Scotland have when they see stuff like this published - That can't be in Ireland, it's too good etc...

The question is, does Irish Architecture get enough international press? Personally I believe that what's needed to really show off the good stuff that's been going on over the past ten years or so is a proper, well illustrated and informative book on contemporary Irish architecture. Theres more than enough genuinely world class stuff that should be documented in every college library...

Does anyone agree? Or does anyone think that the more well known practices - O'Donnell Tuomey, McCullough Mulvin, De Blacam Meagher, Grafton and so on - are saving up their projects for their own publications in the future...?
BTH

Postby space_invader » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:42 am

I'd say that Irish Architecture fairs pretty well in the press. Certainly better than Scottish architecture does, which is well covered locally but virtually invisible on an international scale.

And to an outsider there is a sense of a lively cultural scene associated with the architecture currently being produced in Ireland.

And while I can imagine your fellow Scots students are surprised at good design coming from Ireland, that can be ascribed to basic teenage ignorance - most professionals in Scotland are well aware of the quality in much Irish architecture.
space_invader

Postby alan d » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:49 am

Well I'm glad you said it S.I. I'm fed up with bleating on about how good Irish Architecture is at the moment, to the Irish.

BTH............every year the Irish Architectural Review published by the RIAI gets better as does the Irish Architecture Awards book published by the AAI.

Also get a hold of 20th Century Architecture Ireland published by Prestel, fer fecks sake.

Do you think I contribute to this site because I've nothing better to do?
alan d

Postby alan d » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:14 pm

.........and another feckin thing, the Architectural Review is pish at the moment.

Good if you're selling a slipshod shed in stainless steel for shifty shitsu's in Siberia but otherwise out of fucking touch.

Lift yer head up mate :)
alan d

Postby shadow » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:48 pm

Alan,

the 20th Century Architecture Ireland book was interesting from what was left out as what was included. Irish architecture is split along a number of particular factions which does not foster openness. As for those getting published the real thing is a different story with works with both architecturally and physical problems. Whatever about a picture being the equivallent of 1000 words, architects get to pick the picture and therefore get to choose the 1000 words. Not everything is as it seems.
shadow

Postby BTH » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:21 pm

Oh don't worry Alan, my architectural taste dosent revolve around what the AR publishes every month... Amazing the conclusions some people will jump to :)
I agree fully that as a publication it's pretty weak right now - completely lacking in any meaningful critical writing and seemingly without any agenda other than publishing as many pretty pictures as it can each month...
The publications mentioned, the Irish Architectural Review and the Irish Architecture Awards are good on a purely parochial level - the former suffers from a touch of the AR syndrome - lots of pretty pictures but not much else, whilst the Awards book is the opposite - too many opinions about schemes and not enough visual detail.
20th Century Architecture Ireland if a fine book but stops just when things get interesting - the last project mentioned is O'Donnell Tuomey's Blackwood Golf club if my memory serves me...
None of these serves the purpose I suggested - to collect together a definitive record - visual, constructional and critical - of the best schemes that contemporary Irish Architecture has to offer. Perhaps in this way those that havent had the access to journals and magazines over the past fifteen years or so would be able to get a better awareness of what's on offer.
BTH

Postby alan d » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:15 pm

what......... me worry?

Now that I've at last figured out how to add those funny little faces to postings I'm happier than a pig in s***

:)

Shadow, every country has architects who do'nt see eye to eye. There are people here as S.I will tell you, that if I had two bullets and three architects to aim at I would shoot twice......... just to make sure.
alan d

Postby Devin » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:16 am

I think McCullough Mulvin are overrated. The new Trinity library got glowing reviews, but the view of it from Frederick Street is awful! Just a lump!
Devin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:18 am

Well yes Devin, they may well be. But I say let's have a bit of overrated(nes) directed to Irish and indeed Scottish practices for a change.

Tell me are Alsop, Hadid, Koolhas, Herzog and de Mueron and the funny wee fella with the Corb glasses and the black leather jacket naturally geniuses ?
alan d

Postby space_invader » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:55 pm

and there is nowhere on the planet where there is a 'fair' system of media coverage and inclusion into so-called elite clubs.

What I've noticed (now that I work in the press) is that those architects who talk to the press, well, their work is published and discussed. And those that don't develop a dialogue with the media end up with nothing published: and often end up resentful because no-one seems to be interested.

But generally, the interest must come from the 'creative' in the first instance. If you wait for the press to investigate you've already reliquished a degree of control over your work.
space_invader

Return to Ireland