carlisle pier shortlist

Postby shadow » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:27 pm

Sorry nothing exceptional here from any perspective
shadow

Postby garethace » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:51 pm

Et tu, Brute

what I think, is that the likes of Gehry, Libeskind, Koolhaas and other 'big named architects' having created a very recogniseable form of expression - have basically had to go and trawl about the globe looking for nice old urban settings into which to place there designed objects.

I.e. That the big named architects really do subsist upon that nice prime corner site, on a grand old river, in an historic old urban context, somewhere in Europe or elsewhere, to really become the most fitting 'mantlepiece' for one of their cool looking hand made presentation models.

We as cities around Europe and elsewhere have facilitated these architects with very nice 'mature sites' to build these objects on. You will find a lot less going in the opposite direction, (Europe to America) except perhaps Zaha Hadid attempting to build in Cinncinati city centre or something.

Which is really a 'second prize' for someone who is quite a good architect, but has to travel around the 'hinterlands' and remote outposts of the architectural world in search of things/places to build.

Not discounting that Cinncinati were glad to get a profiled public figure such as Hadid to build in their city - I compare the situation in modern architecture at the moment, to when 'gladiators' were banned in Rome - in the film after that same name.

Architects like Zaha Hadid in that sense have become the 'Russel Crowe Maximus' characters of the empire - striped of their former ranks and busy fighting scraps in the remote colonies of civilisation just to stay alive, without a fitting stage for their talents.

I am thinking here in terms of the Cardiff competition etc, etc, etc. If that had been built, would the world of architecture now be a very different place? Recent signs like the Cairo project are promising I think.
garethace

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:49 pm

Wednesday 4th February 2004

Carlisle Pier Exhibition at Dun Laoghaire Harbour

to extend opening hours due to huge public interest

The Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company today (Wednesday 4th February) announced extended opening hours for the exhibition of proposals to redevelop the derelict Carlisle Pier in the Harbour. Very large numbers have visited the exhibition since it opened on Friday 30th January with over one thousand viewers in a five hour period last Sunday alone.

Four short-listed proposals with visual representations and large scale models are on show in the Ferry Terminal Building in the Harbour. The proposals have been designed by major Irish and international architects to comply with the zoning requirement for the site to have an “exceptional landmark building of international architectural quality”.

The extended opening hours will be:

Thursday 5th February: 11am to 8 pm

Friday 6th February: 11am to 8 pm

Saturday 7th February: 10am to 6pm

Sunday 8th February: 10 am to 6 pm

In response to a number of requests the Harbour Company has also extended the deadline for the receipt of comments and submissions on the redevelopment proposals to Wednesday 18th February.

Admission to the exhibition is free.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:55 pm

EMF in his analysis of the SOM proposal asks the following question

". And what about access for the disabled? This would be almost totally inaccessable for a wheelchair bound person."

Could this really be true?
PVC King

Postby phil » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:06 pm

Yeah, it looks very steep all the way up and looks like it has steps as opposed to it being a ramp. It does not seem very practical. I must go and have another look, as I am not fully sure about it. I honestly think it looks a bit lethal. I would not fancy falling off the top of it!
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:21 pm

PVC King

Postby PVC King » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:21 pm

Computer & Window
PVC King

Postby shadow » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:18 am

shadow

Postby phil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:10 am

Diaspora, I remember stumbling on that a while back. I did not realise it said 'in 1989' as its opening sentence. That would have been before the ferry stopped using it as its docking space. I had no idea this plan went so far back!

Thanks

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:35 pm

It think that must be 1999 as the word Diaspora was not used in an Irish context before Mary Robinson first used it in 1996.

Scary design all the same,

I also note that the status is still 'ongoing'
PVC King

Postby FIN » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:38 pm

looks kinda similiar to their new entry too. concidence??????
FIN

Postby phil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:41 pm

I thought that it was meant to have been 1999 as well but then I looked closer to see that it still has most of the causeway which used to cross over the forecourt of the Royal St. George Y.C in order to bring cars on and off the ferry. By 1999 that was gone and the forecourt for the yacht club had been extended (1997). Still unsure if it is 1989 or 1999 though!
phil
Old Master

Postby phil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:46 pm

Sorry, I have just looked again, even closer and noticed that the STW designed Pavillion is included in that model (the steps are just about visable). So, Diaspora, it must be 1999 as you said.;)
phil
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:48 pm

i thought that libeskind did the design in 1999?
FIN

Postby garethace » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:04 pm

Who it going out there tonight to look at the exhibition? Anyone already been?
garethace

Postby phil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:23 pm

Fin, Libeskind did one in either 2001 or 2002, not too sure.

Garethace, I have been in to it but I think I will go again, maybe this evening.
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:33 pm

I remember Hugh Pearman in 2001 writing in the Irish Times that Dublin now had a chance to trump London by getting a Libeskind project.

What happened, why is it now a competition and why have STW pulled out an earlier design from their bottom drawer?
alan d

Postby garethace » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:21 pm

Originally posted by phil

Garethace, I have been in to it but I think I will go again, maybe this evening.

Always useful - your first impressions aren't always as reliable as one might wish.
garethace

Postby phil » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:03 pm

Alan, I think that STW design is just an old design that happens to still be on their website.
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:10 pm

For the sake of DunLaoire it is lucky that it is only on their website and that the competition process intervened to take it off the agenda.

It is a pathetic design i.e. The 1999 design,

all of the current finalist's designs have significant merit.

I think it proves the benefits of architectural competitions as the finer points of each design can be examined much more thoroughly once direct comparibles exist.

It also proves that all the consortia to this process rejected the 1999 design. :)
PVC King

Postby shadow » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:05 am

Silence, all is silent.... Where are all the comments? The exhibition ended on Sunday. The works only confirmed the shallowness of the approaches. Scary, but SOM looked the strongest and was illiciting the most positive views. Certainly from a massing point of view it deals with the local and Macro issues. Some of the technical submissions were woeful. Also few seemed to consider how appropriate it would be to provide open decked areas in one of the most windy places in Ireland.
shadow

Postby PVC King » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:24 am

Quote "The works only confirmed the shallowness of the approaches"

I too liked SOM but the models did nothing to clarify my two concerns:

1. I think the cladding could be the best ever or the worst ever depending on the materials used.

2. I couldn't ascertain if it was fully complient with disability rights of access to all public areas.

Still all four were better than the Heuston Gate model
PVC King

Postby garethace » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:54 pm

garethace

Previous

Return to Ireland