new hotel in cork

new hotel in cork

Postby FIN » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:05 pm

i can't find the picture of it but it doesn't look at all over adventureous. in fact i call it bland. the pic was in the indo yesterday but i can't find it on their website. but here's the article for it.

Plans sealed for Cork's 'City Quarter'

CONTRACTS have been signed for the largest city-centre construction project to be undertaken in Cork by property developers Howard Holdings and PJ Hegarty & Son.

A new 200-bedroom 4-star hotel for Clarion Hotels will form part of Howard Holdings €100m "City Quarter" on a prime riverside location at Lapps Quay, adjacent to Cork city centre.

City Quarter is configured in two linked, six-storey buildings, comprising, in addition to the Clarion Hotel, 7,435 sq m of third-generation office accommodation, approximately 1,860 sq m of ground-floor commercial space and an international conference centre.

The project also involves the creation of the city's first boardwalk.

The City Quarter project is the flagship development for the Cork Docklands Project. This evolved from the Cork Area Strategic Plan commissioned by Cork City and County Councils and envisages a comprehensive redevelopment of over 400 acres of the docklands area.

The master plan for the docklands will see a range of land uses incorporating over 500,000 sq m of new non-residential uses, including offices, third level campus, cultural and leisure facilities, 6,000 residential units, new parks and marinas.

Greg Coughlan, managing director of Howard Holdings, said that the Clarion Hotel project, taken in conjunction with other elements of City Quarter, would create a unique infrastructure in Cork city.

"City Quarter is not only the first development in the Cork Docklands project but provides an integrated complex of top class contemporary facilities in the city centre," Mr Coughlan stated.

"The project also addresses serious deficits in terms of availability of hotel accommodation, conference facilities and third generation office accommodation in the city centre."

The new hotel represents a €40m expansion for the Clarion brand in Ireland and will complement its two existing flagship properties at the IFSC and in Limerick. The new hotel will create 120 jobs in Cork bringing total employment in Ireland to over 300.

Clarion Hotels is the contemporary premium brand of Choice Hotels Ireland and competes in the 4-star plus business/leisure markets
FIN

Postby PVC King » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:35 pm

I can't find any pictures either.

I find two things worrying about it though.

1. The description 'third generation offices' considering fourth generation was already the standard in Dallas by 1980.

2. The description that it was bland, if a city doesn't go hi-spec on waterfront property it doesn't go hi-spec period
PVC King

Postby Blain » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:01 pm

Try here:

http://www.howardholdingsplc.com/hh/dev/irl/cm6ph.html

When I saw you use the word "bland" FIN for some reason I immediately thought "Scott Tallon Walker" - I have no idea why that was! So I quickly checked their website and lo and behold:

http://www.stw.ie/projects/project.asp?id=170

Bland and STW, who would've thunk it, eh?
Blain

Postby ewanduffy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:31 am

Originally posted by Blain
Bland and STW, who would've thunk it, eh?

Looking at the refurbishment job they did in the reception of Wilton Park House, I could well believe it.
ewanduffy

Postby FIN » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:35 am

the hand drawings make it look a bit better but those computer images are shit.
they are big enough now to try some radical design and would probably get away with some.... i know they have built their company on such a style but jeez... time to branch out.
FIN

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm

There's a thread here from a while back that has images of the development (haven't the time to go look - sorry). The rendering on Howard Holdings wouldn't do justice to any development.
The design is slightly above average compared to alot of IFSC dross. But it's pure STW. The hotel comes off better than the office block next door methinks.
Diaspora - "3rd gen" here is purely real estate agent marketing speak - basically the vast majority of Cork inner city office space is Georgian/Victorian vintage with some 1960's sprinkled about. There's a lack of airconditioned "modern" accomodation inside the city core. In any case you should see what's going up next door to this development - SHUDDER. This is solid gold stuff in comparison.
d_d_dallas

Return to Ireland