carlisle pier shortlist

Postby emf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:06 pm

From The Irish Times.....

Public to get say on plan for Carlisle Pier
Tim O'Brien

Scale models of the four shortlisted proposals for the redevelopment of Dún Laoghaire's Carlisle Pier are to go on public display in the port on Friday.

During the exhibition, visitors will be asked to fill in comment cards indicating their preference and the cards and other submissions will then be assessed and a recommendation made to the harbour board.

The board will also consider the recommendation of a panel of experts and a final decision on the winning project is to be made in March.

Why not all get down to the exhibition and have your say...
I dunno how much sway the publics opinion will have with the judges but I suppose there's no use complaining afterwards if a crowd of conservatives have attended the expo and we end up with a box!!
emf

Postby emf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:09 pm

Sorry that last paragraph was mine!
emf

Postby notjim » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:30 pm

the pictures in the times article are different and show that the som design has a public walk along the roof, which i have to say is really cool.
notjim

Postby phil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:37 pm

Notjim, the picture of the SOM project in the Irish Times is confusing me slightly. It makes it appear as though there is a marina behind it, which there is not. It is very hard for me to explain, but if you look at it closely you will see what I mean. I am not talking about the marina which presently exists on the other side of St. Michaels Wharf, I am talking about the space between the Carlisle Pier and the East Pier. If you look at the photo, the space behind it looks odd. It does not look like what is really there. Maybe the negative for the photo got reversed!?
phil
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:51 pm

your right phil, if you look at the hennigan-peng you can see the backgrounds are mirror images.
notjim

Postby alan d » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:03 pm

Are you suggesting Phil, Skidmore's may not be too familiar with the site. That would explain the ghosted image of St Marks behind their scheme on the website?
alan d

Postby alan d » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:13 pm

http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/index.html

I've been trying to think what the Libeskin proposal reminds me of......it's the shark with the complex in "Finding Nemo"

Very appropriate.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:22 pm

It is an extremely adventurous design.

It would not be unfair to compare it to a shark, but the one quality it has, is that the structure appears to interact with the water very well. Both STW and HP designs feature a plinth design which neither got right.
PVC King

Postby blue » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:41 pm

It also looks like a bow of a boat
blue

Postby alan d » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:48 pm

.........once, while fishing off Inishturk a basking shark past beneath the bow of my boat.

Biggest fucking thing I ever saw.
alan d

Postby phil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:34 pm

It was not my intention to suggest that, but I really cannot make head nor tail of that photo. Where did you see the photo with St Marks in the background? Was it on the SOM web page, because I could not find the project on their webpage, or was it on the Dun Laoghaire Harbour page?
phil
Old Master

Postby phil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:39 pm

Alan, Just looked at the picture on the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Website. Is what you were referring to as St Marks possibly the Town Hall Clock Tower (which is Venetian in its design)?
phil
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:58 pm

Originally posted by alan d
.........once, while fishing off Inishturk a basking shark past beneath the bow of my boat.

Biggest fucking thing I ever saw.
same happened to me off ballycotton. cept my boat was 12 feet long and i swear to god it took 30 seconds for the thing to swim by. hoooooj
sw101

Postby alan d » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 am

I simply think Phil, that Skidmore's proposal as shown on the attached web image is so non site specific that it could indeed be St. Marks in the background.

"Quick shove in the tower, lads"

Is that also the sun setting in the south?

Do ya think sw101, it could have been the same big b***ard? Scary innit?
alan d

Postby alan d » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:10 am

The web image at the start of this thread that is, Phil.
alan d

It's interesting to see...

Postby valentina wong » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:49 am

...that almost all the proposals are a sort of alike. They are ship shapes. Is that a coincidence, or it's just request.
valentina wong

Postby phil » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:50 am

Alan, on closer inspection I think you have a point. The tower is in the completely wrong place and is completely out of scale. I am going to reserve my final judgement, however, until I see the models and get more information on Friday.
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:14 pm

Good idea to wait, Phil. I think also that the Hennigen.Peng scheme must surely be better when you see the full presentation.

Though the Scott Tallon Walker proposals look dull and insensitive to the location, don't know how that can improve by seeing the total presentation, myself.

Ship shapes, eh? for a pier? and a shark? who'd have thought it?
alan d

Postby valentina wong » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:18 pm

when will the presentation be published?
valentina wong

Postby phil » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:55 pm

The models are going on display in the Ferry Terminal in Dun Laoghaire on Friday I think.
phil
Old Master

Postby cajual » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:01 pm

oh my god...

just saw the images...

the SOM design... well, did i miss something, but when did they start copying libeskind? maybe after they lost the WTC..

as for libeskinds It is REPULSIVE. nuff said

STW, never thought i'd say this, but from the renderings it's my favourite. if it was executed well then it could be beatiful, however i have no faith in STW to execute it well.

H.penn, from the baby infants rendering its hard to say whats going on

to be fair, i'm only judging from one image per project, but all signs point to either
a) mediocrity
b) a 'daring, new design statement' which is in fact only a nod to design trends that were fashionable 10 years ago

shame
cajual

Postby PVC King » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:53 pm

I really like the SOM submission and I too would like to see it clarified both in relation to what the outer cladding is and it's relationship with the town hall.

I would hope that the models can give a better feel than a picture from one angle.

But I think both SOM and Liebskinds designs are great and would if they provided access be a very welcome addition both as a recreational amenity and to the built environment.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:12 am

Libeskind's and SOM's proposals could be anywhere, Diaspora. Indeed Skidmore's walk on roof is almost ten years old and a rip off of Piano's copper fronted science centre in Amsterdam.

Cliche, cliche cliche.

Henegan. Peng are the team, despite the poor graphics......... unless of course Ireland and Scotland are more alike than I first thought and you would rather gift it to a celebrity or an international architect third team than the "local" architects.

Be brave....... tell the other two to fuck off and Scott Tallon Walker, hard luck.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:53 am

Looking at Hennigan Peng again it does have a certain quality and I like the materials used on the usable floors.

But the green pediment puts me off it completely, I also don't like the way it appears to be divided into 16 sections.

It is also unclear if the green base is usable or not.

I don't mean to be over critical as it is good and a lot better than most of the other entries I am sure.

I like the SOM & Liebskind submisions be they influenced by a high quality building in Amsterdam or not.
PVC King

Postby sw101 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:07 pm

Bus, can we set up a vote for this?

i for one would support the Heneghan Peng proposal. anyone with me?>
sw101

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland