carlisle pier shortlist

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:10 pm

I can see a connection with the context and the town in Hennegan. Peng that I certainly cannot see in either Libeskind's or Skidmore's.

I think there is a story attached to the green base and that interests me, Diaspora.
alan d

Postby FIN » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:11 pm

hennigan_peng: the image does look very childish but then again who cares at the end og the day. it's the design that matters. not too sure about the block formats. a close up might reveal something smart.

s/t/w: i actually like this. i know they do this block format a lot but if behind the glass shell they did something interesting then it would be very good. has potential.

libesking: it does look like the shark alan was talking about. it's a very busy building. but i like. internally and how the spaces work that will be the judge. it may start a revolution in dun laoghoire.

skidmore: trying to hard to be gehry without the understanding. if the front of the ship was just a structure that the building was placed behind then we may be talking. has some potential but i don't think should win it.(ok i meant gehry like not like his work itself)

just my little opinion...agree/disagree at will!
FIN

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:17 pm

All the entries need further clarification, I think it is a real pity that the SOM proposal didn't link their drawings better.

I am not sure that Dunlaoire has a very rigid context. It could probably accomodate any one of those designs.

The real question is which one best suited?

It makes a refreshing change having the option to discuss this standard of project
PVC King

Postby phil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:21 pm

I am not sure if that link with the town which is in the Henegen Peng design is realistic or not. It looks a little impossible, but again I am going to have to wait to see the models on Friday.
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:41 pm

Yeah I support you sw101

In my view, if Skidmore's or Libeskind did a pier proposal for Oban, or Margate or Melbourne or Baltimore or Wigan it would look like this.

Got to mean something more to the town. I think
alan d

Postby phil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:50 pm

Originally posted by alan d

Got to mean something more to the town. I think

I agree with you Alan
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:11 pm

it's true it probably fits anywhere in the world. it doesn't take from the design though. and i dunno if it needs to reflect to the town though. sometimes it's best to start again. they want a landmark so why link it? i'm not saying that it has to be different just putting across that something completely different might be the order of the day. a building like this may open people's minds to change/difference. and it's true they need to show more than the images before we can really take each building seriously.
FIN

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:13 pm

Do any of the proposals relate to the existing setting?

I thought the idea was to create a landmark building that would attract attention and create a new focal point.

I don't know any of the other towns listed but I would very much doubt that any of them would have a harbour the size of DunLaoirghe.

By reason of the harbour scale I think that both designs would work well regardless of where the buildings were designed.
PVC King

Postby FIN » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:42 pm

yeah sw101, i think i may have to go with libeskind for the time being. hopefully stw will be able to create some strange shapes in their glass box but i think that is unrealistic unfortunately.
FIN

Postby phil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:17 pm

Diaspora, I think Dun Laoghaire is one of the largest artificial harbours in Europe. It was at one stage anyway, not too sure anymore
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:36 pm

It is certainly the best harbour of its type I've ever seen. Credit must go to the Harbour redevelopment board for the project.

I think that a quality landmark building is an absolute must for Dunlaoirghe. Something to give a leisure bias back to the harbour. Because as it stands it is the Ferry terminal that dominates.

Fair play regardless of which design is selected I am sure that atleast three of the four will win many admirers.

Dunlaoirghe is the real winner
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:41 pm

I can see a connection with the town in the Hennegen Peng and I suppose the Scott Tallon Walker scheme. In proportion and mass and segmentation.

Oh, I'm not saying that it has to mirror the town but it should suggest to you that it is in someway intellectually or physically connected. The town, landscape, seascape, landform should act as stimulus. It is unique.

Sorry lads, but im my view it reduces the standing, quality and rigour of creating a landmark building for a particular place if it could be replicated in any number of locations.
alan d

Postby phil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:36 pm

For what it is worth, here is what the Council set out as being the building they are looking for on the Carlisle Pier.

"Due to the unique importance of the location of the disused Carlisle Pier, it is an objective of the Council, that the redevelopment of this site will result in an exceptional landmark building of international architectural quality that regenerates and enlivens the waterfront. The landmark building must incorporate uses that will bring significant cultural, social,
recreational and economic benefits to the Nation and to Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. The landmark building must include a major public cultural attraction of National importance. The landmark building must provide for significant public accessibility and permeability, with walkways, viewing areas and public spaces throughout. The landmark building should integrate with the immediate built environment and should provide improved accessibility between the development and Dun Laoghaire town centre. The architectural character of the landmark building should be such that the image it portrays would be a reflection of its use and unique maritime setting and become a symbol of both the Nation and Dun Laoghaire."
phil
Old Master

Postby notjim » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:39 pm

i guess from the little i've seen i am attracted to the som and the hennigan-peng because they are the most permiable, all the buildings include public access and public use, but only these two have outdoor open access along the pier.
notjim

Postby shadow » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:28 pm

It should be remembered that the process also included for a development at zero cost to the authority. The cost of redeveloping the pier (significant cost for repair alone) means that all of the schemes are over wrought.

As for the poll, can we have a "none of the above" option?
shadow

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:45 pm

Was there any other entry that you feel should have been included in the shortlist?
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:10 pm

I've actually had to close the poll - over 40 of HP votes come from the same IP - several every few minutes, obv someone is bending the vote....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:13 pm

i think that maybe my office...someone else sent around an internal email saying to vote so everyone logged on at the same time
FIN

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:19 pm

and theyre all voting for HP, very nationalistic of them?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:22 pm

are they!!! hmmm... not my particular choice...how and ever... :-)
FIN

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:23 pm

not mine either....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:24 pm

no asked around..doesn't seem to be us....
FIN

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:37 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:55 pm

they look a hell of a lot better but still not my choice
FIN

Postby emf » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:40 pm

I think they give an unrealistic view of the finished product as they are all effectively aerial shots. It may just look like an ordinary flat faced office block from the ground level!!
emf

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland