'History is the best judge of quality'

Postby phil » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:37 pm

Graham, imagine one day if those infill buildings on the Liffey were listed??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we will be turning in our graves:)
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:48 pm

personally i think the listing of such rubbish is crazy. only good buildings should be listed..eg old churches etc. knock this crap down and provide modern facilities. then in 50/100 years do it again..to keep these crap is just for the sake of keeping it. absolute nonsense.
FIN

Postby phil » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 pm

Fin, there was something in the Irish Times today saying that Dublin City Council are going to remove 500 buildings from the protected structures list.
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:28 pm

about bloody time. hopefully the rest of the co. co will follow and quickly...
FIN

Postby PVC King » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:37 pm

I noted with interest that Arthur Griffiths house is one of those that they are proposing to 'de-list'

Not to say that everything listed should be listed either. But I think it is a good thing that the list is revisited every five years.

I remember during the Spencer Dock enquiry that Campions Bar on North Wall Quay was a 'protected structure' anyone who knew it would know that it shouldn't have been.
As part of a terrace yes but alone and in the condition it was in, not a chance.
PVC King

Postby phil » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:59 pm

I sometimes wonder if listing makes much of difference. For example I recently saw a house in the middle of a listed terrace being converted from a residential house into offices in a few days. The garden was destroyed with parking bollards etc and all remaining grass was removed. Should this have been subject to planning?
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:10 pm

I am not a great fan of over-rigid zoning myself when it comes to a strict line on the conversion from residential to office.

I think Wellington Rd in Ballsbridge is living proof that offices and houses can be mixed in mature areas.

The parking issue is the one problem in the conversion matrix. As any typical victorian/georgian house could usually accomodate 10-15 office workers easily.

It is for that reason that the planning authority should be consulted.

Gardens should not be converted from amenity to carparking without consultation. The local planning authority would be best placed to decide.
PVC King

Postby FIN » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:07 pm

it needed planning for a change of use from residential to commercial/office.
FIN

Postby phil » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:13 pm

Thanks Fin. I am tempted to get on the case about that one.
phil
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland