Lets nuke the computer whiz. . .

Postby sw101 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:14 am

brian i cant make sense of your drawn out rammblings as it is. if you managed to weave a three dimensional multi-stranded layered web of your ramblings i may have to headbutt my computer screen
sw101

Postby alan d » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:20 pm

;)
alan d

Postby sw101 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:02 pm

put that blasted smilie away alan. this is serious. too serious (weight of world on shoulders, garethace beginning to look more and more like straw)
sw101

Postby garethace » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:08 pm

It is basically up to every individual to take the web as seriously as they wish.... but http://www.aceshardware.com/forum is used by a lot of IT managers responsible for million Euro budgets and investment management each year.... so updating awareness and learning is part of their job description.

I find it interesting just how sucessful a format aceshardware message board was, for debating fairly complex IT issues, from all kinds of angles.

What I like about Aceshardware message board so much though, is the shere number of opinions it can accomodate on a single topic.

A sequential message board like this one, generally will only accomodate a couple of fairly familiar posters.... like the people who regularly post here at Archiseek.

While Aceshardware accomodates literally hundreds every week, all posting opinions and creating a virtual melting pot of ideas and thinking about IT.
garethace

Postby sw101 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:16 pm

theres only a few dozen regulars here garethace at most (i've taken to saying it garetacci in my head, pronounced like liberace)
a melting pot would mean a confused mess of ramblings. not fun to try and keep up with. i like the slash and riposte(or re-post) of logical progressive threads. failing that we could end up with a birds nest
sw101

Postby garethace » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:54 pm

Very fair point.

I see where you are coming from now.

Correct, you would end up with something just so totally incomprehensible as to become a complete and absolute joke.

Everyone just conducting their very own private like talk.... that was necessary in aceshardware, because I could be troubleshooting some very obscure and tiny minute difficulty related to MS Windows OS or a new Graphics accelerator board or something.... so it would be really specfic and detailed.

I.e. If someone else ran into a similar problem at aceshardware.... they could pass on a possible diagnosis or fix etc.

Whereas the 'restriction' imposed by the sequential posting format does provide that necessary limit I guess to prevent a 'real bird's nest' from happening.

BTW, I am a well known poster over at http://www.aceshardware.com/forum, though I don't have the time these days to post anymore, and am largely 'out' of the IT end of things.

Back in the late nineties.... my suppliers of computers/components was a guy here in Dublin called 'Gareth'..... when I would buy stuff from gareth I would quickly rush home and run questions by the 'aceshardware' message board... it was very surprising how useful and interesting a way this was to operate.

Hence I just kept 'garethace' hotmail and garethace handle ever since,.... even though I could be posting in completely different message boards.

Where did SW101 come from?
garethace

Postby sw101 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:03 pm

i typed it in
sw101

Postby garethace » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 pm

used it anywhere else?

or is archiseek, you first and last web-partner? :)
garethace

Postby garethace » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 pm

null
garethace

Postby helloinsane » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:46 pm

void
helloinsane

Postby sw101 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:31 am

yeah i use it everywhere really. and a derivative as an e-mail. why?

HI, get back to work you bum. what is it. 4 days left? think of all the sleep you can get after
sw101

Postby garethace » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:27 pm

No reason at all.... it is just that separating your online learning emails etc, etc.... isn't a bad idea at all.... rather than having everything coming into one mail box.
garethace

Postby sw101 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:51 pm

??
sw101

Postby garethace » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:07 pm

At least you can discontinue using a forum email, stop using it altogether....

so problems like these:

http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=115065618
garethace

Postby garethace » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:44 pm

For anyone who is interested, 10 years ago, Linux Journal held this interview with Linus:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=2736
garethace

Postby garethace » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:39 pm

Interesting thread:

http://cadence.advanstar.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=1277&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Productive R12 users were hamstrung by upgrading to R13; but were really helped with R14.

Any opinions.... ? AutoCAD Users?
garethace

Postby garethace » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:50 pm

In another thread I mentioned the IT phrase "metrics." What are metrics? It's any measurement to stuff on the computer (in IT lingo, at least). One measure of computer users is how many bytes/files do they create in some unit of time.

I had a program that was grafted to the End command that recorded the time-in-drawing, the file size, the drafter id, time and date. After a while of recording the data, I had enough to indicate some trends on what users were doing. Since I made no measure of the "difficulty" of the project, or of the day of the week, those differences generally tended to average themselves out.

Sounds good, right? Management then wanted to extrapolate how many minutes a certain amount of work took to create a "reward/punishment" line of performance. I said I couldn't do that. That the data just indicated that process X took about a half hour, plus or minus 15 minutes; that process B took about an hour, etc. So, you have to be carefull with metrics, especially around people with no real background in process efficiency. (A 10 man-hour job cannot be achieved by 5 people in half the time--a logic that escapes far too many; same as torquing a nut twice to 20 foot-pounds is not the same as once to 40.)

I find this 'metrics' approach to CAD use, has been promoted by management far too long and too much now.... it really doesn't make any sense.
garethace

Postby ro_G » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:03 pm

garethace, if you want to publish this amount of opinion in mono, maybe you shold get a diary or a blog or something. To be honest, I can't follow anything you say, and frequently dont want to as it is not conversation, just diatribe.

can someone give garethace a blog?
ro_G

Postby garethace » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:02 pm

Just a couple of thoughts... maybe, this you might relate to?

I have seen "old-timers" and kids out of school come through here. My money, for the long haul is on the kids just coming into the trade. Although woefully untrained, they are eager to learn new skills and not afraid of change. I feel that they will benifit from any upgrades, while us "old farts" seem reluctant to explore.

Or this?

I have found students to be great resources to the old timers for the program and the old timers to be great reasources to the junior staff because they can if willing learn their discipline. It is as you might say give and take.

But yeah, your point is duly noted, and a good one..... some forums 'get over' this by just dividing the board in half...... one half for the more 'technical, nitty-gritty, analytical' exploration...... which I being a young brain, who is woefully untrained.... but has lots of enthuasiasm. One where any attempts at 'general discussion' would be moved or deleted.

And another board, for 'general' discussion.... i.e. the type of discussion most favoured here at Archiseek board.

Yeah, the 'technical discussions' tend to be quieter places on the whole..... but allow us to examine issues, smaller issues perhaps in much finer detail - which Archiseek general message board is perhaps not appropriate for at all.

Brian O' Hanlon.
garethace

Previous

Return to Ireland